Main Menu

Does my Art look big in this?

Started by staticgirl, 10 February, 2010, 02:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emperor

Quote from: RossBam on 14 March, 2012, 10:47:07 AM
This is a little Dredd as practise with inks before i get started on a Dredd strip (which is itself practise before I start work on a strip for the next Dogbreath). would appreciate any comments.
http://nemesisbeast.deviantart.com/#/d4st710

Well OK - the thing that strikes me are the folds, they look almost like exposed bone (a bit like the monster Dredd in the recent Armitage), so you might want to do some practice sketches of folded cloth to get your eye in. Also I'd not expect a Judge's uniform to be quite so "baggy" anyway, so that could have been toned down a bit.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

RossBam

Quote from: Emperor on 14 March, 2012, 03:18:19 PM
Well OK - the thing that strikes me are the folds, they look almost like exposed bone (a bit like the monster Dredd in the recent Armitage), so you might want to do some practice sketches of folded cloth to get your eye in. Also I'd not expect a Judge's uniform to be quite so "baggy" anyway, so that could have been toned down a bit.

thanks Emperor, you're right, i'm not happy how that turned out and have be drawing his suit less baggy in subsequent appearances. I'm guessing everything else looks about right then?

CrazyFoxMachine

It's Simon Fraser's birthday and he's like - my biggest inspiration ever so I like, TOTALLY drew him a picture of Dante but it's like LAME AS therefore defeating it's own purpose lol - go and wish him happy birthday he really is the living yes.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: RossBam on 14 March, 2012, 03:42:19 PM

thanks Emperor, you're right, i'm not happy how that turned out and have be drawing his suit less baggy in subsequent appearances. I'm guessing everything else looks about right then?

Sorry, dude, your linework is excellent, but you also need to get some life drawing in.  You don't necessarily need to go to art class, just google the pose you want and draw it with Dredd's clothes and face. As for creased clothing, I found that studying the effects of light on cylinders worked for me.  Hope you don't mind being critiqued, but if you're going to try a Dredd strip, you're standing on the shoulders of giants.  Keep it up though, you'll get there!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

DoomBot

Agree with emps, also the head is a bit big so You might want to check your anatomy and proportions. Otherwise good effort.

My weekend efforts:

The Legendary Shark

There's a Future Shock in that...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Emperor

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 14 March, 2012, 06:30:12 PM

Sorry, dude, your linework is excellent, but you also need to get some life drawing in.

Yes, I think "work on your anatomy" is the most common reply from Tharg when people show their work to him. So I think everyone can assume they always need to work on their anatomy, then when they think they've nailed it, work on it some more. If you've got a camera with a timer take some shots of yourself in the pose and study the proportions, angles and how cloth moves as the body moves underneath.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

The Legendary Shark

Or just pause movies and take screenshots.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

RossBam

Quote from: Emperor on 14 March, 2012, 07:20:36 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 14 March, 2012, 06:30:12 PM

Sorry, dude, your linework is excellent, but you also need to get some life drawing in.

Yes, I think "work on your anatomy" is the most common reply from Tharg when people show their work to him. So I think everyone can assume they always need to work on their anatomy, then when they think they've nailed it, work on it some more. If you've got a camera with a timer take some shots of yourself in the pose and study the proportions, angles and how cloth moves as the body moves underneath.

Can do - thanks very much guys - appreciate it.

TordelBack

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 14 March, 2012, 07:32:11 PM
Or just pause movies and take screenshots.

But not the kind of movies Greg Land watches.

RossBam

I hope this isn't getting boring, but we had a system failure at work so I started another Dredd. This took about 3 hrs and done while i was working but surprisingly i reckon it's better in a number of ways than other sketches i do when I'm not making phone calls at the same time.

http://nemesisbeast.deviantart.com/art/sneaky-dredd-sketch-290429895

Emperor

Yeah, much better. Possibly look into the foreshortening - the right hand looks a little big and the right leg a little small, but still... a great improvement.

staticgirl

This is for a psychic-ish girl story I am illustrating. The pic proved unexpectedly popular when I posted it on Facebook earlier even though I deliberately didn't polish it as much as usual as it's only a character design shot. I did the colours because I was losing the paintbrush icon in all the grey but it reminded me of old comics colouring and orange is the colour of the 70s. It wasn't even going to be set in the 70s until I said to the author how it reminded me of old movies and comics and we got all inspired.

I was also inspired by a stunning set of photographs taken in the late 70s by a then teacher, George Plemper, of the people who lived in the area around Thamesmead which are well worth a look.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7718785@N06/sets/72157601487596227/with/450387462/

Just a bloody brilliant photo.

TordelBack

Wow, I can see why it got attention - it's brilliant!  That photoset is terrific too.