Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceSpinner2000

Hi everyone, thanks for the kind words, and I'm sure you'll all be EXTREMELY stoked that thanks to some IT wizardry the files have been recovered! WHEW! I'm super relieved, I must say.

So the plan is (2000AD forums EXCLUSIVE UPDATE): On Wednesday I'm going to put out a special New Listeners episode, just recapping the history of the comic up to this point, then on Thursday we'll roll out episode 76 and get started on 1982! We're also starting our new posting schedule, with Prog episodes on Mondays and non-prog stuff (Specials, Annuals, the Spinnies) every third Thursday. It should both let us keep moving at reasonable clip AND be sustainable in terms of podcast generation. Anyhow, that's enough under the hood stuff, get stoked for new content!

Quote from: Echidna on 02 January, 2018, 01:02:32 PM
Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 01 January, 2018, 07:40:07 PM
Note: We had planned to start new episodes, but have run into some technical difficulties, explained at the start of the show.

Oh no! I hope you can recover the files, I don't think I can take any more exciting news for all listeners. I've been listening since this thread started (thanks Steve) and I'm super excited for your 1981 coverage because that's where my back-prog collection starts, so I'll be reading along with you!

I should mention that we've already done '81, and the bombs are about flying as we begin '82!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Colin YNWA

And you came back to me.

And like the fool I am I took you back in with open arms...

... ahem...

... or in other words, really pleased you got the files back and bless whatever wizard wizzed the magic.

Dandontdare

Echidna

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 02 January, 2018, 04:00:02 PM
I should mention that we've already done '81, and the bombs are about flying as we begin '82!

I was so distressed by your announcement I was temporarily unable to tell years apart. Now in a state of maximum stokedness!

SpaceSpinner2000

Before we restart our thrilling adventure through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic, let's take a moment to get resituated with a New Listener Episode! This short episode features a brief history of 2000AD, and definitions of commonly used terms and concepts in the show. Check it out, you might learn something! Then stayed tuned for episode 76 and the return of Space Spinner 2000!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling seventy-sixth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 245-249  of 2000 AD, covering January of 1982. Join us as  Ace Garp loses his ship, Torquemada gets lost in space, Rogue Trooper goes high tech, the Slayers go to Reading, and the goddang Sov-Blocks strike!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher

Andy B

Great show!

Superman II might have placed higher if it had a kick-ass Queen soundtrack.

Flash Gordon is also a lot more like 2000AD...

"Open fire! All weapons!", etc

Steve Green

Good to have you back!

I properly laughed at your description of the biochips inside the computer.

Lobo Baggins

I used to work in Reading and I know it well enough to say that all those directions in Mean Arena are accurate (especially the one about the shortcut through Woolworth's to get from Broad Street to Friar Street) and the Maiwand Lion being referred to by its Local Name of 'The Forbury Lion' indicates that whoever 'A. Ridgway' is he's a Reading native - although admittedly almost all the landmarks mentioned are long gone (Butts Shopping Centre, Forbury Park Bandstand, King's Road Office Tower, Woolworth's...)
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 05 January, 2018, 04:01:35 PM
I used to work in Reading and I know it well enough to say that all those directions in Mean Arena are accurate (especially the one about the shortcut through Woolworth's to get from Broad Street to Friar Street) and the Maiwand Lion being referred to by its Local Name of 'The Forbury Lion' indicates that whoever 'A. Ridgway' is he's a Reading native - although admittedly almost all the landmarks mentioned are long gone (Butts Shopping Centre, Forbury Park Bandstand, King's Road Office Tower, Woolworth's...)

That is amazing! Who'd have thought there's be a love letter to Reading in the middle of a future sports comic?

Steve Green

Dandontdare

Surprised by just how much I missed you guys in your brief gap - I don't (and didn't)like Ace Trucking as much as you, and I rated Rogue Trooper slightly higher than you, but generally your comments are spot on. It's easy to overlook in hindsight that lots of sci-fi cliches were pretty groundbreaking at the time - the idea of existing as a person in (what had not yet been christened) cyberspace blew my tiny mind then - this was a few years before William Gibson, and you do point out that we really didn't have terms of reference back then.

Oh and remember when I thought you were talking really fast one week? Just discovered that my iPhone has an easily pressed button that plays podcasts at x1.5 speed! How embarrassing!

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Dandontdare on 05 January, 2018, 05:52:54 PM
Surprised by just how much I missed you guys in your brief gap - I don't (and didn't)like Ace Trucking as much as you, and I rated Rogue Trooper slightly higher than you, but generally your comments are spot on. It's easy to overlook in hindsight that lots of sci-fi cliches were pretty groundbreaking at the time - the idea of existing as a person in (what had not yet been christened) cyberspace blew my tiny mind then - this was a few years before William Gibson, and you do point out that we really didn't have terms of reference back then.

Yeah definitely, like I said on the show, for the the story was hurt a big by the lack of vocabulary for what they were doing. I think Fox and I are both drawn towards the funnier thrills (Fox especially) but once we get to the Buzzard and all the players are involved I think we'll turn around on Rogue Trooper. Honestly if I knock it it's mostly because I feel bad about ragging on Mean Arena all the time :D

Quote from: Dandontdare on 05 January, 2018, 05:52:54 PM
Oh and remember when I thought you were talking really fast one week? Just discovered that my iPhone has an easily pressed button that plays podcasts at x1.5 speed! How embarrassing!

Haha that's happened to me too! It can be hard to tell sometimes because a lot of players will also pitch down the audio when you make it go faster so that it doesn't get all chipmonk-like, so it's just weirdly fast.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling seventy-seventh episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 250-253 of 2000 AD, covering February of 1982. Join us as Ace Trucking heads out on the great Mush Rush, the games begin in Mean Arena, the invasion begins in Judge Dredd, Nemesis gets caught up with some spiders, and Rogue Trooper goes undercover!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher