Main Menu

Nintendo Switch

Started by radiator, 20 October, 2016, 04:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

I can't believe they're porting Assassin's Creed 3.
It's far from the best in the series and it's already been out on Wii U. They'd have been better off porting the Ezio trilogy or Black Flag - at least those games are bonefied classics.

Keef Monkey

It is a very odd choice, I'm sure it has its fans but it seems to be pretty universally regarded as the weakest of the games. I didn't find it much worse than your average AC to be honest, but it's definitely nowhere near as good as something like Black Flag.

Very curious to try Tetris, if only because on paper the idea that even Tetris now has a battle royale really made me chuckle.

James Stacey

Assassins creed 3 also looks like it runs like arse on the switch which doesnt help

JamesC

a runny arse is never good.

Link Prime

Very excited for Mario Maker 2 and the Links Awakening remake.

I've spent countless hours playing the original Mario Maker on the Wii U, creating my own courses and playing the varied range of courses available online.

The core concept for this game is genius, it'll be sure to get more widespread appreciation with the prolific Switch.

radiator

I had Mario Maker on the 3DS. It was fun to play around with for a few minutes, but I never really made anything that good with it. So if I get the Switch sequel it'll primarily be to play other people's levels rather than making my own.

Tiplodocus

Is it just me or is INTO THE BREACH rock hard?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

HdE

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 15 March, 2019, 12:12:32 AM

I've only looked at it briefly. So far, I like it, but yes, VERY tough to get to grips with.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Keef Monkey

Yeah it's tough as nails. I beat it eventually after many, many attempts over one intense weekend at the in-laws. Hugely satisfying once you get to grips with it, and when I did complete the final mission it was by the skin of my teeth and felt amazing. There are still a couple of islands I haven't seen because I went to the final mission as soon as it unlocked, but I was scraping through things so narrowly that I didn't fancy I could beat another island!

I've been playing a really interesting puzzle game on the Vita called The Bridge, where the levels look like Escher pieces and you rotate the screen to change gravity and perspective. It's brilliant, and after finishing the main levels I was almost at the end of the harder 'mirrored' versions, but with two levels to go I've hit a bug that's stopped progression sadly. There are keys on chains around some of the levels, and they have physics and swing around as gravity shifts, something has happened to my save file where now the physics of all keys on all levels is busted - they're just placed locked in position instead of moving on the chains.

Took me a while of being massively stuck on a level before I gave in and checked a walkthrough and realized mine were busted! It's pretty annoying, I was really close to properly finishing the thing, and I can't find any workarounds or fixes online (I've tried all my ex-QA tactics to try and reset things to no avail). It was made by a single developer I think so I've messaged him to see if he knows a workaround, if anyone will it'll be him!

A game I did manage to finish finally though is Spider-Man, which was bloody brilliant. Essentially does for Spider-Man what the Arkham games did for Batman, and a lot of its structure and systems are lifted directly from that franchise, and it feels fantastic to swing around and fight baddies as Spidey. Plus the story is surprisingly great, the writing is excellent and the performances are great, I was fully invested! Some aspects become a bit of a chore before the end, a late-game event makes the city a lot less fun to get around, and the controls are so fluid and well designed that when they occasionally go a bit wrong (after tens of hours with the game I still don't know how to quickly and gracefully get off a wall I've accidentally attached to) it's a bit jarring, but all minor quibbles in a fantastic package.

Also hit the odd bug with this one, mainly with enemies ragdolling through collision holes and getting stuck in walls or props. A couple of times during fight challenges/outpost battles I thought I wasn't going to be able to beat the last enemy because they were stuck inside a crate somewhere, but turned out the suit powers with splash damage could kill them through walls so that was lucky (the guitar ability did the trick usually).

Also you can unlock an animated comic-book style outfit which looks absolutely incredible swinging around the photo-realistic city, there's a real Roger Rabbit disconnect with it but it looked so wild that I stuck with it throughout.

Keef Monkey

Just realized I wasn't in the Last Game Played thread, none of these are on Switch! Oops!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: HdE on 15 March, 2019, 12:42:33 AM

I've only looked at it briefly. So far, I like it, but yes, VERY tough to get to grips with.

Given up on it. Can't beat the first level on easy. Life too short.
Lock up your spoons!

NapalmKev

Redacted! Apologies, wrong thread!

cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Tiplodocus

After a couple of goes, I caved and switched to EASY on my Kelvin timeline. I finished the first island...  hoping I can manage a couple more before I have to reset. But, yeah, I'm getting into it.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Colin YNWA

So we're had our Switch for over two months now and I don't think I've ever enjoyed having a games console so much and this weekend it just got worse as I realised if you look at the offers you can buy download games - good games - for bobbins.

I got Runbow for like £7 and its soooo good. If infuriating to my inept gaming hands. But I keep going back for punishment as it sooooo good as I said. So good. Unless spending £7 means you won't eat this week buy this game. If it means you won't eat this week consider it anyway.

What else has been eatting my soul (I'm making myself not play it tonight just to see if I still can!)

Well we (me and the kids) finished Cat Quest and I enjoyed it immensely - the kids even more so and we can't wait for Cat Quest 2 later this years.

Before Runbow assaulted my senses it was Mario Kart that I kept going back to, so addictive and even though I loved the bits of Rocket League we got around to playing its not yet got to the top of the pile, but it will I'm sure its very good fun.

On discovering the availability of cheap downloadable games in loading up for a holiday we're going on soon I've purchased and played enough to be excited by Yoku's Island Express, Candle and Escape from Doodle Land.

I haven't played enough of Fallout yet but looks good if extra purchases aren't a must and I was very tempted by The Flame in the Flood but I'm not sure it'll be suitable for the kids alas - looked soooo good though.

The only 'failure' is Mario Odyssey - which we did a lendy swap with one of Child 2s friends for Cat Quest -which I enjoyed for a while but pretty quickly tired of its scale, strange as that sounds. It was all a bit daunting and for all its bright lights and variable puzzles didn't do enough to keep me away from Maio Kart and now Runbow. Still to be fair the kids love it! Although child 1 was cursing at Runbow earlier so I might have broken her too!

radiator

For anyone contemplating picking up Cuphead, be warned.

Despite the welcoming visuals and presentation, this is a game with very limited appeal and value to all but the most hardcore/patient/masochistic players.

I consider myself as someone with fairly good gaming skills and I figured I'd get far enough to get my moneys worth, but I'd had enough of it after about an hour. There's really nothing to ease the player into the game - the difficulty curve is basically a brick wall almost from the very start. I can kind of see the appeal of wearing each boss down, gradually improving incrementally  with each lost life (and ten minutes of your time) but I just don't have the time or patience.