Main Menu

Sideshow Vote II: You are my second favorite son, son

Started by broodblik, 06 July, 2022, 03:50:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rogue Judge

2000AD was the oasis in the Cursed Earth when I took the long walk from comics several years ago.

However, I still have a soft spot for Marvel after reading Marvel comics for so many years. I'll vote 80s and early 90s Marvel.

GoGilesGo

I have one son only thank you

little to no interest in capes

broodblik

Wednesday is the last day to choose your favorite second son
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: gogilesgo on 07 July, 2022, 05:43:16 AM
I have one son only thank you

little to no interest in capes

To be fair many - in fact most - of the publishers listed and voted for have very little to do with 'capes'. Always important to fight the illusion that comics and superheroes are the same thing...

..unless you were making a tangental sartorial comment?

broodblik

I think one of the problems is that the majority of people view comics as capes only and not for the vast diversity that comics actually brings to the party
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

GoGilesGo

Quote from: broodblik on 10 July, 2022, 12:19:21 PM
I think one of the problems is that the majority of people view comics as capes only and not for the vast diversity that comics actually brings to the party

yeah, that was probably too dismissive of me. A sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Looking at my selves there are a few non-Tooth titles: Southern Bastards and some Brubakers from Image, Arab of the Future, Maus, the Darwyn Cooke Parker adaptations.

And of course I consider Alan Moore's output (LoEG, Nemo, Watchmen, Providence) to be cousins to 2000AD.

But I'll still stick with I have one son

Dash Decent

There's a handful of publishers I look at, but either only for specific things (Fantagraphics - the Carl Barks library; Jonathan Cape for Grandeville - now finished) or for everything but their output isn't that daunting (Hibernia).  So, I have one son.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Richard

I don't have a second favourite publisher; when I buy something that's not Rebellion it's because I was attracted by the name of the writer. I have a lot of Garth Ennis graphic novels (Preacher, The Boys, War Stories, Hellblazer) and they're all from DC. But I didn't get them because I saw the DC logo.

JayzusB.Christ

Whoever publishes Viz, the only other comic book I've read regularly for decades.  If that's not allowed, then DC.  Not really a superhero fan but I've liked a lot of the Vertigo material (as well as the proto-Vertigo 'mature readers' stuff), and the 'special' Batman GNs - The Killing Joke, DKR, etc.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

broodblik

Timothy

Careful now, there is Viz the comic and Viz the manga publisher.

broodblik

Voting Closed

This was a close with a draw but at the end I felt Cinebook should take the laurels

Colin YNWA

Quote from: broodblik on 13 July, 2022, 04:50:14 AM
Voting Closed

This was a close with a draw but at the end I felt Cinebook should take the laurels

Which publishers did it tie with?

broodblik

It tied with I do not care for the other publishers my only son is 2000AD