Main Menu

Thought Police: Are we allowed to query 'woke'?

Started by Tjm86, 24 September, 2020, 08:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

I don't think it diminishes his back catalogue, and there's a poetic irony in a man who once lampooned establishment figures becoming a lampoonable establishment figure. He could just stop saying silly things, if he wanted to - we'd all start remembering the nice things about him almost immediately.

There are a lot of comedians who seem worried that an (entirely imaginary) cancel culture will stop them from telling jokes - but I don't see much evidence of it.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

IndigoPrime

It says a lot when a comedian gets all grumpy about not being able to continue with racist and sexist jokes while retaining the same level of popularity.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Is John Cleese quite active on twitter? I bet he is.
You may quote me on that.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Mister Pops on 16 December, 2021, 06:58:43 PM
Is John Cleese quite active on twitter? I bet he is.

He is. (The article published by the Beeb was in response to him firing a broadside via Twatter.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

judgeurko

Cleese, another silly old man who can't accept that he isn't relevant anymore. Does he have another ex-wife to pay off?

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Tjm86

Is it just me or does this look like a very apt image to describe post-Brexit Britain's struggle for international relevance?  8-/

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Tjm86 on 16 February, 2022, 09:01:10 AM
Is it just me or does this look like a very apt image to describe post-Brexit Britain's struggle for international relevance?  8-/

Imagine the big guy has a touch of appendicitis.  There isn't a chance of the big guy even budging when the little guy pushes him, but it does really hurt that appendix.  That appendix?  That's my country, that is.  </half-pissed tortured analogy>
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Tjm86

Aside from the conflict in Ukraine, one other issue that seems to rumble on in certain parts of the 'media-sphere' is the issue of trans-athletes.  The coverage of the American swimmer seems to be pretty incessant and now a cyclist has been added to the ranks of media targets.

One thought does occur with all the brouhaha, the media seems obsessed with those who have transitioned to female.  Yet there seems to be little coverage of those who transition to male, either in sport or elsewhere.  I wonder why ...

sintec

Quote from: Tjm86 on 04 April, 2022, 06:46:21 AM
Aside from the conflict in Ukraine, one other issue that seems to rumble on in certain parts of the 'media-sphere' is the issue of trans-athletes.  The coverage of the American swimmer seems to be pretty incessant and now a cyclist has been added to the ranks of media targets.

One thought does occur with all the brouhaha, the media seems obsessed with those who have transitioned to female.  Yet there seems to be little coverage of those who transition to male, either in sport or elsewhere.  I wonder why ...

If you go back upthread a few pages you'll find a BBC article on just that topic. Warning; it's a grim read

Tjm86

Is that the one about the study into alleged issues some lesbians have with those who have transitioned to female?  You're right, it was a grim and somewhat bizarre one and pretty effectively discredited.

However I'm still curious as to the opposite direction of travel .... female to male ...

sintec

Oh yeah it was. I got mixed up thought it was female to male.