Main Menu

Forum's Favourite Thrill - Glimmer Rats vs Big Dave - Round 1 Heat 6

Started by Colin YNWA, 27 October, 2021, 07:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogue69

Colin YNWA

Just today to get your votes in as in theory this one will be counted up and the result announced in the morning. We'll see how wi-fi is in  our holiday cottage type thing!

AlexF

Glimmer Rats pls. For anyone who hasn't read it / reread it recently, I strongly recommend the digital edition - it suits Mark Harrison's art and this specific story real well. Although he wasn't as good then as he is now.
I confess I've always wanted to enjoy Big Dave, because people who do really find it funny, but I just can't break through the satire barrier. I think I get the joke, which is that this is what superheroes would be like if everything the Sun said (in the 90s) was true, and their moral values were correct. But then it seems to get caught up in that world and ends up just actually doing some serious gay bashing.

sheridan

Glimmer Rats - something I would gladly see return versus something I'd gladly see expunged from the annals* of 2000AD history.

* no sniggering at the back

sheridan

Quote from: AlexF on 29 October, 2021, 08:03:50 AM
Glimmer Rats pls. For anyone who hasn't read it / reread it recently, I strongly recommend the digital edition - it suits Mark Harrison's art and this specific story real well. Although he wasn't as good then as he is now.
I confess I've always wanted to enjoy Big Dave, because people who do really find it funny, but I just can't break through the satire barrier. I think I get the joke, which is that this is what superheroes would be like if everything the Sun said (in the 90s) was true, and their moral values were correct. But then it seems to get caught up in that world and ends up just actually doing some serious gay bashing.

I could see that joke stretching to a mildly entertaining three-page Future-Shock.  Unfortunately that's not what we got.

BPP

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Probably no surprise on this one. Another clear victory but still votes for both thrills. It doesn't matter how divisive a thrill is someone will love it... or dislike the other so much they prefer it at least! That's whats going to make this tourney so fascinating as it develops. Here though no surprise as

Glimmer Rats

Grim and grittys its way into Round 2.

I'd have been torn here to be honest as I have significent issues with Glimmer Rats and Big Dave, while out of place in the Prog was an interesting experiment and when the satire worked it was good AND Steve Parkhouse art... so I think I'd have gone for it rather than the eventual winner.

IndigoPrime

Thank Tharg for that. Big Dave might have been an interesting experiment in theory, but satire is only satire when it doesn't become the thing it's attempting to lampoon. Punching down has never been the 2000 AD way, but Morrison/Millar flipped that on its head across multiple strips for a time.

judgeurko

Rara Avis

I hated Big Dave at the time but have since re-read it and my god but it is absolutely hilarious.

Funt Solo

I was thinking about why Viz (hardly what you'd call politically correct) gets away with it but things like Big Dave, nuRobo-Hunter and Babe Race 2000 (which feel like riffs on Biffa Bacon, bits of Fat Slags and Milli Tant, respectively) just don't feel as welcome.

Perhaps it comes down to lived experience. The creators of Viz have said that they were just drawing what they saw in real life. If you're from a violent home experience or see people that are, then Biffa getting slapped around by his parents is just a reflection of real life.

Millar drowning Postman Pat in shit and having Mr. Ben blown away by Judge Dredd just feels like a privileged young man setting fire to his toys. He's like Sid from Toy Story. Hard to like.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

I liked Big Dave - it was irreverent and funny and got some of my non-sci-fi-loving friends into the prog.  (The Mr Ben Dredd was shit of course.)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

judgeurko

Glimmer Rats. Not great but so much better than the disgusting awful Big Dave. This story should be wiped from the memory banks.

sheridan

Quote from: Funt Solo on 31 October, 2021, 08:28:50 PM
Millar drowning Postman Pat in shit and having Mr. Ben blown away by Judge Dredd just feels like a privileged young man setting fire to his toys. He's like Sid from Toy Story. Hard to like.

Unlike Millar, Sid reformed!