Main Menu

Mega City Book Club - a new podcast about 2000AD books

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 23 May, 2016, 08:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Just caught up with the Darkie's Mob and beginning of the Bad Company double header. I call them double headers as I think Roland perfectly lays out the connective tissue between the two and the thematic links really well. Looking forward to finishing  what appears to be a very good breakdown and analysis of the rest of Bad Company.

The Darkie's Mob discussion is what's drawn me here. Firstly wonderful episode as ever. Great insight into a truly great comic. The discussion has reminded of a man called Les who used to live across the road from us when I was a teenager. Les fought and was captured in the Burma campaign and though he didn't talk much about it would on occasion open up about the pain he under went as a captive of the Imperial Army. He, as was discussed, really struggled to forgive the Japanese for the horrors he witnessed and were inflicited upon him. Yet he also had an inspiring view of that inability to forgive, an insight that I've found folks who have been through such astonishing experiences can often have.

He used to tell that while he was never able to forgive the Japanese that was a massive failing on his part. His view. Primarily as for years he carried that anger with a sense of justice, given what he'd been through. Later though as he learnt, from encounters, or reading of the horrors, committed in the name of the British Empire he hoped the folks who those brutal actions were committed against didn't feel about the British people the way he felt about the Japanese. He realised that the dehumanising aspect of great powers, feeling an innate superiority to those that are other, was what the problem was. And sadly he died, to my knowledge, knowing that and yet still unable to forgive his 'enemy'.

Eamonn Clarke

Dave Grice is back to take me through the Bond like romp of Zenith phase 2 by Grant Morrison and Steve Yeowell.

In your podcast app or at
https://megacitybookclub.blogspot.com/2021/07/159-zenith-phase-2.html

sheridan

It's been a while since I read the lot, but as I recall, the events of Phase II resulted in the birth of Zenith's son, who due to extra-dimensional, existing-in-all-of-time-and-space shenanigans ended up being Iok Sotot (the Lloigor from Phase I).

Oh, and at least one of the superhumans that Zenith mated with was a clone of his mum.  I'm going to guess the other was Ruby Fox, but that's just a guess.  Could be one of those other sixties superhumans, like the one who fell through a mirror to another dimension (pay close attention).

Eamonn Clarke

Cheers, Sheridan. I'd forgotten all that. More to come.

Here is David's grail page with that tricky reflection.

Eamonn Clarke

Folk horror in the prog with Thistlebone from T.C.Eglington and Simon Davis. Tony Esmond takes me into the dark woods around Harrowvale, and we discuss his own comics, reviews, and podcast.

https://megacitybookclub.blogspot.com/2021/07/160-thistlebone.html

Colin YNWA

Eamonn Clarke

Rob Foster joins the book club to discuss the return of Johnny Alpha in The Project & Dogs of War. We talk about bringing back comic book characters from the dead and creators taking ownership of their heroes.

In your podcast app or on the website at
https://megacitybookclub.blogspot.com/2021/07/161-life-and-death-of-johnny-alpha_02023364488.html

Rogue Judge

Eamonn, thanks again for having me on the MCBC. I dont get the opportunity to discuss much 2000AD here in Canada so it was a blast discussing Strontium Dog and all things 2000AD with you!

In this episode we chat about this very forum, how it countributed greatly to my 2000AD journey (thanks all!) and some of the contirbutions of it's members (incluidng Colin's voting polls, Alex's creator blog and Space Spinner 2000) - so go on and give it a listen!

For liseners reference, below is the page I have from the story as discussed in the episode. I think it's safe to say that any Carlos page is a grail page! Also, Colin MacNeil has finished the Stront Commission we discuss and it's beautiful - I'll post it when it eventually arrives, looking forward to sharing it!

Eamonn Clarke

Cheers, Rob. Thanks for posting that piece of art and great news about the power of the forum.

Colin YNWA

Well as soon as Rob (Rogue Judge) mentioned that you'd commented on the polls in one of the... well many... poll threads my ego demanded that this episode pop immediately to the top of the listen pile and listen I did.

Firstly another great episode. Secondly lovely that Rob is enjoying the endless tourneys I pollute this place with. Most importantly however it is great, GREAT to hear Rob speak so warmly of the forum and remind us of our most important purpose. While we might enjoy whittering nonsense amongst ourselves. We might - like certain Gaulish Villagers - enjoy the occasional brawl in the middle of our home. The best thing we can do however, is help new readers settle into the comic that we all love. By doing that and being a support for fresh blood we do our little part in keeping the thing going and enriching our own community.

Have to to say with all of his genius projects etc I don't think of Rob as new, but its lovely to here such nice things about this place well done to both of you for reminding us how important it is to be welcoming.

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 07 August, 2021, 03:55:29 PM
Well as soon as Rob (Rogue Judge) mentioned that you'd commented on the polls in one of the... well many... poll threads my ego demanded that this episode pop immediately to the top of the listen pile and listen I did.

Firstly another great episode. Secondly lovely that Rob is enjoying the endless tourneys I pollute this place with. Most importantly however it is great, GREAT to hear Rob speak so warmly of the forum and remind us of our most important purpose. While we might enjoy whittering nonsense amongst ourselves. We might - like certain Gaulish Villagers - enjoy the occasional brawl in the middle of our home. The best thing we can do however, is help new readers settle into the comic that we all love. By doing that and being a support for fresh blood we do our little part in keeping the thing going and enriching our own community.

Have to to say with all of his genius projects etc I don't think of Rob as new, but its lovely to here such nice things about this place well done to both of you for reminding us how important it is to be welcoming.

Well said, sir

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 07 August, 2021, 03:55:29 PM
GREAT to hear Rob speak so warmly of the forum and remind us of our most important purpose.

Convincing new members that there's an entrance fee and quietly pocketing the PayPal receipts...?

Did I say that out loud?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.