Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 22 August, 2014, 01:41:07 PM
According to this link, people with guns in the USA are far more likely to shoot themselves than anyone else: www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/05/24/suicides-account-for-most-gun-deaths/

Not all bad news, then.

Frank

From what I can gather from tonight's debate, an independent Scotland would involve two elderly men interrupting each other and talking loudly while their red faced opponent is stuttering his way to the end of an incoherent sentence.

Fungus

Quote from: sauchie post office on 25 August, 2014, 10:04:43 PM

From what I can gather from tonight's debate, an independent Scotland would involve two elderly men interrupting each other and talking loudly while their red faced opponent is stuttering his way to the end of an incoherent sentence.

Oh, and one points a lot, while the other doesn't like that.

Got sucked into work after the first 30 mins, will now watch the rest. What I had enjoyed was Salmond going walkabout, presumably because - as Father Dougal may be able to tell you - near things are bigger. And possess more clout. The second time he did this it was also clear that this obscures Darling when viewed from the side-camera :) Out of sight, out of mind. Darling did shift to his right and got back into camera shot.

I'm not being shallow by focussing on the choreography; all the points had been made at the last debate. As they will again.

ZenArcade

I think Darling shifted to the right a long time ago fungus. Z  ;)
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Frank

Quote from: ZenArcade on 26 August, 2014, 01:04:33 AM
I think Darling shifted to the right a long time ago fungus. Z 

Bdum-tsh!

Fungus

Quote from: ZenArcade on 26 August, 2014, 01:04:33 AM
I think Darling shifted to the right a long time ago fungus. Z  ;)

Woof!  :P

So I went back to the programme and Salmond was literally laughing that "these are the same points you made in the last debate!". I switched off. Can we bring the vote forward?

The Legendary Shark

The most important question, in my view, that you Scots should be asking is - will you start creating and backing your own currency interest free or will you be forced to borrow privately created, interest bearing currency? If the answer is the latter then I wouldn't even bother voting because nothing can change for the better. 
Follow the money!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Fungus

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 26 August, 2014, 12:15:01 PM
I wouldn't even bother voting because nothing can change for the better. 

Vote 'No' ?

ZenArcade

Ah you should plough your own furrow. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

The Legendary Shark

Vote "None of the Above".
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Modern Panther

I find myself coming to this small, peaceful corner of the interweb for moment of quiet reflection.  This morning, i have read comments from concerned No voters and our friends and family south of the border. I've read that Salmon is a bully, because he spoke over a man who was doing the same. I've read that the snp are racists, that nationalists are Nazis. I've read the Scotland is populated by ill mannered savages. I've read calls for a boycott on Scottish goods, that scots should be prevented from holding offices of state, that Scotland should be stripped of its political powers.  I've read that if Scotland does vote Yes; the rest of the UK should do it's best to ruin Scotland financially.
I've read all of these things written by ordinary voters who don't want us to leave them.

Cameron's lovebomb is over. UK is taking its ball and going home.

TordelBack

I was stuck standing on a wet street on a boring, boring overnight shift last night, and followed the... proceedings... on Twitter to keep myself awake.   I have no time for nation states, and with a eye cocked in TLS' direction wonder if the whole thing is just rearranging the proverbial deckchairs, but after reading umpteen zillion tweets on the subject, I formed a pretty clear picture of an abusive co-dependency: Scotland, you need to pack a bag and get the hell out of there.

The Legendary Shark

If you do leave the UK, can we come with you? Pretty please with a thistle on top?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Fungus

Quote from: TordelBack on 26 August, 2014, 01:20:21 PM
after reading umpteen zillion tweets on the subject, I formed a pretty clear picture of an abusive co-dependency

I hope the shoutiness and apparent anger across the internet daily - Twitter especially - is not representative of real life and real people...