Main Menu

Prog 1892 : BLOCK PARTY!

Started by Darren Stephens, 26 July, 2014, 01:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Stephens

Cover : Nice, simple Dredd cover from Colin Mcneil, featuring the return of two of my fave supporting characters......tewwific!

Dredd: Top opening episode, featuring the return of the two characters from the cover.....plussssss one other! I'll say no more....

Sin/Dex : I've enjoyed this outing for the famous gunslingers. Certainly more than some of you other folks, by the sound of it. Jake Lynch has really impressed for the duration of the story. Love to see more from him. Perhaps a Dredd? He draws a cracking Dredd!

Aquila: Love this. Both story and art are outstanding and, 'd say one of the best strips of recent years.

Brass Sun: Story wise, my least favourite of the week. The art has improved since last week, but I am really struggling to care about the characters. Not bad. But not fantastic, either.

Black Shuck: Love a bit of sword and sorcery. After last weeks cracking opening episode, things don't slow down this week, either. Yoewell and Blyth make a great team on art, while Moore and Reppion provide an intriguing script.

A nicely rounded prog, this week. Something for everyone!
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Dandontdare

Nice to see that they did indeed reinstate the old Dredd logo and dedicate the episode to Jan Shepheard. Been looking forward to the return of Walter & Mrs G and this didn't disappoint.

Brass Sun takes a big leap plotwise, which is nice, but Sinister Dexter is largely recap that takes us no further forward.

Aquila powers on majestically and Black Shuck is enjoyable enough so far.

and I always love me a bit of Droid life, even if it's not a classic

Dandontdare

Oh and my postie seems to have changed their round in recent weeks so I now get my prog about 9am - result!

Mattofthespurs

Loved the cover.
Very retro/eighties I felt.

Richard

Who is Jan Shepheard? I assumed it was just a personal friend of John Wagner, I didn't realise he was someone we were supposed to know.

Love the return of the old Dredd logo. It should come back permananently.

I enjoyed this week's Brass Sun much more that the previous episodes of the current series. I had until now liked the fact that the weird world(s) they live on had no explanation for their existence, and I didn't need a backstory... but now that we DO know the backstory, I think it is a welcome development. I thas made me more interested in a series which I had felt was flagging a bit.

Bolt-01

Richard, Jan was the original art Editor back when Tharg was putting 2000 AD together. The original Dredd logo- that's one of hers. A real talent and a loss to the comics world.

Frank

Quote from: Richard on 26 July, 2014, 02:47:32 PM
Who is Jan Shepheard? I assumed it was just a personal friend of John Wagner, I didn't realise he was someone we were supposed to know. Love the return of the old Dredd logo. It should come back permananently

The late Jan Shepherd was 2000ad's first art editor, and designed the original Judge Dredd logo and many, many others:

http://downthetubes.net/?p=16015

Great to hear Rebellion have chosen to honour her contribution to 2000ad and UK comics in this way.

Richard

Cpt Rhodes

A round cover panel. Miss Whittle will be pleased :)

Eamonn Clarke

Mark Twain and Kurt Vonnegut in Brass Sun. Who is the other guy?

ZenArcade

Really pleased to hear about the Jan Shepherd Dredd logo tribute, wish they'd keep it. I am totally intrigued by the references to Brass Sun. Please can someone throw up the cover....pretty please? Z :D
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Frank

Cheers, Eammon. The original chunky Dredd logo looks fantastic, and the use of black is appropriate in so many ways, but the colours on that cover are hurting my eyes. Is the returning character alluded to above Alan Craddock?

ZenArcade

Top man for that cover and logo Eammon. The cover looks like a McMahon early 80's gem; the logo back is wonderful. Loving it Z :thumbsup:
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead