Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: The Monarch on 17 May, 2022, 02:42:42 AM
i am second guessing myself....is that terror tale that was mentioned an old scream castoff? or is it just a homage to scream?

I'd have to see the pic of Tharg which Conrad mentions before weighing in with my opinion.  Seems quite a way after Scream! folded to dig the story out of the slush pile though.

WhizzBang

Quote from: sheridan on 17 May, 2022, 11:41:57 AM
Seems quite a way after Scream! folded to dig the story out of the slush pile though.
Scream folded into Eagle which went on until 1994, so it may have been done for Eagle.

sheridan

Quote from: WhizzBang on 17 May, 2022, 03:46:44 PM
Seems quite a way after Scream! folded to dig the story out of the slush pile though.
Scream folded into Eagle which went on until 1994, so it may have been done for Eagle.

(Plus there were Scream! specials for a while, but I think they were like early 2000AD specials - not the usual creators).

Link Prime

Quote from: The Monarch on 17 May, 2022, 02:42:42 AM
i am second guessing myself....is that terror tale that was mentioned an old scream castoff? or is it just a homage to scream?

I'd have to see the pic of Tharg which Conrad mentions before weighing in with my opinion.  Seems quite a way after Scream! folded to dig the story out of the slush pile though.

Typing blind here, as I don't listen to the podcast (sorry), but if I recall correctly, the initial run of (four) Terror Tales all had a sign-off image of a skeletonized Tharg's head - could have been a Scream homage, or just a quirky way to differentiate the series from yer standard Future Shocks.

The image in question was drawn by Paul Marshall* (as was the series banner), in "Vintage Marshall" style.
I actually attempted to buy the original art for it from Paul several years ago, but he no longer had it.

*With the exception of the one drawn by Mick Austin himself at the end of his Terror Tale in Prog 840.

SpaceSpinner2000

Terror Tales definitely have a skeleton Tharg head, but the one in this annual looks a LOT like Ghastly McNasty here!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Leigh S

Given its Alan McKenzie, my guess would be its a script he just wanted to get published so he could bump up his fees - maybe it was a rejected tale from elsewhere, but the art looks like it is all Mick Austin rather than being subbed in by someone else

M.I.K.

I think it's just yer general EC comics homage more than anything to do with Scream!

I mean, reference to a "crypt of horror" isn't the most subtle of nods.

SpaceSpinner2000

What's a better than an April Fools Day prank? Doing it in mid-May! Conrad and Fox have once more tangled with a time machine and lost! They find themselves once again at the start of their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 11-14 of 2000AD, covering May of 1977. This episode we once more walk the path of early thrill power, as Dredd's robot war intesifies, MACH 1 goes driving, the Heroes battle some Scotsmen, Bill Savage heads to Dartmoor, Flesh deals with SPIDER ATTACK, and the Mekon returns in Dan Dare!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

sheridan

Because I'm a time traveller I listened to it before it came out, on the way to work.*

Great stuff - might listen to it again and drone on at length about something or other - knew there were some comments I was thinking of while listening the first time.

* coz of Patreon.

SpaceSpinner2000

In our mega thirty-fourth episode  we take a break from our patrol through the world of the Judge Dredd Megazine to look at the 1994 Judge Dredd Yearbook. This episode we've got big stories for Judges Armitage, Dredd, and Hershey, and the return of artist Mike McMahon!

This episode Conrad is joined by Colin YNWA from the 2000AD Forums!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify

sheridan

Won't do it as a vote, but favourite two Carry On films isn't quite as straightforward as you might imagine.

First place has to go to Carry on Screaming, of course.  Second place, not so easy...

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling two hundred and eightieth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 8452-855 of 2000AD, covering September & October 1993. This episode the Autumn Attack is underway, as we conclude Inferno and begin exciting new installments of Tyranny Rex, Slaine, Robo-Hunter, Strontium Dogs and...Mean Arena?

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify

sheridan

This reboot of Mean Arena was completely wiped from my memory.  Sorry, memory banks - get with the program!  Shall have to see if hearing you two talk about it triggers any flashbacks.

SpaceSpinner2000

It's only around for a short time, and is fine!

sheridan

Listening to an old episode on the way in to work this morning - coincidentally the one which introduced the first Mean Arena.  You mentioned a gag in the Dash Decent strip which you didn't quite get - think it was "Save the bomb"* - you managed to get half the reference (Save the Whale, I think) but the other three word catchphrase popular among many of the same people at the time would have been Ban the Bomb (usually referring to USA air force bases on British soil, containing Cruise missiles and making the UK more of a target for Soviet agression then they would otherwise have been).

* it might have been "Ban the Whale"