Main Menu

Affordable but still good graphics tablet?

Started by Funt Solo, 12 April, 2011, 06:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Hello!

I'm looking to buy a graphics tablet, but am completely ignorant on the subject (like it might not even be called a graphics tablet - that level of ignorant). It's for high school students to use in the creation of computer art work - can any of you talented artist types give a recommendation?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Buttonman

No idea but nice to see you back Funt - bothering the letters page again soon I guess?

Funt Solo

Ah - I expect not, Button - my overseas sub expired at the same time as my then employment, and so I stopped buying 2000AD for the first time since about prog 170 or so.  I was going to get the online version but ... haven't.  Spared you the details, there.

Erm ... is Dredd still in the Cursed Earth?  (Don't answer that - I might still go on an online back prog splurge.) 
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

radiator

There's an existing thread about this if you want to use the forum search bar - I think the consensus was: Wacom Bamboo.

My opinion is whatever you do, stick to a Wacom tablet and don't buy any other brand. Wacom are the market leaders by a country mile and I'd rather have a second hand Wacom than a brand new non-Wacom tablet.

Don't worry about size - for most purposes an a5 will do you fine.

Dredd is [spoiler]no longer in the Cursed Earth[/spoiler], but is now on the [spoiler]Council of Five[/spoiler]. I just put that in to torment you - can you resist looking under the spoiler tabs?  ;)

CrazyFoxMachine

Aye, I just bought a Bamboo. Can't wait to get it :D

Professor Bear

I currently use a Wacom but only ever use the touch strips to zoom in and out - the rest of the buttons I don't bother with as hotkeys are just as handy, so I would argue that for going in cold to the world of such things, you can't go wrong with almost any kind of tablet as long as it has working pressure-sensitivity - after that, it's all down to how much the user comprehends how digital art is created and what they can do with art apps, as the tablet itself is just the interface and the main bulk of work will be in learning how to use Photoshop (for example).

Thus it's worth considering the cheapest options - my first tablet was a Trust jobby that cost 21 quid from Tesco.  Looks a bit low-tech to me these days, but it got the job done.

Funt Solo

Thanks, guys.  I asked for a Wacom Bamboo Fun, and if the boss says no, then I'll ask for a cheaper one.

I have an Interwrite pad, but the sensitivity's pretty sucky, and I want one for the students to use.

(Resisted the urge to look under your spoiler blanks, Rad ... is he on Mars? Stookie? Holiday? Don't tell me.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Bolt-01