Main Menu

Prog 2144 War Crimes and Retribution

Started by Proudhuff, 10 August, 2019, 02:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

A great selection of classic 2K stories and art, in a cover that will annoy parents everywhere.

Damage Report: Cyber-Matt finally gets Windows, or did I miss something?
Droid Life returns

Dredd: wow! And I thought those boots were Dredd's! I know this is in the spoilers section, but I hope no-one reveals that last page, did not either of those two things to happen :o well done the Williams/Weston droids, extra synth-lube alround!

IP continues to mix scale and backstories and brings in one of histories real nasties.

Anderson: the set up is complete, it's all a bit too Misty for me.

Thistlebone climaxes and won't please everyone

Jaegir returns and is set up perfectly in five pages, General Kovert has a hint of Cam Kennedy's style about him, no bad thing, looking forward to this series playing out over the next month or so, just wish it would be around longer!

Thang promises Sin/Dex next week and a jumping on prog at the end of September.
DDT did a job on me

Richard

Pretty impressive Dredd this week. It concludes next week, and it's hard to see how.

Above average Droid Life.

Thistlebone has a good ending, but it does feel like a Terror Tale stretched out to ten episodes.

I enjoyed Indigo Prime, especially the last page, which made me think of [spoiler]Britain after Brexit.[/spoiler]

Anderson finishes, and Jaegir carries on where it left off.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Frank on 10 August, 2019, 03:10:57 PM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 10 August, 2019, 02:36:03 PM
General Kovert

You're kidding me.

Helm, Gunnar, Bagman, Major Magnum, a war-criminal hunter called "Hunter".... and you find this surprising?

GordonR

Quote from: Dandontdare on 10 August, 2019, 03:27:08 PM
General Kovert

You're kidding me.

Helm, Gunnar, Bagman, Major Magnum, a war-criminal hunter called "Hunter".... and you find this surprising?

Colonel Kovert is a character in the original Rogue stories.  This is the same GFD Nu Earth character, a few years further down the timeline.

TordelBack

Quote from: GordonR on 10 August, 2019, 03:36:57 PM
Colonel Kovert is a character in the original Rogue stories.  This is the same GFD Nu Earth character, a few years further down the timeline.

The first casualty of eternal war is alliteration.

IP continues to mix scale and backstories and brings in one of histories real nasties.

Molcher's in IP? Now that is some transdimensional horror.

Colin YNWA

Well we get an absolute winner of a Prog with two endings. The first is a bit of a surprise in that I've not enjoyed Anderson much to date but have to be honest I thought it ended pretty well and while it wasn't perfect and I still have issues with the art it was certainly a uptick.

The second ending is no surprise in that Thistlebone nails it for me. Its genuinely horrible in the best possible way. This has been a brilliant series and I suspect will stand up very well on re-read. I'd say more please, but suspect it should be left where it is.

Elsewhere we get a swap out and while Jaegir was never going to stand up to the end of Absalom its makes a damned fine fist of it with a great opener. As Proudhuff says nice Cam Kennedy touches to further echo the characters past appearance.

Indigo Prime continues to challenge and delight with a truly evil reveal at the end. Similarly Dredd has a shocker of an ending and is quite, quite brilliant.

With promises of Dabnett and Yeowell back on Sinister Dexter next week I'm a happy camper in the green fields of Tharg's organ.

73north

Frankly , Highlight for me this Saturday WAS Jaegir -
and so glad to see the back of Emma Beeby's Anderson PSI Division -
just boring and formulaic , while Thistlebone , one the other hand was pretty damn good
I really enjoyed the latest Dredd - in Contact - and can't wait for the final part next week
Indigo Prime was not too bad either , although I have to concentrate hard to follow it !

Jaegir tonight yet again reminded me why I pay to be a subscriber -
let me start by saying that for me - JAEGIR is absolutely wonderful.
Gordon Rennie and Simon Coleby have done an great instalment with the latest Story Valkrie - JAEGIR: and written a 7th Cavalry to the rescue story .
look forward to reading this until the end of this arc
( note to 2000AD - please commission more of this !! )

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: GordonR on 10 August, 2019, 03:36:57 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 10 August, 2019, 03:27:08 PM
General Kovert

You're kidding me.

Thought the name sounded familiar.  Haven't read the prog yet but it sounds like a belter.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Richard

Colonel Kovert was my favourite story in the original series (unless we count Cinnabar). I'm glad to see him back. Wasn't he also in Hunted?

Jacqusie

Quote from: 73north on 11 August, 2019, 11:22:10 AM
so glad to see the back of Emma Beeby's Anderson PSI Division - just boring and formulaic   

Whilst I don't think the art did the story any favours (including those gaudy colours) it's a been another failure to give Anderson a re-boot with a script that seemed to dissapear up it's own bum. In trying to discipher a story that in the end really didn't amount to anything, it was all too much like hard work.

Good story telling it wasn't and this seems to sadly be all too apparent in the prog these days, where the script writers seem to insist on making it all rather elaborate in their attempts to take us into labyrinthine plots, which fall rather short in actually allowing the story to be enjoyable.

Story-telling isn't easy, but Anderson hasn't had a decent run for years, coupled with the fact she 's drawn as a 30 year old, she now seems such a throw-away character, lacking any gravitas or connection to MC1 where she was an integral part of the system and bigger plot lines.

Mike Dowling has drawn the best Anderson of recent times and it was wonderful to see David Roach return to the strip, so where has it all gone wrong...  again...?

Frank

Durham Grey

Kid Knee-surgery

Incontinence Pad Jack Keller

Finnigan Senile and Ramon Dementia

Bald City Blue

Nikolai Dentagrip

Velcro-fastener Man

Hewligan's Hearing-aid

Tom Zimmer Frame

Mike Carey Home

Post Office Book of The Dead