Main Menu

Does my Art look big in this?

Started by staticgirl, 10 February, 2010, 02:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

I have my own question not to de-rail the topic to much. I'm working on inking lines on sketches. How can I help distinguish between the perspective of each line. I hear you should give each surface to a picture a different line thickness. I susspect this means to use thicker lines on clothing than on skin, the tightnes of the clothing dicktating the thicknes of the line, but can anyone give me any suggestions?

Jim_Campbell

Hmm. In ink, at least, line weight tends to vary more by distance — heavier lines and more variation in weight in the foreground, finer, more even line weights in the background. Also with light source — heavier lines on the darker side of an object, finer lines on the light side.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

blackmocco

Quote from: radiator on 16 September, 2013, 11:52:28 AM
Thanks man.

I erm, haven't actually seen the film myself. I'm very hot and cold on Refn - loved Drive and Bronson, didn't connect with Valhalla Rising and I heard that OGF is more like the latter so gave it a miss.

The actual final version was with the blood all shaded, rendered and detailed (see the movie poster crop version below) but in the end I preferred the simpler, graphic version. I have a tendency to overdo and overthink stuff - I guess to compensate for a lack of confidence - when in reality my simpler designs tend to be better received.

Movie's a load of wanky bollocks. Fucking hated it from start to finish and I liked Valhalla Rising but this cover's great.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 17 September, 2013, 09:00:43 PM
Hmm. In ink, at least, line weight tends to vary more by distance — heavier lines and more variation in weight in the foreground, finer, more even line weights in the background. Also with light source — heavier lines on the darker side of an object, finer lines on the light side.

Cheers

Jim
Thanks Jim.  :)

Steven Denton

SuperSurfer

Had a bit of a struggle with this months art comp. I tidied up my sketch, printed it in blue line on bristol board, inked it. Was happy with it, scanned it and then felt the inks lost sharpness. I think my brush pen is just too thick for that kind of drawing on A4.

I really must make a concerted effort to start on the art comps earlier. Always feel I need to finish and then revisit with fresh eyes.

I enjoy doing the looser stuff but every once in a while I like to try the tighter stuff. Anyway...

Mardroid

Looks great to me SuperSurfer.

I'm particularly impressed by the shadow/feathering. I've often thought that must take a LOT of patience.

Steven Austin

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 02 October, 2013, 08:43:11 PM
Had a bit of a struggle with this months art comp. I tidied up my sketch, printed it in blue line on bristol board, inked it. Was happy with it, scanned it and then felt the inks lost sharpness. I think my brush pen is just too thick for that kind of drawing on A4.

I really must make a concerted effort to start on the art comps earlier. Always feel I need to finish and then revisit with fresh eyes.

I enjoy doing the looser stuff but every once in a while I like to try the tighter stuff. Anyway...

Yeah looks great to me too - I actually think the slighly heavier line finish suits this piece nicely. What brush pen do you use? I use a Pentel brush pen and I have found that with some practice you can get a really fine line, even on A4.

SuperSurfer

Quote from: Steven Austin on 03 October, 2013, 09:12:32 AM
What brush pen do you use? I use a Pentel brush pen and I have found that with some practice you can get a really fine line, even on A4.
Thanks Mardroid and Steven Austin.

I did that last one with a Pentel brush pen and tidied up some lines on computer. I'm happy with it when inking close ups but not so keen on it for detailed stuff. Not sure if I need to hold it more upright. Or maybe I need to try working on larger paper. I find the tip clogs up quite easily and won't draw very fine lines. Once it's cleaned that's half a cartridge of ink gone.

I've bought just about every black pen available but end up using rollerball pens quite often as I like the resistance. I want to try brushes and ink which I used to prefer years ago and also want to try nibs.

Are your comic pages inked with brush pen, Steve? They look great BTW.

Steven Austin

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 03 October, 2013, 04:12:19 PM
Quote from: Steven Austin on 03 October, 2013, 09:12:32 AM
What brush pen do you use? I use a Pentel brush pen and I have found that with some practice you can get a really fine line, even on A4.
Thanks Mardroid and Steven Austin.

I did that last one with a Pentel brush pen and tidied up some lines on computer. I'm happy with it when inking close ups but not so keen on it for detailed stuff. Not sure if I need to hold it more upright. Or maybe I need to try working on larger paper. I find the tip clogs up quite easily and won't draw very fine lines. Once it's cleaned that's half a cartridge of ink gone.

Really? I don't have any issue with mine, although to get a very fine line I do have to hold it very low down, pretty much at the point where the plastic hits the brush, any higher and I loose the degree of control needed to get hairlines. Not had any issues with clogging though. I have tried several different brush pens too and this is the only one that maintains its point. From my perspective, the only way I think it could be improved is if the brush were a little shorter.

I've bought just about every black pen available but end up using rollerball pens quite often as I like the resistance. I want to try brushes and ink which I used to prefer years ago and also want to try nibs.

Are your comic pages inked with brush pen, Steve? They look great BTW.

Mabs

Just a little piece I did the other day called "Robot Apocalypse"!

I took inspiration from a brilliant panel in "A Night on the town" by Josef Rother & Klaus Scherwinski, depicting monster mayhem! In my case it's robot mayhem!   :lol:
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Hawkmumbler

Great stuff mabs! Love Optimus Prime getting twated by Hammertstein.  :lol:

Mabs

Thanks Hawkmonger! I enjoyed drawing that!  :D
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Definitely Not Mister Pops

You may quote me on that.

Daveycandlish

An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!