Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

May be too late for this but....

SPinnies

We've gone from an embarassment of riches just a few years back to  just plain embarassment.  At least this appears to be the worst year, with the worst ever Dredd in War Games surely marking some kind of turning point, even if we cant see it yet.

Best art is a tussle between Chris Weston and Dermot Power - given Weston will go on to do better, and Power might disappear soon, I'm giving this to Power ( Though there is still "treatures of Britain" to come)

Best Writer is another two horse race - John Smith gave us Firekind, ruined by a printing screw up and an OK Tyranny Rex, but also a pretty poor Dredd in the Morrison/Millar style of the time.  Pat Mills wasnt firing on all cylinders, but Finn, Demon Killer and Flesh were at least "2000ADish", so this one goes to Pat

Demon Killer wins best story, though it isnt Slaines best time travel story. This would have been a disappointment any other year, but here I'm thankful for small mercies and great art.

Snowstorm gets the best Dredd, even though its a paper thin knock off of better Wagner/Grant stuff.  At least it has some lovely MacNeil art to distract from that.

Best year is 1984 - we are so far from the quality of that year you can barely recognise it as the same comic, which is probably why Mills feels so valuable on a relatively weak showing.

Bring on 1994!

Leigh S

The Meggies

Best art is Ian Gibson - While he will be around for a good while yet, this feels like a peak for Gibson we wont see again - glorious stuff

Best writer is Wagner - the prog is really hurting for lack of Wagner and despite there beng a lot of rum stuff on the Meg, having Wagner here keeps the whole enterprise classier than its component parts.

Best story is Taxidermist -  a clean sweep for Wagner and Gibson

Best year remains 1990 - while it isnt as bad a drop off in quality as over in the prog, the Megazine is also struggling a bit.  Someone needs to realise that there are too many pages to fil every week, and not enough competent artists and writers to fill those pages...

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling two hundred and eighty-fifth episode Fox and Conrad take a break from their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic by looking at the second Batman/Judge Dredd crossover, Vendetta In Gotham! We'll also take a look at a couple cool poster progs!

Also get ready for the Spinnies and Meggies tomorrow and Friday! There may still be time to get your nominations in!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling two hundred and eighty-sixth episode Fox and Conrad take a break from reviewing weekly progs to reminisce on the whole of 2000 AD comics for the year 1993. It's a chance to reflect, review, and give out awards! Welcome to the 1993 Spinnies! At the end of every chronological year in our prog timeline we give out awards to the storylines and thrills we liked best over the last year. Stay tuned until the end to hear what's coming up in 1994 from both 2000AD and our show!

Thanks everyone here for your nominations!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify

Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Colin YNWA

Oh my giddy Aunt I feel for Fox that tail of airport and then bathroom woe is horrible and i doubt for one minute I'd have handled it as well as he seems to have. Hope This wife was able to have a good break at least.

Also like his use of "Chocker" is that a phrase used in the US or has he picked it up here?

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling two hundred and nintey-first episode we continue our journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with the 1994 Sci-Fi Special of 2000AD. This Special has adventures from Dredd, Robo-Hunter, Rogue Trooper, and Brigand Doom, and some very hot-and-cold text pieces!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify

Leigh S

After the Famine, the Feast!

Loving these ones, and your spicy takes, though you've been cutting the Dredds a lot of slack recently!

Dinosty I assume is a play on Dynasty so doesnt have the extra "i"! (EDIT - just got to the point you correct yourself, but too late - Point scored!)

I quite liked it at the time, in the context of everything else that as in there and it being early "mask off" Mills where having no subtext was sometimes working for him...

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Leigh S on 12 October, 2022, 11:47:29 AM
Dinosty I assume is a play on Dynasty so doesnt have the extra "i"! (EDIT - just got to the point you correct yourself, but too late - Point scored!)

I KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN!  :D

And we should finally be smoothing into a more regular release cycle, assuming I stay on top of my editing jobs!

The Monarch

we are getting close to the second crossover

sheridan

Quote from: The Monarch on 17 October, 2022, 02:29:36 AM
we are getting close to the second crossover

Is that the Wilderlands one?

sheridan

And then there's a third crossover with the Second Robot Wars.

The Monarch

Colin YNWA

Wow super interested to see if the 'Babe Race 2000' love continues. In my recent(ish) re-read  found it one of the most bland actively awful and nasty strip the comic has known. As ever the different takes on strips is in part what makes Space Spinner 2000 so fascinating.

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling two hundred and ninety-second episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 884-887 of 2000AD, covering April & May 1994. This episode we'll flashback in Judge Dredd, finish up Robo-hunter, continue with The Clown, Luke Kirby, and Babe Race 2000, and start a new Bradley fairy tale!

Sorry it's been a while since our last episode, we should be back to regular updates going forward!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 23 October, 2022, 09:29:47 AM
Wow super interested to see if the 'Babe Race 2000' love continues. In my recent(ish) re-read  found it one of the most bland actively awful and nasty strip the comic has known. As ever the different takes on strips is in part what makes Space Spinner 2000 so fascinating.

Somehow it's really hit the sweet spot for us!

Leigh S

Hurrah! No need to apologise for the delay, Conrad - your lungs are more important than our ears!

Fox has clearly been broken by mid 90s progs and has become hysterical - the only reason for his gushing over BR2000!

That said, I do think you hit ona  good point - the 'ugliness' of the art works in its favour and gives it some cover - that's Williams "unsexy" style though, so I'm sort of thinking that might just be a further mistake by editorial, and the intention from Millar was to have it full on cheesecake - imagine if Greg Staples had done the art instead.