Main Menu

Boxes?

Started by Famous Mortimer, 17 February, 2015, 08:53:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

I took a load of storage boxes from work to store my growing collection in, but they're not tall enough, so the comics have to lay flat. I assume this isn't ideal, so I wonder if anyone could recommend a good make of box which would be the right size?

moldovangerbil

I've found these to be very good:

http://www.page45.com/store/Magazine-Storage-Box.html#SID=47

They hold approx 200 progs and are suitable for any of the many sizes the prog has had over the years.  I also like them because they say "2000AD" on the front!

ZenArcade

There you go FM. The hivemind at work. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Famous Mortimer

Splendid! And Page 45 is fairly close, so I might go for a trip in a week or two and stock up. If this website had some karma system, you'd be getting some right now.

TordelBack

Page 45 continues to have the best attitude of any known shop - I just love that description of shipping costs.

Mattofthespurs

I use these. With bags and boards they hold around 150 issues each.

Suffice to say I have lots of the buggers.

Fungus

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 17 February, 2015, 02:53:21 PM
I use these. With bags and boards they hold around 150 issues each.

Suffice to say I have lots of the buggers.

Me too. As you say, 150 progs, not the fantasy numbers as advertised. Please budget accordingly!

Of course, as prog sizes vary the qty per box vary... Quite a bit.

I, Cosh

If you don't bother with bags and boards you can comfortably fit 200. 250 if you're determined.
We never really die.

moldovangerbil

200 easy with just bags. I don't really get boards as if you pack enough in together they become self supporting.

Digressing slightly, I also like those boxes as there's a nice space under '2000AD' for you to hypothetically stick a label listing the progs in the box that you could hypothetically print having hypothetically downloaded an old school JD font set. Hypothetically, of course. I'd never waste hours and hours doing that....

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: moldovangerbil on 17 February, 2015, 05:12:08 PM
200 easy with just bags. I don't really get boards as if you pack enough in together they become self supporting.

But taking them out and putting them back in is a different story without the boards I find. Also, over the years, gravity, I found, does it's work and they start to curl at the bottom.

Magnetica

So just out of interest what problems have Squaxx encountered by laying their Progs flat?

I have mine in stacks of just under 2 feet and always have done - going back 35 years - and have n't noticed any curling up.

I, Cosh

Quote from: moldovangerbil on 17 February, 2015, 05:12:08 PM

Digressing slightly, I also like those boxes as there's a nice space under '2000AD' for you to hypothetically stick a label listing the progs in the box that you could hypothetically print having hypothetically downloaded an old school JD font set. Hypothetically, of course. I'd never waste hours and hours doing that....
I find it's much easier to list the contents of boxes on a single piece of paper and then move the boxes around to get certain Progs out before putting them back in a different order. Then I lose the bit of paper.
We never really die.

Famous Mortimer

My best guess about laying them flat is the ink from the one above might get pressed onto the one below, or the least bit of moisture and they stick together.

I don't know, really. I feel a bit silly buying protective bags for comics that cost me on average about 20p each, but I probably ought to.

ZenArcade

Buy them incrementally at say a hundred a time and bag them over a series of months. You aren't going to pay any more than £7-9 per 100 bags. The boarding is in my view optional as boards are a wee bit more expensive; but again done incrementally say 100 progs per month boarding and bagging should just be around the £20 mark and you have them permenantly protected.
In terms of prog recognition on shelves or in boxes, I personally print out sheets of self adhesive letter labels with the number printed on (any photocopier can do this), I then affix the label to the top left hand side of the prog and you can flick through your progs with ease in order to locate the particular one. Z

ZenArcade

Nb the top left hand side of the bag; not the prog itself. Z ::)