Main Menu

Flesh Final book

Started by broodblik, 13 February, 2023, 08:04:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Looks like Pat believe his up to it:

Hey - thanks for the encouragement. I've just written to 2000AD to see if they're up for it
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

GordonR

Wow. The frantic back-pedalling's begun even sooner than expected.

IndigoPrime

"To clarify, when I said Rebellion was a blood sucking leech forcing comics creators into lives of destitution, I meant that in a positive way."

Odds on a new Sláine series also now rocking up at some point?

I mean, fair enough if he found the grass isn't greener or he just wants to finish stories that have no other outlet. But it might at some point be nice if he'd stop slagging off Rebellion so much when the company is still happy publishing his work and now getting Finn of all things into two sets of reprint. (Some consistency regarding creator rights would be good too. One can only assume the artist credit oversight for Accident Man will be rectified for the sequel, after the strongest possible lobbying, right?)

13school

Sounds like I'm in the minority around here but the possibility of having Mills in the prog with some new writing, even just to wrap up a long running series, is something I'm looking forward to

Link Prime

Quote from: 13school on 15 February, 2023, 10:23:43 AMSounds like I'm in the minority around here but the possibility of having Mills in the prog with some new writing, even just to wrap up a long running series, is something I'm looking forward to

I'm with ya kid.

nxylas

Quote from: Max Headroom on 13 February, 2023, 07:07:48 PMI am hoping this comes about. But more than that I would really like Pat to finish 'Defoe'. Maybe there is hope for all parties to be reconciled now and Mr Mills to write more stuff?
It seems to have been dissatisfaction with Tharg's choice of artist on Defoe that led Pat to create Spacewarp, so that he could choose his own artists. So I won't hold my breath.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

broodblik

Quote from: nxylas on 15 February, 2023, 12:37:52 PM
Quote from: Max Headroom on 13 February, 2023, 07:07:48 PMI am hoping this comes about. But more than that I would really like Pat to finish 'Defoe'. Maybe there is hope for all parties to be reconciled now and Mr Mills to write more stuff?
It seems to have been dissatisfaction with Tharg's choice of artist on Defoe that led Pat to create Spacewarp, so that he could choose his own artists. So I won't hold my breath.

Colin MacNeil or Stewart Kenneth Moore? because Stewart Kenneth Moore was chosen by Pat if I am not mistaken
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

rogue69

Looks like this will not be happening as Pat just tweeted
Reply from 2000AD:  'Thanks, Pat, but not planning to commission any further Flesh.' So I'm afraid that's the end. But thanks to everyone for your encouragement and support  for Flesh. It's really appreciated

GordonR

Good of him to immediately make a private and confidential email public.

IndigoPrime

Mm. Maybe he hopes it'll rally the troops. Then all the people who aren't buying 2000 AD anymore can say they're going to cancel their non-existent subscriptions, because a series Mills said he'd never write any more of (which Matt Smith must have factored into his plans) now has a possible potential continuation that has been nixed.

(Gah. All this is so depressing. Mills was responsible for some of the most mind-boggling strips that got me into 2000 AD in the first place. The initial run on Nemesis. Early Sláine. Metalzoic.)

nxylas

Quote from: broodblik on 15 February, 2023, 12:58:08 PMColin MacNeil or Stewart Kenneth Moore? because Stewart Kenneth Moore was chosen by Pat if I am not mistaken
I just checked Be Pure... and you're right. According to Pat (and I'm just reporting what he said, so don't shoot the messenger) Moore "hijacked" his strip by, um having ideas of his own. And Matt refused to intervene in the dispute. That's a potted version, there's a bit more about it in the book.

IndigoPrime

Bloody artists getting above their station and having ideas of their own.

Trooper McFad

If it ever got close to what we see in Tin man then we are not going to be missing much!

Let sleeping dino's lie.
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

nxylas

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 15 February, 2023, 03:12:48 PMIf it ever got close to what we see in Tin man then we are not going to be missing much!

Let sleeping dinos lie.
You're probably right, but at the same time, I hate knowing that there's one more book of Flesh that I'll never get to read. Flesh was my favourite story in Prog 1, so I have an unreasonable attachment to it.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: nxylas on 15 February, 2023, 02:50:48 PMMoore "hijacked" his strip by, um having ideas of his own. And Matt refused to intervene in the dispute. That's a potted version, there's a bit more about it in the book.

Mills, a famously-interfering editor who equally famously hates editorial interference (cf: the two-decade-long, somewhat aysmmetric, feud with Andy Diggle) complains about lack of editorial interference.

Film at eleven.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.