Main Menu

FFT - Semi Final 1 - Nikolai Dante vs Nemesis the Warlock

Started by Colin YNWA, 06 September, 2022, 06:28:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Funt Solo on 06 September, 2022, 04:10:21 PM
Ah - so Dante is leading by five votes.

Check no one has rhymed their way to a second vote... I'm taking names... I count these things at 6ish in the morning I can't be expected to work well at that time!

Barrington Boots

Bravo!
However if you get a second poety-themed vote from someone with the forum username of, say, Harrington Hoots, I fully expect you to let that pass, Colin.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

sheridan

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 06 September, 2022, 04:07:07 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 06 September, 2022, 03:36:53 PM
Quote from: Barrington Boots on 06 September, 2022, 12:40:16 PM
Oh, if we're doing this poetically:

Here Squaxx votes are cast
Is Nemesis the greatest thrill?
No: Dante, the victor

You made some spelling mistakes there...

Here Squaxx votes are cast
Is Nikolai the greatest thrill?
No, danke, the Warlock

WHOOOOOOWWWW there

Just 'cos you do it in rhyme
does mean you vote two time
seeing that in bold name
made me forget you'd done the same
earlier in this very thread
If I catch anyone else you'll be dead!

Eep!  To be fair (to myself) I voted for "Nemesis" the first time, and emboldened by rhyme highlighted "the Warlock" the second time - so I only put Nemesis the Warlock in bold once, just in two sections.

Yes, that's my excuse.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: sheridan on 06 September, 2022, 04:32:28 PM
Eep!  To be fair (to myself) I voted for "Nemesis" the first time, and emboldened by rhyme highlighted "the Warlock" the second time - so I only put Nemesis the Warlock in bold once, just in two sections.

If I wasn't a Dante booster that's so good I'd have let it pass and given you the two!

Richard

Mainly for the reasons given by Alex and Magnetica
I'm voting for The Warlock (also, Dante had Amerika)

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

sintec

Two epic battles. Dante vs Valdamir Makarov  or Nemesis vs Torquemada.

There's no doubting that Torquemada is the better villan, there are few greater, but as a hero I feel Dante has the edge over Nemesis. Nemesis gets muddled as he progresses he gets tied up in Millsverse continuity and goes out with more of a whimper than a bang. Dante has a weaker start and takes some detours over his arc but he sticks the landing. Overall I think I'm with Dante by a whisker.

Dash Decent

This thread also made me realise that Nemesis has something in common with Winnie the Pooh.

They both have the same middle name.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Dash Decent

#
Niko-lai, Niko-lai, Niko-lai more!
Niko-lai, Niko-lai, Niko-lai more!
Niko-lai, Niko-lai, Niko-lai MORE!
And Niko-lai's company!
#

Time to get the prescription for my medicine refilled...
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

IndigoPrime

nxylas

Nemesis, for the same reasons given by others. Whilst Dante was consistently good, and never reached the lows of Nemesis at its worst, it never reached the heights of Nemesis at its best, either. Surely even the most generous admirer would be hard pressed to say that nothing like Dante had ever appeared in comics before, as has often been said of Nemesis.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

to the best of my knowledge, nothing like dante has appeared in comics before, before or since in fact.
nemesis, for all its punk rock power, was a continuation of themes and characters and slogans and preoccupations that the millsverse had already been working with and shaping.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: nxylas on 07 September, 2022, 10:07:38 AM
Whilst Dante was consistently good, and never reached the lows of Nemesis at its worst, it never reached the heights of Nemesis at its best, either.

That's a nice way to put it. Nobody is going to argue that Dante wasn't the more consistent; in fact it may be the objectively 'better' thrill. Dante is less dated. Dante has remarkably few dull bits. Dante is the thrill I'm more likely to re-read tomorrow. Dante is the one I would give to a non-scrot to get them reading. Dante is the one I'd recommend, nine times out of ten. And yet...

...and yet. When Nemesis hits - when it's good, when Pat isn't pushing the latest agenda but just trying to tell the best story he can, when he and the artist (usually but not always O'Neill) are pushing each other to ever greater heights of lunacy and creativity - it sings. It's like pure bottled lightning. This is the strip, lest we forget, so incredibly blessed with ideas that it that created Warhammer 40,000 by accident. Credo!
@jamesfeistdraws

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

tolstoy, bulgakov and tarkovsky created dante by accident.