Main Menu

Art of 2000AD book

Started by LARF, 23 March, 2005, 03:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LARF

How about a collected book showing all the various art and artists that have appeared in 2000AD?

+rufus+

It would be truly fantasti....IF done properly.
 I'd still like to see the 'Thrill Power Overload' expanded and made into a GN. Senor Bishop has been gathering more material, and we have a wealth of original art to repro, so it would go some ways to addressing the art side, with all the background to it being commissioned. It's really sad that Rebellion hasn't pulled it's enormous thumb out. Another great 2000AD missed opportunity?
Watch this space....
rufus

Generally Contrary

A quality Taschen-style book would be good.  But it would be expensive.

+rufus+

A Taschen Book (or series..)would be ideal (hint hint Dominic), it'd also open up a new marketplace for 2000AD sales.
R

Funt Solo

I'd buy it.  You could have comparisons between early and late work where there have been dramatic changes in style (where an obvious example would me Mike McMahon.)

I was also pondering recently how a book of classic covers might be groovy.  This would probably require some sort of text discussion to make it viable, but then again maybe not.

I also thought something like the 2000AD Diary but without the diary.  I could never write in it anyway:  it seemed like sacrilege (sp?).
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

+rufus+

There was plans at one point to reprint 2000AD from Prog 1 up, in those big manga book formats that Marvel have so successfully mined with their B&W reprints.
At the first Dreddcon they were selling dummy copies of Prog 1-10 and 11-20. They were ratherly poorly done (pages cropped very badly), but it was a great idea.
R

Jared Katooie

"There was plans at one point to reprint 2000AD from Prog 1 up, in those big manga book formats that Marvel have so successfully mined with their B&W reprints."

Hehe. I remeber going on about big reprint books in my very first post. I still think it's a good idea. I'd say they'd sell really well, even among non-squaxx because the twmptation of getting a big collection at a reasonable price is pretty irresistable.

If they focised on one character (ala Marvel again) that would still leave room for reprinting stuff in the meg and via extreme editions.

Oddboy

The first two collections are still for sale online - #1-10 and #11-20.

But they're a whopping ?24.99.

I've got the second one, as I'm missing 11-20 in my prog collection. It's probably cheaper then buying the originals, but it's still quite a bit for what it is (the colour pages are reproduced in blotchy black & white).

Link: https://secure.2000adonline.com/secure/index.php?PageRequired=shop&Level=2&Category=BOOKS&SubCategory=BOOKS" target="_blank">2K Shop

Better set your phaser to stun.

Oddboy

J-K, the DC and/or Rebellion books are covering the Characters complete runs pretty well at the moment.

But I think there's still room for continuing the 'Digital Archives' run.
If they were able to reproduce the colour pages in colour then ?25 a pop would be more reasonable.
If they were that good, I'd replace my comics with them.
Better set your phaser to stun.

robbycox

I'd love to see a book produced by Rebellion covering all aspects of 2000ad artwork, it'd be great to see comparisons of artwork from all the different ages of 2000ad, and (to my mind anyway) Bishop would be the ideal person to do it.
Rob.

Smiley

Someone's bound to get around to it eventually. There was this bother about missing films and stuff, though. Dunno how that's come on since.

IIRC the folks behind The Mega-History wanted to do one about Dredd artists. In the meantime it's well worth getting a copy of True Brit, if you haven't already.

(Always fancied something along the lines of the cover gallery in the back of this 1993 BO2K special, but done as a glossy paperback.)

http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/specials/mediumres/bo2k1993.jpg>

Art

I'd sooner see a book collecting Thrill Power Overload, maybe with a few extra interviews, with a shit load of images in the back.

Funt Solo

Lost the films?

I've often wondered if Tharg has a full collection of 2000AD's or not.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Max Kon

'all the various art'

Surely that would be every strip and cover ever printed?

IndigoPrime

In my opinion, the target market for the digital archives was very strange. The product was targetted at those people who already have the progs and want to protect them by not reading them. IMO, it would have made more sense to go down the Manga-style telephone directory route?cheaper paper, and maybe 50 Progs for ?20.