Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhizzBang

Great to have it back. During the fallow period, I went back and started from the beginning and produced the following list of highlight quotes from the 1977 shows.

Episode 1 (progs 1 - 5)
Fox and Conrad enjoy the childish action nature of the launch strips, free gifts and the concept of 2000AD being robot produced and edited by an alien.
"So fucking awesome" - Fox's first ever expressed opinion on any 2000ad story (Invasion)
"She's the strongest female character in 2000AD" - Conrad on Old One Eye
"Dan Dare is the most boring character ever created" - Fox
"The team manages to win their first game, they beat the Baltimore Bulls which is a team of police officers and which is a weird commentary on 2016 politics somehow" - Conrad
"If we end up at prog 500...or even 100" - Conrad pondering how far the podcast will go
"Oi loik dinosaurs but I would loik them to fight cowboys!"  - Conrad speculating on the market research opinions expressed by 1970's British youth

Singing: Conrad sings Anthrax's "I Am The Law"

Episode 2 (progs 6 - 10)
Conrad highlights a letter that complains about how bad sci-fi films are and Tharg replies that readers should look out for the new film coming out in 1977 called 'StarWars' which might change the reader's mind.
"You are reminded constantly that his wife and son are dead and he is just going to destroy everything" - Fox on Invasion
"This kid's a prick" - Conrad's assessment of the first child to die in the pages of 2000AD (Flesh)
"It's 1977. man - you've just got to assume the USSR is going to be there forever" - Conrad  (Harlem Heroes)
"This wasn't the worst this week but it was also definately the worst" - Fox (Dan Dare)
"As soon as he started saying his own name - Call Me Kenneth - I got really happy" - Fox (Judge Dredd)

Episode 3 (progs 11 - 14)
"When all you have is a shotgun then the whole world looks like something that can be shotgunned" - Conrad (Invasion)
"Authority figures who think they know everything but are in fact wrong is a continuing theme of 2000ad" - Conrad (Flesh)
"I did not detest it this time" - Fox after the introduction of The Mekon (Dan Dare)
"Oh no!" - Fox on learning that Walter's speech impediment is permannent
"Is it racist? Oh, baby it's super racist!" - Conrad on MACH 1

Singing: Conrad sings the Heavy Metal Kids song
Episode 4 (progs 15 - 18)
"There's at least two 'quarry' based puns per page" - Conrad (Invasion)
Massimo Bellardinelli is the first artist credited in 2000AD and is discussed by Fox and Conrad (Dan Dare)

2000ad recurring themes
Danger acid makes its first appearance.
Explanation for the Bermuda triangle (MACH 1)
Call Me Kenneth is 2000AD villain who admires Adolf Hitler (Judge Dredd)
Stamp collecting ads

Episode 5 (progs 19 - 23)
"You wouldn't think that what's essentially kind of the same story over and over again...would remain the greatest thing ever - but it totally does!" Conrad (Invasion)
"I wouldn't give it to some kid that likes polar bears as an educational book" Conrad /(Shako)

2000ad recurring themes
- Biker gang (Invasion)
Episode 7 (progs 24 - 27)
"Quack quack Volgs!"
"I am a wuss from 35 years in the past from this comic but even one person dieing in the course of a game seems like a non-trivial amount" - Conrad (Harlem Heroes)
"In real life I'm terrified of bear attacks but I love them in print format" Conrad (Shako)
"All eskimos secretly want to kill everyone with bears" Fox (Shako)

2000ad recurring themes
- Size difference based story - Tiny aliems (Future Shock)

Episode 8 (progs 28 - 31)
Rico and Judge Giant first stories.
" ...we see Judge Dredd becoming colder and more efficient, and speaking of things which are cold and efficient THRILL THREE SHAKO!!!"
Transition fro Dredd to Shako

"So this series has gone from shit and garbage and tat to really great and I love it" Fox (Dan Dare)

2000ad recurring themes
Stamp collecting ads ("more interesting than the feature"- Fox)
It was earth all along (x3) (Future Shocks)

Episode 10 (progs 32 - 36)
Credit cards introduced.
"Judge Dredd kinda Die Hards his way through the hotel" - Conrad on Judge Dredd Computel
"He's got his puns working and that's all anyone can have" - Conrad on Dan Dare
"It's Gulliver's Travels if that was about murder" - Fox on Dan Dare

2000ad recurring themes
- Size difference based story - Giant pool table (Future Shock)

Episode 11 (progs 37 - 40)
Haircuts!
"They are being billetted inside the same boarding house that Savage, Silk and the Prince go to because there is no third amendment in England - that's right, shots fired again!" - Conrad (Invasion)

Episode 12 (progs 41 - 45)
"You've got to have these post kill quips otherwise what's the point?" - Conrad (Invasion)
"That was a really, really, really, good episode! - Fox, "This one prog is one of the greatest things I have ever seen in my life" - Conrad (M.A.C.H. 1)

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Leigh S on 01 March, 2022, 08:14:44 PM
In celebration, I have updated the SS2000 spreadsheet

Quote from: WhizzBang on 02 March, 2022, 06:26:00 PM
Great to have it back. During the fallow period, I went back and started from the beginning and produced the following list of highlight quotes from the 1977 shows.

Oh my gosh this is so amazing, I'm in awe! Again I'm really sorry the show was out of commission for so long, but we're back on track and on the new weekly cadence.

Also Leigh...as episode 300 nears, can you share a link to that spreadsheet? :D
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

sheridan

Quote from: Pyroxian on 02 March, 2022, 05:19:11 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 01 March, 2022, 09:06:23 PM
Quote from: Leigh S on 01 March, 2022, 08:14:44 PM
In celebration, I have updated the SS2000 spreadsheet

Oh that is fantastic - and also very revealing. Poor ol' Kola Kommandos and Wolfie they didn't deserve such a hard time.

I'm sure Kola Kommandos will get bumped out once Big Dave is covered...

By my calculation, appearing next week on Space Spinner 2000 (so Conrad and Fox will already have read the first installments with the 1993 Summer Offensive).

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: sheridan on 06 March, 2022, 03:40:48 PM
By my calculation, appearing next week on Space Spinner 2000 (so Conrad and Fox will already have read the first installments with the 1993 Summer Offensive).
Indeed!

In our thrilling two hundred and seventy-sixth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 840-843 of 2000AD, covering June & July 1993. This episode we're finishing up the thrills of spring so we can get scorched by the Summer Offensive, as Inferno, Really & Truly, Slaughterbowl, Maniac 5, and Big Dave arrive at last!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

sheridan

Listened to half of it the other day (follow the Patreon for early releases, folks!) - shall listen to the rest now :-)

Leigh S

No problems, Conrad

I will update it for this weeks, then arrange for ti to get to you!

sheridan

The reference in Big Dave is probably a reference to Nelson Mandela House from popular and long-running sitcom Only Fools and Horses (where the three/four main characters lived in a council flat in said tower block).

sheridan

Or it could be what you said about Martin Luther King - but Nelson Mandela being the namesake of a council estate would make most Brits think of Only Fools and Horses.

sheridan

p.s. Canonbury is a district in North London, between Highbury & Islington and Hackney.  The Archbishop of Canterbury is the senior bishop and principal leader of the Church of England.  The Archbishop of Canonbury... isn't.

The Monarch

could be both tbh god i hate big dave this....this shit is why i jumped to sonic the comic when it came out

Pyroxian

Quote from: The Monarch on 07 March, 2022, 04:34:26 PM
could be both tbh god i hate big dave this....this shit is why i jumped to sonic the comic when it came out

Yeah, I carried on for a bit longer, but then this new thing called Magic: The Gathering started sucking up all my money... (And the cards I bought then ended up worth a shedload more than the progs I would have bought :D )

JayzusB.Christ

Been looking forward to this one!  I liked Big Dave, Really and Truly, and Slaughterbowl, even if I'm in a minority of one with the first two. Can't wait to hear what a pair of Americans make of it all! Keep up the good work, guys, I genuinely love your podcast.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: sheridan on 07 March, 2022, 03:35:55 PM
p.s. Canonbury is a district in North London, between Highbury & Islington and Hackney.  The Archbishop of Canterbury is the senior bishop and principal leader of the Church of England.  The Archbishop of Canonbury... isn't.

However much I think I know about english stuff there's always something new and perplexing!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our mega thirty-second episode Eli and Conrad continue their patrol through the world of Judge Dredd with volume two, issues 31-34 of the Judge Dredd Megazine, covering June, July, and August of 1993. This episode we're heading to Albion with Armitage, Brit-Cit-Brute, and Calhab Justice, as Anderson and Orlock fight ancient aliens on Mars!

The audio on this one is terrible, but we really wanted to get this episode out in a timely fashion. We will be back on track next time, thanks for bearing with us!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

AlexF

Anderson: Childhood's End was the first time I'd come across the idea that maybe aliens invented human civilisation. I thought it was the coolest thing ever, especially when Orlok cried.