Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SIP

I'm seeing it on Wednesday. .....will see what I think.

Michael Knight

I haven't seen Star Trek Beyond yet, and whilst I enjoy anything in with Star Trek in the title I don't think they compare favourably the the movies before JJ Abrams Franchise came along.
I say this as a big fan Of JJ Abrams work, but the new movies whilst enjoyable just don't feel like Trek to me.
Anyone else feel the same?

dweezil2

Quote from: Tordelback on 23 July, 2016, 02:46:22 PM
Yoincks, is it really that poor? I was quite looking forward to it after the last couple of trailers..

I went into the film with an open mind and I really wanted to like it, but aside from some good performances, you can tell that the script was a rush job.

Definitely not the 50th anniversary celebration I'd hoped for, despite a couple of touching and well judged moments.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

TordelBack

I like the first one despite/because it makes no sense, but Into Darkness was an abomination unto Nuggan. And I speak as a fan of crappy ST movies, Abrams, Quinto, Pine, Urban, Saldana, Pegg, Cumberbatch and Nimoy. This one looked so lively and so far removed from regular Trek that I figured different could be good... Also, Pegg has earned my support in his endeavours, even when they don't work out. And then there's the prospect of Idris Elba cosplaying as Andreas Katsulas...

dweezil2

Quote from: Tordelback on 23 July, 2016, 05:26:05 PM
I like the first one despite/because it makes no sense, but Into Darkness was an abomination unto Nuggan. And I speak as a fan of crappy ST movies, Abrams, Quinto, Pine, Urban, Saldana, Pegg, Cumberbatch and Nimoy. This one looked so lively and so far removed from regular Trek that I figured different could be good... Also, Pegg has earned my support in his endeavours, even when they don't work out. And then there's the prospect of Idris Elba cosplaying as Andreas Katsulas...

It's marginally better than The risible Into Darkness, simply because it doesn't rehash an existing plot and do it badly-so a success of sorts I guess.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Mardroid

Super-8 just now on Neflix.

It's been on my list for a while, but I guess I just didn't feel like it much. I think watching the recent Mysterious Things series kind of put me in the mood.

Anyway, very good!

And loved the extra movie within movie at the end. Hee hee.

Hawkmumbler

Two more at the Sure film festical, Spectre (2015) which is utterly fucking awful, like most Bond films before it. And Heil Ceaser! (2015, dir. Coen Bros) which is an utterly delightful mind boggling adventure like every Coen's movie before it.

Then a few home for a few beers and more movies, specifically more giallo. They Have No Faces (1974, dir. Corrado Farrina) is the debut and penultimate work of fiction by the director and a real triumph! One of the finest examples of the genre with a glorious atmosphere and timeless attitude to horror, a real buried gem in every sense! Followed up by the more sleazy Almost Human (1975, dir. Umberto Lenzi) which is still a bloody excellent movie with possibly one of the most under appreciated chase sequnces in cinema, and a brilliant 'whos who' of the Italian exploitation scene, with Thomas Millian once again cast as the sleaze ball crook, Henry Silva bringing his bad cop act, and Roy Lovelock as the heart throb punk protagonist. A hell of a lot of fun!

Magnetica

Just re-watched Star Trek Into Darkness as precursor to going to see the new one.

I am really not sure why it gets such a bad press around here. I actually quite liked it and have seen it at least 4 times now. Ok the bit lifted directly out of the Wrath of Khan (and reversed) does make me cringe (and also the [spoiler]resurrection [/spoiler]but at least they set up the mechanism for it early on with the [spoiler]tribble)[/spoiler].

But over all it is pretty decent and the plot does actually make sense.

My opinion anyway.

Keef Monkey

Edge of Tomorrow, which we really, really enjoyed. It's a total blast, not sure why it seems to have passed under the general radar to some degree. I read the book a couple of years ago and had been warned that there were some niggling diversions from the source material, but I really didn't think the (fairly minor) changes hurt it. The action is great, with the beach landing itself being really intense. I might now be a bit in love with Emily Blunt too, she's fantastic in it.

Greg M.

Assault on Precinct 13 (1976) - Despite loving most of John Carpenter's output, I'd never got round to seeing this one. It's great. It's not a genre film, but it's frequently reminiscent of Night of the Living Dead - fairly deliberately, I understand.  Brilliant minimal soundtrack, and Darwin Joston as Napoleon Wilson is one of the great Carpenter anti-heroes.

Eyes Without a Face (1960) - French black and white 'poetic horror' movie about a plastic surgeon trying to restore his daughter's face, destroyed in a car crash. Unfortunately, he does so by having girls abducted and removing their faces - spectacularly graphically for 1960! A strange, unsettling, dream-like movie - well worth a view.

Grapes of Death (1978) - More French horror, directed by Jean Rollin. Pesticide used on grapes is turning innocent French wine-drinkers into infected pseudo-zombies. Lots of roaming across desolate rural France, crumbling buildings everywhere, interspersed with scenes of ridiculously over-the-top violence, perversion, and boobs. Very atmospheric, but the lead character gets increasingly irritating as the film progresses - her tendency to get other people killed escalates to an (admittedly) logical conclusion.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 25 July, 2016, 09:24:08 AM
Edge of Tomorrow, which we really, really enjoyed. It's a total blast, not sure why it seems to have passed under the general radar to some degree.
Yeah, I don't get it either. I thought it was great fun.

If you haven't seen it, I'd highly recommend Sicario for another helping of Emily Blunt being awesome.
We never really die.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 24 July, 2016, 10:40:37 PM
Spectre (2015) which is utterly fucking awful, like most Bond films before it.

Most BOND films are brilliant fun and made for rewatching multiple times.  They seem to have forgotten that while making Spectre.  There is some stuff to enjoy but it is mostly all down hill, spectacularly at some points, after the opening credits.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Hawkmumbler

I really can't teach myself to like Bond, after successive disappointments i'm struggling to find a single instalment I found anything redeemable about.

TordelBack

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 25 July, 2016, 02:28:07 PM
I really can't teach myself to like Bond, after successive disappointments i'm struggling to find a single instalment I found anything redeemable about.

Richard Kiel?

NapalmKev

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 25 July, 2016, 02:28:07 PM

On Her Majestys Secret Service is a favourite of mine, although many seem to hate it. The greatest ever Bond film is Live and let Die.

Bond films aren't as fun as they used to be!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"