Main Menu

Day of Chaos 2: a.Covid-19 thread.

Started by TordelBack, 05 March, 2020, 08:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Cheers, Dave. Appalling mess about covers it.

ChickenStu

Quote from: TordelBack on 13 October, 2020, 09:30:16 AM
Cheers, Dave. Appalling mess about covers it.

Tord mate. I know how you're feeling, been in the same boat. Drop us a PM if you need to vent mate.
Ma Ma's not the law... (you know the rest)

TordelBack

Cheers, ChickenStu.

This was published in our 'newspaper of record' today:

The weak must die - and here's why!  Almost every word of this is a carefully twisted misrepresentation. You see these things in 1930s newspapers, and feel ill. To see them in today's Irish Times, I want to hurt someone. Several someones.

Rately

I still shudder at the mindset that places the economy over any life.

Because they're old it somehow doesn't matter? Christ.

Hopefully Covid passes them and their families over, but i think as this long, endless misery plays out, a lot of re-evaluation will take place, not just with private citizens.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

Yes it is.

So why is just about everybody in the world, and every country, in debt?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

shaolin_monkey

This is a fascinating article from the Financial Times data team, which tracks the history of Coronavirus by the numbers and statistics.

https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-global-data

TordelBack

Restricted to 5km again. Means I won't see the sea again from Wednesday until sometime next year, let alone swim in it. Even the nearest incredibly-cold lake is outside my cage.  Doubt it's a coincidence that every million-euro home in Dublin won't have this problem.

Bugger.

shaolin_monkey

"It's likely 2,000 people will die over the next two weeks and 4,000 the two weeks after that."
- Prof. Christina Pagel, Clinical Operational Research Unit at University College London, discusses the 'relentless doubling' of infection rates.

https://www.politics.co.uk/comment-analysis/2020/10/20/a-circuit-break-will-save-thousands-of-lives

JayzusB.Christ

I've recently had to work alongside a chap who immediately started decrying masks and banging on how the public has fallen for the Covid thing 'hook, line and sinker' (the pandemic exists but it doesn't kill anyone, apparently), talking as if I already agreed with him. I assured him I didn't and wore my mask constantly, keeping well away from his stupid infectious face, then decided I'd work in the evening when he wasn't there.  And nor was anyone else working there for that matter - one of the few benefits of self-employment.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

Wot? Ain't you 'eard of the "plandemic", then, Christ, me olde mucker? S'all a plot, innit?! That Gates fella, he's planned the 'ole shebang, he 'as.

It's like Robert Anton Wilson & Robert Shea never wrote The Illuminatis! Trilogy.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Dandontdare

Not being able to see my parents has been the hardest thing for me. They're both 89, and my dad's been going downhill the last couple of years (dramatically so since I last saw him apparently), slower, more forgetful and confused, whilst my mum still has all her marbles but is frail. She's bored (he hasn't the attention span for "chat") and having to care for him alone. I've only seen them once in the last eight months.

Thankfully, my brother and his family live a few miles away and have been looking after them in their bubble. My nephew's been doing their shopping and stopping by for a weekly socially-distanced chat (he's a primary school teacher) and my niece has been bringing the light of their lives George (2yrs) for visits - she took a short break to squeeze a daughter out in August (who I'm aching to meet), so that's keeping them entertained. Living in Manchester and commuting to work by tram every day, I have to stay away, but it's hard.

I used to get the train over once a month out of habit and a sense of duty, often resenting the loss of a weekend to dull conversation, but I'd give anything to just do a bit of my mum's jigsaw or watch Match of the Day with my dad.

TordelBack

Feel for you, DDD, that's unbearably shit.

I'm lucky in that I live down the road from my parents (despite not having hugged them since Feb), but they now firmly believe they'll never see my Ozzer brother and his kids in person again, like some 19th C emigration tragedy. My mother has taken to facetiming them every day at 6am, which rather undermines that analogy, but only makes me think of awful desperation. Last night my other brother and his lovely wife,  separated in a different county for over a month now, told us all they were expecting their second sprog ... over fecking Zoom. At the weekend it was the same thing for my sister-in-law's 40th.

Such a terrible cost. It's a fucking mess.

IndigoPrime

What gets me is how much of this was plainly avoidable. I have a friend in China who says this is largely over there now. You obviously have to take data from Chinese authorities with a fistful of salt, but he says life is just happening now. Occasionally, a neighbourhood will get locked down but generally, things have mostly returned to normal.

A recent Bunker interviewed someone from New Zealand, and there, too, everything seems to be basically back to how it was. The interviewee seemed a bit concerned about complacency; but by the same token, he was looking forward to a standard stadium rugby game, a trip to the cinema and having a meal at a cafe.

Politically, these two countries couldn't be more different, but they share one thing in common: political will. Those countries who have failed to any great extent have mostly (not all) lacked this. The USA, UK, Sweden and others who went for "ah, it'll all be fine" are perhaps the worst offenders; but you also see countries like Iceland who were doing so bloody well and then fucked everything up because tourism. Had they locked down for a year, taken it on the chin and enacted some form of UBI, they'd have been more like NZ rather than having a rapidly increasing infection rate for the first time.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo on 20 October, 2020, 11:05:53 PM
Wot? Ain't you 'eard of the "plandemic", then, Christ, me olde mucker? S'all a plot, innit?! That Gates fella, he's planned the 'ole shebang, he 'as.

It's like Robert Anton Wilson & Robert Shea never wrote The Illuminatis! Trilogy.

:lol:
But also  :'(

Sorry to hear about your situation, DDD.  Also yours, TB, and your folks'. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"