Main Menu

Ninja Turtles Movie

Started by Darren Stephens, 31 January, 2014, 11:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Stephens

I've always been a fan of the Turtles, so was kind of looking forward to this, despite Bays involvement. Must admit, though, this poster has taken away some of that hope. Anyone else looking forward to this / Think it's going to suck?  Personally, I'm still looking forward to it, though more out of curiosity now.  :D

Another image, which looks like an action figure to me...

:

https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

ThryllSeekyr

I like the the poster. It does eem cool, even though it will never be as good as the original.

Hawkmumbler

I couldn't give less of a fuck about this film. Michael Bay has already bored me to death with one terrible rehashing of a childhood franchise and I frankly can't be bothered to even bait him into this one. Also, who's stupid idea was it to cast 'actress' Megan Fox as April?

Darren Stephens

Yeh, Fox is a mistake, I feel. I wasn't ever into Transformers as a kid, so I don't really hate the movies as much as some, heh. This movie has more baggage for me, seeing as I've been a TMNT fan since the original black and white comics. I guess I'm just a little over optimistic, but time will tell.  ;)
                                       CLICK^^

JamesC

This is what the poster instantly reminded me of:

JamesC

One thing they can never get right is the bandanas. They don't actually look anything like a piece of material wrapped around the face but like some kind of moulded rubber thing.

Spaceghost

It reminds me of the scene in The Simpsons where the marketing woman encourages the artist to needlessly over-design Poochie.

"Can we rastafy him up by, say, 10 percent?"

It just looks more dated and 90's than the actual 90's film.

Crap
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

TordelBack

Tough room!  While I agree with JamesC about the bandanas, which look like something Enid from Ghostworld might wear for attention, I think the poster itself looks quite fun.  The character design does move ever further from what I felt was an essential part of the original comics, which is that the turtles were visually indistinguishable from each other, apart from their weapons.

Megan Fox though?  Seriously?

radiator

Well I think they look great. The bells and whistles have obviously been added to help distinguish each turtle visually which makes perfect sense to me from a character design point of view, especially in a live-action film.

If anyone tries to claim the 90s Jim Henson rubber suits somehow look better, I'd suggest they go back and watch the film, because while they have a certain amount of charm, they look incredibly ropey these days, especially the facial animation, and also have the drawback of being prosthetic suits, so that each turtle looks about seven feet tall standing next to the actors.

It always me laugh when people get so bent out of shape about Transformers and the like, as if the original cartoon was a literary work rather than a cynical toy advert. And while the Turtles have a bit more credibility thanks to their indie comic roots, as a concept it's deliberately goofy - a Frank Miller parody no less, and hardly sacrosanct. I'd venture to say that the majority of interpretations of it are shite. I remember when the script leaked and it was revealed that in this version the turtles were aliens and all the fanboys lost their shit. What, because that's somehow less silly than them being ordinary turtles mutated by nuclear waste? If you ask me it makes sense to streamline their origin story and make it less contrived.

As for the film, it'll probably be a bit poo, but Bay's not actually directing is he? Just producing iirc.

Darren Stephens

Quote from: TordelBack on 01 February, 2014, 10:58:25 AM
Tough room!

Haha, yeh! I guess that explains the absence of an existing thread for the movie.  :lol: I do agree, though, it does look dated. Reminds me, not of the ghoulies, but of that terrible TV show about the family of dinosaurs....I forget what it was called, but it was probably just called dinosaurs knowing my luck.
                                       CLICK^^

Hawkmumbler

Dinosaurs? Yeah, it was called Dinosaurs. :lol:
And yes, it was shite.

Third Estate Ned

Michelangelo looks more feminine and less like a party dude than I would have expected.

Darren Stephens

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 01 February, 2014, 11:47:32 AM
Dinosaurs? Yeah, it was called Dinosaurs. :lol:
And yes, it was shite.

That it was, Sir, that it was.  :D
                                       CLICK^^

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 01 February, 2014, 11:25:03 AMI remember when the script leaked and it was revealed that in this version the turtles were aliens and all the fanboys lost their shit.
What, because that's somehow less silly than them being ordinary turtles mutated by nuclear waste? If you ask me it makes sense to streamline their origin story and make it less contrived.

Their case not helped by the fact the 'Retromutagen Ooze' was alien in origin anyway.

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 01 February, 2014, 08:44:37 AM
Also, who's stupid idea was it to cast 'actress' Megan Fox as April?

Megan Fox is perfectly fine as April.

The film seemingly has other problems, but imo Megan Fox is not one of them. Please feel free to convince me why her casting is so awful, though.