Main Menu

Prog 2274 - Beneath the Remains

Started by Colin YNWA, 21 March, 2022, 09:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Corinthian

My dissatisfaction with The Citadel is more about the storytelling than the characterisation of Dredd. That itself shouldn't be a problem given that we know that this is being told by a partial (if not necessarily unreliable) narrator and that Dredd, while being a bit more harshly bastardly than usual, is reacting to incredibly trying circumstances.

What he actually reminds me of is Joe Darkie or Kano in their earliest appearances before the reader comes to understand what drives them and reveals that they are more complex if not necessarily better people than we'd initially assumed. But that's not really possible with Dredd, when a) we've been following him for 45 years, b) this is a flashback so can't reveal anything about his present character and c) the story itself is about halfway over already.

We're being teased with something terrible about Dredd but in a context that we knows end with him killing hundreds of millions of innocent people. It's very difficult to see what this untold story could reveal that would top that without seeming gimmicky or impermanent. And the pacing again is an issue. A lot has happened in the first 30 pages but not much that seems to have consequence (though I'm prepared to be wrong about that). Given that this supposed to be a condemned man's confession it's all very leisurely. I expect the second half to escalate things considerably but it's hard not to feel that we're reading a story not being told by a man who's spent 40 years in solitary confinement but by a comics writer who knows how to build up the suspense nicely in a way that makes sense as pure storytelling but feels contrived as an actual read.

On an unrelated note, I hope the little Cith with the tray who gets flicked away by one of the jailers [spoiler]survived Midnight's rampage[/spoiler] in Proteus Vex.

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: Timothy on 23 March, 2022, 08:08:36 AM
Again with the iPad file issues!
The 2000AD droids advised me to delete and reinstall the iPad app and that seems to have worked so far.
It's still not very fast, but it works

broodblik

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 25 March, 2022, 08:31:35 PM
Quote from: Timothy on 23 March, 2022, 08:08:36 AM
Again with the iPad file issues!
The 2000AD droids advised me to delete and reinstall the iPad app and that seems to have worked so far.
It's still not very fast, but it works

Did it as well and it worked.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 25 March, 2022, 08:31:35 PMThe 2000AD droids advised me to delete and reinstall the iPad app
My advice would be to delete the iPad app and add Progs downloaded from your Rebellion account to Chunky instead. It's a superb reader, and if you pay three quid it'll unlock access to local network drives (and support the sole indie dev who makes the thing).