Main Menu

The Killing vs. Incident on Mayger Minor - Bolt-01 Cup - Quarter Final 3

Started by Colin YNWA, 06 October, 2021, 06:26:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

No messing about anymore, we're straight at it now. No holds barred, no faffing around with tables and groups, or over complex piffle under the guise of qualifying play-offs. No, we're down to the simple purity of a one against one, single match - TO THE DEATH... well I didn't say we'd got rid of melodrama! Two go in, you vote, the one with the most votes gets a place in the semis, simple as that.

All you need to worry about which is your favourite between:

The Killing - more info

Vs

Incident on Mayger Minor - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite of these two stories at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Saturday 9th October and the winner gets a place in the semis.

... there's a spreadsheet to make following easier... if you fancy. If not, don't worry just VOTE!!!!

I've tried to explain the finals here.

What on Earth is ALL of this?

Why on Tharg's Earth head are we doing this?

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

Oh and my 'More info' links... well I don't say how much more and they get pretty wonky at times!

Rogue Judge

Two favorites...I feel bad voting for one because I feel like I'm betraying the other! I do love the workings of Johnny & Wulfs partnership in the Killing, and the classic western that is Incident.

However, western Stront themes remain my favorite so I'll have to go with Incident on Mayger Minor.

AlexF

Yeah, Incident for me, too. Killing is perhaps the most fun of all Stront, but the westernness just fits so well, and post-rage Johnny slides so neatly into the Shane role.

Barrington Boots

This is a tie I've been dreading as they're two of my absolute favourites. To echo the esteemed gentlemen above me, Johnny and Wulf are excellent in The Killing and it's the story I think is the most fun too with all the crazy killers and some lovely designs from Carlos: it's inherently daft, but such a great story. I love the epilogue as well, where the real villains of the piece get theirs.
However... I've banged on about Incident on Mayger Minor before and how I think it's the best, so it chinks in here with another vote from me.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Timothy

credo

Buttonman

Southstreeter

I was hoping both of these would get further. I'm going for The Killing by a whisker as it's a perfect example of prime era classic Stront. Mind you, MM is perhaps the best example of late era classic Stront.

Leigh S

Have to confess - much as I love Mayger Minor as a perfectly crafted tale, the idea that Stront works best as a Western, to the degree here that it loses all its Sci-Fi or Fantasy elements just does not sit well with me.  MM is great, but it could be a hundred different stories in a hundred different genres. 

The Killing is just a more interesting idea, executed at least as well. 

Rogue Judge

You bring up a good point Leigh. I agree that Strontium Dog is so good because of all its elements - I love the sci-fi (weaponry, time travel, mutants, space, and even trolls and Hitler!), I can appreciate some of it's supernatural themes (although not my favorite) and as stated I love the Western stuff. Its the combination of these that makes Strontium Dog my favorite thrill. However, the stories that lean heavier into Western themes (albeit with a strong dose of sci-fi) are my favorite.

Colin YNWA

Now we're in straight knockouts I've remembered I can't vote in case of a tie and the need for a casting vote, but if you've followed these votes you know where I stand... but damn this one is close and could still go either way, so get those last minute votes in as long as there for... nah just get um in and I'll count up in the morning.

Dark Jimbo

The Killing is definitely the most fun Stront tale ever, but it just doesn't have the heart and soul of Incident on Mayger Minor; a tale that reassured us that, yes, the strip absolutely could work going forward without Wulf. (Let's not talk about the fact that it was all downhill from here!)
@jamesfeistdraws

GoGilesGo

MM is wonderfully paced, full of heart and features a fabulous deus ex machina moment but The Killing is perfect Johnny and Wulf, perfect action & a perfect ending.

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Though I might keep this open until we get it right. Incident burst into this tourney turning my expections on their head, with the level of love for a story seeming to match my own, in a way that I didn't realise others did. And the same happened here, in this tie the best Strontium Dog story (well I've nailed my colours to the mast already) aside from one...maybe... blasted out the blocks. However after that the more visceral joy of Strontium Dog took a very firm hold and on the end there is little doubt that

The Killing

Got this one... and now I hate you!

Barrington Boots we fall together.