Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

I am still not enjoying watching IT'S ALWAYS SUNNY IN PHILADELPHIA but Tiny Tips watches it so I see the odd episode.

But...

"That is such a turn-off. I'm losing my cock ring here" had me laughing very long and hard.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

HdE

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 19 May, 2015, 10:39:08 AM
Enjoyed Arise, and agree the second episode was way better than the first. Still to see 3&4 because although they're on Netflix I'm holding off for the blu-ray and can't find anything about a release.

Missed this before.

As a general rule of thumb, we get dubbed anime after everybody else. Arise is being handled by Funimation in the States, and the 3rd and 4th OVA haven't even surfaced over there yet.

News has broken of Arise being aired on TV in Japan, so I expect we'll see home video releases of the next two episodes around then. Japan are also getting a 5th OVA, which hasn't been confirmed as yet for Western distribution. There's also going to be a movie, which seems to further the delusion that this version of GITS is anywhere near as good as Stand Alone Complex. :p

As critical as I am of this stab at the franchise, I'd really like to be able to get my hands on the rest of Arise without paying for a ridiculously priced Japanese BD.

Also, about that second episode - did anyone else take a while to twig what was going on with Motoko's bike when she has her freeway encounter with Batou?
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Tiplodocus

Fell into a re watch of Band of Brothers.
Crossroads. Bastogne and Breaking Point.

That's some quality television right there with some genius visual storytelling.

Tiplodocus

And skipped back to Day of Days episode today seeing as it was D-Day. Great stuff. I would not do any of what they did. You would really have to go me in an Independence Day situation before I lifted  a gun.

Hawkmumbler

Currently hurteling towards the finale of GoT season 4. Bloody hell, wasn't expecting [spoiler]Oberyn[/spoiler] to snuff it, and in quite such an awful manner.

Goaty

NBC Cancels "Hannibal" After Three Seasons

Dandontdare

Spent this weekend getting through most of the first season of VEEP. Not quite as hilarious as I'd come to hope but still very good. The characters are a bit US-comedy-staples, but there are always a couple of great gags per episode - my favourite was the list of nicknames that her staffers have to google to find out what the bloggers are saying about her.

radiator

We just polished off season 3 of Orange is the New Black on Netflix.

It's such a fantastic show with one of - if not the - best ensemble cast on TV - all the more amazing considering how many of them were complete unknowns when the show began. The last (feature-length) episode was pure joy.

If I had to nitpick, I'd say the ostensible lead characters (Piper and Alex) are now kind of redundant and uninteresting, and that the writers are also in danger of smoothing off all of the nastier characters rough edges and making former 'bad guys' a bit too cuddly.

Another potential issue is that they've now examined pretty much every single tertiary character in detail - something that the finale seems to acknowledge, hinting that they're set to introduce a huge new influx of characters for season 4.

I'm also not a huge fan of the more far-fetched/soapier elements of the show - the ongoing baby drama etc. For me the real strength of the show has always been in its self-contained character studies (with attending flashbacks) that shed light on side characters and show us how they ended up in Litchfield.

I always assumed that this would be a show that would struggle to maintain momentum after its fantastic first season, and I'm delighted to be proven wrong.

Big Boo FTW.

Tiplodocus

Finished my Band Of Brothers re watch. Choked up during Why We Fight and Points.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 13 July, 2015, 06:59:59 PM
Finished my Band Of Brothers re watch. Choked up during Why We Fight and Points.

Why We Fight is possibly the greatest single episode of any television show ever.

W. R. Logan

I can stay stiff upper lipped through all of BoB but Major Winters final quote gets me every time.
http://youtu.be/iWkRPs0smnE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richmond Clements

Quote from: W. R. Logan on 13 July, 2015, 09:08:33 PM
I can stay stiff upper lipped through all of BoB but Major Winters final quote gets me every time.
http://youtu.be/iWkRPs0smnE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not clicking on that. I'll just start crying in the pub.

Richmond Clements

Being off work long term sick has pros and cons. Pros - I have been watching a lot of online tv... Firefly rewatch was as beautiful as ever.
Under the Dome... my self hate kept me going. It is objectively BAD television. Characters constantly act in inconsistent ways, never telling each other the crazy things they saw... then I read it is written by the Lost team... Horrible show. You can see Dean Norris screaming 'I WAS IN BREAKING BAD!' from behind his eyes as he delivers each leaden line... but grud help me, I could not stop watching...

DaveGYNWA

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 14 July, 2015, 05:29:22 PM
Under the Dome... my self hate kept me going. It is objectively BAD television. Characters constantly act in inconsistent ways, never telling each other the crazy things they saw... then I read it is written by the Lost team... Horrible show. You can see Dean Norris screaming 'I WAS IN BREAKING BAD!' from behind his eyes as he delivers each leaden line... but grud help me, I could not stop watching...

We were browsing the channels the other night and this was on. After looking at the info, the first thing I thought was "how the hell did this get to season 3?" I think we gave up on it after 2 episodes of the first series for the reasons you state.
Peas sell. But who's Brian?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 14 July, 2015, 05:29:22 PM
Being off work long term sick has pros and cons. Pros - I have been watching a lot of online tv... Firefly rewatch was as beautiful as ever.
I remember partway through season 1, Steven King defended the show in public, saying it was a different version of his book but still great, etc etc. The thing that always struck me is, if the original book had had the same plot as the show, it'd have been a complete disaster.