Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Steve Green on 24 June, 2016, 07:32:50 PM
Quote from: Grugz on 24 June, 2016, 07:25:50 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 24 June, 2016, 07:20:38 PM
And I can't see anyone clamouring for a referendum on the unelected members of the House of Lords.

i'd go for that! do they get paid for sitting round decomposing?

£300 expenses - last time I looked some just clocked in to get that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25411182
Thats just under my entire months wages. Diabolical!

Tjm86

Quote from: Tordelback on 24 June, 2016, 07:35:51 PM
As always when watching Britain beat itself up, I wonder if ye appreciate all your actual largely untainted successes which are so obvious from outside.  .....  That's the stuff you should take pride in, because a lot of it is bloody rare in the rest of the world.

Dunkirk was a class act too.

That I'll go with.

I have to be honest I've felt a bit bemused all day with the result.  Personally I think it was a mistake and, as has been mentioned, one that has been foisted on us by petulant tories.  That said.  It is the decision that has been made and now we need to make the best go of it.  As you say Grugz, the Europeans are now running scared of contagion and are going to do what they can to minimise the impact.  How we go about that remains to be seen.

The one thing that I do hope comes out of this is that politicians take a long hard look at how disconnected they are from the electorate and start addressing it.  Corbyn's selection as leader of Labour should have been a wake up call but I guess it appeared isolated as it only related to one party.  This is a bit of a larger shout out.  However much we agree or disagree, it needs to be acknowledged that too many people in this country now feel disenfranchised.  We may have the vote but we don't have politicians respect for it.  Too many safe seats.  Brown's 'horrible woman' gaffe was probably a poor articulation of what far too many MP's actually think of their constituents.

Grugz

and we know how to do a royal wedding!
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

pauljholden

Despite many early mumbles of Northern Ireland wanting to join the Irish republic, I think it's far more likely that most of us here who would've preferred to remain in will simply pick up an Irish Passport and continue to enjoy some of the advantages of being European citizens.

The rest of you are all fucked though.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: pauljholden on 24 June, 2016, 07:51:59 PM
Despite many early mumbles of Northern Ireland wanting to join the Irish republic, I think it's far more likely that most of us here who would've preferred to remain in will simply pick up an Irish Passport and continue to enjoy some of the advantages of being European citizens.

The rest of you are all fucked though.

That's what we're worried about!
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Grugz

don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Steve Green

I'm sure it will be as successful as the one proposing to ban Trump.

pauljholden

Quote from: Grugz on 24 June, 2016, 08:54:38 PM
http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/24/parliament-to-consider-debate-for-second-eu-referendum-as-100000-back-petition-5964769/

democracy at work .

best of three?

don't think it matters. The damage has been done. Companies have made and are beginning to activate contingency plans (if they have any sense) and the sense of this place no longer being the country you think it is is already in place.

-pj

Hawkmumbler

I'm so uncertain what the future holds for me. I have no job, no home, my savings as meager as they where are now worth even less. I'm just so uncertain.

Steve Green

TordelBack

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 24 June, 2016, 09:49:19 PM
I'm so uncertain what the future holds for me. I have no job, no home, my savings as meager as they where are now worth even less. I'm just so uncertain.

C'est la vie, mon brave. Everything else is death and taxes.

Dandontdare

Here's what grinds my gears: Both the brexiters in the UK and the Trump supporters in the US don't care about the lack of a cogent philosophy, or any actual policies, they're happy to ignore proven lies and contradictions, all under one consistent, all encompassing  mantra:  "we need a change".

These are two of the richest most influential countries in the world with the highest standards of living - just why are we so desperate for change?

Trout

I'm regretting leaving you idiots unsupervised. I left the UK three years ago and already you've broken it completely.

I should have told Germany to babysit.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Trout on 25 June, 2016, 01:15:38 AM
I'm regretting leaving you idiots unsupervised. I left the UK three years ago and already you've broken it completely.

Can you tell me in detail how you did that and how I convince my wife? Does Canada have a desperate shortage of librarains? I can find them two very good ones who need a change!

At least we know what to buy Scotland and Northern Ireland for their next birthday. An 'I'm with stupid' tee-shirt.

Tjm86

Quote from: Dandontdare on 24 June, 2016, 10:48:21 PM

These are two of the richest most influential countries in the world with the highest standards of living - just why are we so desperate for change?

Possibly because the gap between the richest and the poorest is growing with the middle being hollowed out.  Cameron bleated on about 'enemies of aspiration' without stopping to consider the effect that his policies were having on opportunities.  The growth in employment and the growth in people in self employment have run hand in hand and there is evidence that a lot of those 'companies' are barely making enough for their 'owners' to call a living wage. 

I'm still convinced that this is all part of the after shocks of 2008 and that when the History books are written it will all be described as one continuous crisis (kind of like the total war theory of 1914 - 1945) with a series of mini crises along the way.  I do agree though, we lack any political leadership with any credible vision.  They've spent so long slagging each other off they no longer know how to lead.

I think we are slightly along the way from 11 on the scale of 1 to screwed (unless a power of ten was missing).