Main Menu

Does my Art look big in this?

Started by staticgirl, 10 February, 2010, 02:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Lambert

I did a portrait of a movie style SJS Judge based on someone's costume. It was an amazing costume!

Third Estate Ned

I bloody love that! It's an amazing picture.

antodonnell

For a change I thought I'd share some of my 3d art that I'm finishing off an a personal project which I wanted to improve the quality of but instead I rebuilt it all  :o

Woolly

Quote from: antodonnell on 12 June, 2015, 02:34:35 PM
For a change I thought I'd share some of my 3d art that I'm finishing off an a personal project which I wanted to improve the quality of but instead I rebuilt it all  :o

Woah  :o
Bloody good texturing going on there, got a really nice level of imperfection that makes it look, paradoxically, perfect!*
If I didn't know better, I'd say it was a photograph.

*That sounds like I'm slagging it off, but I'm not. I'm really not.

antodonnell

Thanks Woolly,

The imperfections were added in Zbrush but as you mentioned it's not going overboard that helps. I find producing game art versus comic art always messes with my head. In games it's often about tiny details and  attaining some level of realism where comic art for me anyway is better when it's looser, less refined and more dynamic.

That sums up my art process constant contradiction depending on my mindset at the time.

I am tempted to tackle a Mega City environment piece someday. I liked the Dredd game at the time. It'll be good to see Mega City in the Unreal Engine. It'll also be a rather large project though.

Woolly

Quote from: antodonnell on 13 June, 2015, 04:43:41 PM
I am tempted to tackle a Mega City environment piece someday. I liked the Dredd game at the time. It'll be good to see Mega City in the Unreal Engine. It'll also be a rather large project though.

Given the quality of your current work, that could be a sight to behold.
But yeah, not a small project at all!

JayzusB.Christ

After 40 years of being alive, I've finally worked out how to use watercolour.  (Watered-down acrylic actually, but it feels the same to me.)

Here's a painting I did for a Thai massage shop.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Woolly

I'm no art critic, but that looks stunning to me  :o
Your use of contrast in the colours really brings out what a bright image it is, and the feeling of weight you given the masseur works perfectly - you can genuinely see the pressure she's using.

Great picture, Jayzus, I'm quite envious! You should be very proud.

Fungus

Very nice Jayzus, and it's definitely one of the hardest media (albeit really acrylic here). Nice timing, I've set time aside today and plan to dabble in some watercolour too.
As for 'how to use', I don't think you can beat trial-and-error, and when you encounter supposed 'rules', ignore them and see what happens...

JayzusB.Christ

Thanks for your kind words, guys! I've used one of the business's photos for reference; it's either a stock one or they've 'acquired' it from someone else's site. (I suspect the latter, but feck it, their money is as good as anyone's...)

Would love to see some of your watercolour dabbling, Fungus.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Fungus

Here you go Jayzus  :)

Posted some older watercolour stuff here a few months back too. Happy with this, but look at the highlights: globs of white (acrylic) instead of leaving the white paper... Sacrilege, and proof I wasn't careful enough. White is the key, it's not just a colouring-in exercise  :| A tough medium...

I, Cosh

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 20 July, 2015, 05:10:09 PM
Here's a painting I did for a Thai massage shop.
At last, a thread with a happy ending! Smart work.
We never really die.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Fungus on 22 July, 2015, 08:30:29 AM
Here you go Jayzus  :)

Brillant!  I really like that.  Really nice work on the hand, something I have loads of trouble drawing / painting.

..and Cosh, I knew someone would mention a happy ending; as surely as night follows day  ;)

Albion

Bringing justice to a small blue planet.........

Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

IAMTHESYSTEM

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla