Main Menu

Wagner and Dredd

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 25 March, 2019, 04:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

After John's latest Dredd masterpiece, it's got me thinking: is there a writer, in comics or otherwise, in history who has written so many pages about his own character over so many years?  And if so, has the quality remained as high?

I'm very lucky to have grown up with his work.  It's been a part of my life since I learned to read.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JamesC

Peter O'Donnell wrote Modesty Blaise all the way through the newspaper run (1963-2001) along with a number of novels and short stories. I'm not sure how the page count would stack up compared to Wagner/Dredd though.

GordonR

Dave Sim wrote (and pencilled) over 6000 pages of Cerebus the Aardvark, which has got to take some beating.

JayzusB.Christ

Must read some Cerebus the Aardvark! Never heard the name but I recognise the character.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin YNWA

Quote from: GordonR on 25 March, 2019, 06:31:26 PM
Dave Sim wrote (and pencilled) over 6000 pages of Cerebus the Aardvark, which has got to take some beating.

I love the first 200 issues of this... even if it has problems as time goes on. The last 100, what I've read of them are very problematic. Still the work of a genius, all be it a troubled one.

IndigoPrime

Not quite in Sim territory, but Usagi Yojimbo is now over 160 issues, so that's, what, coming up to around 4000 pages of Sakai's samurai bunny? (And, in my opinion, it's a remarkably consistent run.)

Tombo

Many manga have the same creator or creative team throughout their runs.  Ranma 1/2 runs for 38 volumes, well over 6000 pages all written and drawn by one woman (Rumiko Takahashi).  The English translation of One Piece is currently up to 89 volumes (c. 19'000+ pages), again a single creator (Eiichiro Oda).  Golgo 13 is up to volume 188 and Kochira Katsushika-ku Kameari Kōen-mae Hashutsujo finished at 200 volumes (and that doesn't include a number of chapters which weren't collected)

Granted these, like most manga, are B&W with just the occasional colour page but those are big figures.

GordonR

The manga guys have studios full of people working on these books. It might be their sole name on the cover, but these are big collaborative projects.

Richard

Finding out that Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone didn't really write all of those books with their names on them was a bit like finding out Father Christmas wasn't real.

At least I can be reasonably confident that John Wagner is one person.

Dandontdare

Unless you look at old progs when he can be up to four at a time!

Trout

Quote from: Richard on 26 March, 2019, 07:47:49 PM
Finding out that Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone didn't really write all of those books with their names on them was a bit like finding out Father Christmas wasn't real.

Whaaaaaaat

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Richard on 26 March, 2019, 07:47:49 PM

:o

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Richard on 26 March, 2019, 07:47:49 PMFinding out that Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone didn't really write all of those books with their names on them was a bit like finding out Father Christmas wasn't real.
I'm glad I kicked Livingstone's arse at Virtua Tennis now.

SIP

To be fair....the authors name on each fighting fantasy book is clearly shown on the inside cover, the front name was intended more as a "Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone present" sort of thing wasnt it?. Outside the first book, the only ones that they actually wrote (I think) were the ones that just had their individual names on. At least that was my understanding.

Magnetica

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 27 March, 2019, 07:14:06 AM

Even if TB Grover wasn't  :D