Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pictsy

I have been watching a lot of Bleach lately.  Hadn't seen it before and I was enjoying it.  Unfortunately I am currently two thirds of the way through one of the animes filler arcs and those things are too often tiresome.  This one isn't as bad as the Naruto filler arcs, but it does drag.

Professor Bear

Naruto made me stop watching anime entirely.  I just couldn't face it anymore - luckily, Avatar: Legend of Korra.
You really should.

Hawkmumbler

Korra isn't anime. It's American property, produced by a Korean animation studio.

JamesC

I've been watching loads and loads of Person of Interest lately.
I really like it because it strikes a good balance between 80s action shows like The A Team and MacGyver with their 'baddie of the week' structure and simple three act stories and more modern thriller TV shows with drawn out arcs.
It's easy watching, it's not confusing and all the characters are likeable for different reasons. Plus there are loads of cool action bits where baddies get a good pasting from Jim Caveziel
Definitely recommended and excellent as a teatime, undemanding alternative to the One Show and rubbishy soap operas.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 13 May, 2015, 07:02:31 PM
Korra isn't anime. It's American property, produced by a Korean animation studio.

So it's anime, then.

Goaty

Loved Person of Interest, very interesting to watch.

And Jim Caveziel does not kill bad men, just shoot lots of legs!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Bearshark on 05 May, 2015, 03:55:00 AM
Yeah, too many straps and rivets and bolts. Looked like something from a DC show. Nowhere near as cool as his Ninja Cowl and Matt Black Trakkies.

I think the series suffered from being released all at once. It was designed to be binged on. If you chose to ration it out, it suffered from a drop in pace, just before the last act, which was just a wee bit too neat. Interesting take on Kingpin.

I think the first half of the series stands out because it is quite possibly the best live action origin story ever. Through a series of flashbacks which culminate to [spoiler]Stick's[/spoiler] appearance, I got to understand who Matt was and what he could do.

This show just had the same problem all Movie Origin Stories have: What do you do once you've established the hero? This show didn't have the budget to show a massive gas/lazer attack from the top of a skyscraper.

The binge is not an issue for me, it's more that it felt 3-4 hours too long, which can be an issue with shows intended for syndication that require at least 13 episodes per season.

I'd assumed that the fledgling profession side of Murdock & Co. would be used more to build different cases and an evidence picture against Kingpin as the season progressed, with the failure of that not working being the reason that pushes Murdock into going all Daredevil on him at the end, but they opted more for rambling secondary character moping instead to fill in the time which made some characters feel a little superfluous. Otherwise it's the best of Marvel TV and the best of Marvel villainy. It also handled the mystical elements really well for a "realistic" series - now all it needs is Spider-Man & Doctor Strange.

The red-suit didn't bother me.

pictsy

Quote from: Lesbian Seagull on 13 May, 2015, 06:41:19 PM
Naruto made me stop watching anime entirely.  I just couldn't face it anymore - luckily, Avatar: Legend of Korra.
You really should.

I just stopped watching the series because of the filler crud.  I went and read fan translations of the Manga and was very pleased I did.  I catch up every now and again and I still enjoy the story.

I have seen numerous anime since I gave up on the Naruto anime.  In the last year I have seen Elfen Leid, both Hellsings, the most recent Guyver and started watching a weird one called Fooly Cooly.

Never been enticed by Avatar.  I keep getting hassle to watch things like Cowboy Beebop and Kill la Kill.

Professor Bear

Kill La Kill reminds me of Excel Saga, in that it is enjoyable if you like anime characters screaming their genre awareness at each other for twenty minutes, but largely seems made for anime nerds.  Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and Neon Genesis Evangelion - I'll go out on a limb and say you've been hassled to watch one or more of those, but personally, I found lighter-going shovelware like Gundam Seed and Samurai 7 more fun.

pictsy

Well GitS SAC is something I bought when the boxsets were first released.  I'm a massive GitS fan, although I have been very hesitant in watching the latest addition.

Neon Genesis Evangelion is one I don't actually get hassled about and have encountered more hate than love for.  I started watching it, but couldn't get into it at the time.  I think it may have been off the back of a Patlabor marathon (after I managed to find all the anime) and I was perhaps tired of more giant robot action.

Samurai Champloo is one I have had recommended, but once I'm done with Bleach my next anime series will probably be Cowboy Bebop.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Lesbian Seagull on 13 May, 2015, 07:43:25 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 13 May, 2015, 07:02:31 PM

So it's anime, then.
No.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 13 May, 2015, 10:02:11 PM
It's American property, produced by a Korean animation studio.

See, you've just described Powerpuff Girls Z, Supernatural, Big O season 2, and many more.  Don't get hung up on labels.  If you do I will refer to it as Japanimation and I shan't stop doing so.

pictsy

I actually agree with Hawkmonger.  Nevertheless I have come to terms with the alternative point of view and I can even understand where it is coming from.  Defining genres is pretty arbitrary and for me Anime is about more than style.  This comes from the reasons I love it.  I have enjoyed American cartoons (outsourced to Korea or not), but I like them for different reasons.

M.I.K.

*Brings up the original series of Mysterious Cities of Gold, Dogtanian, and Around The World With Willy Fog, just to confuse matters...*

*...and Ulysses 31...*

Hawkmumbler

Big O season 2 is an interesting one, as the first run was met with mediocre reactions from the Japanese audience but was critically lauded by Western fans. And rightly so, it's a fucking amazing show. So naturally a second series aimed more towards the western fan base was a given and economy's had to be made, such as shifting the production team.