Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: sheridan on 09 June, 2019, 01:25:48 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 08 June, 2019, 07:13:42 PM
That said, I've just realised that the Great Beard, the nickname of a writer who is the best in his field, is a play on the Great Bard, the nickname of a writer who is the best in his field.

Would the Great Beard also be known as 'The Original Author' when his work is adapted for film?

Naah. None of his comics have ever been made into films.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

hippynumber1

Random, I know, but the chipmunks Chip and Dale - Chip 'n' Dale - Chippendale! FFS!

Frank

Thanks to Bruce Gray and Alan Marshall of the 1977 Group.  Few strips have the benefit of the same writer for forty years.

norton canes

I, Cosh

Quote from: norton canes on 04 July, 2019, 10:43:34 AM
'The Mills'
What part? I just read it as a direct reference to the Dark, Satanic ones from Jerusalem.
We never really die.

sheridan

norton canes

The current Absalom chapter. I thought it might be a sly reference to another 'Mills'.

Frank

Quote from: norton canes on 04 July, 2019, 02:59:23 PM
The current Absalom chapter. I thought it might be a sly reference to another 'Mills'.

It's not a great likeness. The Rest Of The Board are probably right, and it's just an on-the-nose Blake reference, but the tenets of reader reception theory say we should all get a speedboat.

I've only read one previous chapter of Abslalom, and the same thing did occur to me then, so I think it's probably safe to say you and me are geniuses who can see the code of the Matrix.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Not prog related, but...
"Open sesame". Open, says-a-me.
Never got that. Not until tonight when it was made obvious by an eleven year old actor in a school performance of 'Ali Baba and the Bongo Bandits'. I feel like an idiot.

SBT

sheridan

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 09 July, 2019, 10:39:36 PM
Not prog related, but...
"Open sesame". Open, says-a-me.
Never got that. Not until tonight when it was made obvious by an eleven year old actor in a school performance of 'Ali Baba and the Bongo Bandits'. I feel like an idiot.

SBT

Probably helps if you saw Popeye the Sailor Meets Ali Baba's Forty Thieves when you were eight or so, as I did!

M.I.K.

I saw said Popeye cartoon too, (probably at an even earlier age), but a variation of "open sesame" seems to have first cropped up in an 18th Century French version of 1001 Nights, so I think the fact it sounds like "says-a-me" is merely a coinkydink.

Trout

Wait... Otto Sump is Donald Trump? I'm just re-reading Get Ugly and he lives in Sump Tower. Whaaaaaat

Funt Solo

...which was built in 1980, when that strip was published.   :o
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

GordonR

Trump Tower was completed in 1983.  I doubt anyone in the UK had really heard of just another New York property developer Donald Trump when that story appeared years earlier.

When I lived in NY in 1987, he was definitely becoming A Thing by then, at least in the US.  By 1990, he and Trump Tower were well enough known to be majorly lampooned in Gremlins 2

M.I.K.

I'm sure I knew of Donald (and Ivana) Trump by the late 80s, and made the connection with Otto Sump around the same time. I definitely first heard of Ivana when she was still married to Donald, so that's pre-1991.

They were certainly both famous enough by the end of the 90s to warrant Ivana appearing as a guest on TFI Friday.