Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

The Platform

A bit of an English lit student story, but good fun nonethless. Bit of a Harry 20 vibe.

Really well dubbed in places (it's Spanish) and not so good in others.
Lock up your spoons!

pictsy

Guyver: Dark Hero

This film is pretty boring.  I'm not going to say the goofiness of the first film was better.  It was just a different kind of rubbish.  Nevertheless, the first film had Mark Hamill and Jeffrey Combs, so it wins out on that basis only.

It just wasn't exciting enough to warrant a 2 hour run time and just dragged along.  It was nice to see some additional story elements from the source material, but there was only as much as there was in the first film.  I would have been happy if there was a lot more melodrama.

I'm not sure whether the attempted to replicate the Zoanoid designs and if they did, they failed hard.  It's a minor gripe, but I would have enjoyed seeing a silly Gregor costume.

I'm glad I didn't watch these films when I became aware of them.  I don't think I'd have been as forgiving as I am now.

Keef Monkey

I really wish they'd re-release the original Guyver anime series, the closest I've been able to find is a few old DVDs of a later remake series, but that original one which Manga UK released as a monthly 'video comic' was really a big thing for me back then but never seems to have resurfaced here!

Watched Random Acts of Violence on Shudder, didn't hate it but it was a bit dull. There were some stylish moments but overall didn't do much for me. Also it seems to always be the case that whenever a movie or TV show features a fictional comic (it's about a serial killer taking inspiration from a hit slasher comic) they never look anywhere near as good as actual comics. Get some 2000AD artists on the job!

pictsy

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 17 September, 2020, 10:17:51 AM
I really wish they'd re-release the original Guyver anime series, the closest I've been able to find is a few old DVDs of a later remake series, but that original one which Manga UK released as a monthly 'video comic' was really a big thing for me back then but never seems to have resurfaced here!

That was my introduction to Guyver as well.  I had the whole OVA series on VHS.  I do think the second series adaptation is better in every regard and it would have been nice to see it continue, especially as the Manga is still being published.

pictsy

Hackers

I haven't seen this in such a long time.  I have never been a fan and I actually remembered it being better than it is.  Angelina Jolie is terrible in this, Jonny Lee Miller is an uncharismatic lead and Alberta Watson is either half asleep, drunk or both.  Fisher Stevens and Matthew Lillard delightfully chew the scenery (honourable mentions to Darren Lee and Peter Kim for their roles as Razor and Blade).  Everyone else puts in a capable performance.

The plot isn't really that interesting.  The film is largely built on a foundation of style and it really just comes across as trying too hard in hindsight.  I wouldn't necessarily say it's representative of 90's style.  It seems to me the film wanted to set the trend rather than follow it.  So I guess it does have that going for it and probably explains it's cult film status.

One thing I have to give this film credit for is its awesome soundtrack.  In some ways, the soundtrack was so good it was distracting me from the film.

Overall the film wasn't too idiotic to make it unwatchable and, as ridiculous as it is, it followed it's own internal logic and kept a coherent but pedestrian storyline.  It makes it an unchallenging evening distraction.

Angry Vince

Just watched Train to Busan.

Hands down the best zombie movie I've seen in a long time. Avoids those lazy jump scares & tired tropes and has genuine adrenaline-fueled zombie action. 10/10 brains.

Will watch Peninsula next weekend after a cool down.

In the meantime, I'm off to play Zombie Army 4 - for unrelated reasons.
Angry Vince: One Man Against the World! (So far the world is winning 96:0)

von Boom

Quote from: pictsy on 18 September, 2020, 10:53:46 AM
Hackers

I haven't seen this in such a long time.  I have never been a fan and I actually remembered it being better than it is.  Angelina Jolie is terrible in this, Jonny Lee Miller is an uncharismatic lead and Alberta Watson is either half asleep, drunk or both.  Fisher Stevens and Matthew Lillard delightfully chew the scenery (honourable mentions to Darren Lee and Peter Kim for their roles as Razor and Blade).  Everyone else puts in a capable performance.

The plot isn't really that interesting.  The film is largely built on a foundation of style and it really just comes across as trying too hard in hindsight.  I wouldn't necessarily say it's representative of 90's style.  It seems to me the film wanted to set the trend rather than follow it.  So I guess it does have that going for it and probably explains it's cult film status.

One thing I have to give this film credit for is its awesome soundtrack.  In some ways, the soundtrack was so good it was distracting me from the film.

Overall the film wasn't too idiotic to make it unwatchable and, as ridiculous as it is, it followed it's own internal logic and kept a coherent but pedestrian storyline.  It makes it an unchallenging evening distraction.
It's one of those films that's so ridiculous it's fun. Some of the references are good. Like those sweet, sweet Gibson mainframes.

broodblik

First time in more than 6 months I have been to the theaters and i watched Tenent . All i can say this is a great movie but I will want to watch it again to add all the what is happening together. 
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Professor Bear

Possibly of interest to those intending to see - or already have seen - Disney's live-action Mulan remake, Xiran Jay Zhao has a few observations and so made a Youtube channel to talk about them.
What was interesting to me is that she picks up the "born for greatness" trope (as opposed to making oneself great through force of will and good character) as a cultural difference between the East and West's heroic fantasies.  Thinking about how our screen heroes still draw from classical myths from 2-8000 years ago, this is a pretty interesting take.

pictsy

Red 2

It's an action romp with a decent cast.  Probably better than the first one.  Not familiar with its source material so I can only judge it on its own merits.  It is pretty light entertainment with some amusing moments.  I enjoyed it.

repoman

Quote from: pictsy on 21 September, 2020, 05:15:56 PM
Red 2

It's an action romp with a decent cast.  Probably better than the first one.  Not familiar with its source material so I can only judge it on its own merits.  It is pretty light entertainment with some amusing moments.  I enjoyed it.

I reckon if you ditch Die Hard 4 and 5 and replace them with Red 1 and 2, you've got the best quintology ever.

Keef Monkey

Vivarium on Shudder, a weird and unsettling film with some really creepy stuff going on. I liked it a lot, and the lead performances were great, especially considering I rarely enjoy Jesse Eisenberg.

Before The Flood, a Dicaprio doc about climate change on Disney +. I've owned the soundtrack to this for yonks and listened to it loads but only just getting round to watching the film and it's good, and also scary and that soundtrack is still excellent.

And Bombshell, which I thought was good and everyone in it was great. I had trouble seeing the Megyn Kelly it presents as the same person I'm sure I've seen in Fox clips being horrendous to any guests that don't share Fox's right wing views, but I guess that person might not have made as relatable a movie protagonist so can see why they'd do some character airbrushing (the Murdochs also come out of it looking alright, so I got the impression there were certain people they were wary about offending).

Obviously regardless of what kind of TV presenter she is that doesn't take away from the story it's telling, and it's a good depiction of how that kind of abuse can go on unchallenged in a workplace when it comes from the top, and how difficult it would be to kick against it. Also pretty entertaining just for the parade of actors they get in constantly to play people, usually with a rubber chin or a bonkers accent.

pictsy

Quote from: repoman on 21 September, 2020, 09:03:19 PM
Red 2

I reckon if you ditch Die Hard 4 and 5 and replace them with Red 1 and 2, you've got the best quintology ever.

This sparked some curiosity so I looked up a list of quintologies on wikipedia.  Turns out there isn't much in the way of competition.  Although original Planet of the Apes fans may disagree (I've only seen one of those films, so I have no clue).

Tiplodocus

Quote from: repoman on 21 September, 2020, 09:03:19 PM
Red 2

Except it makes no sense that Bruce Willis' spook character in Red was also an NYPD detective in Die Hard.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

The Legendary Shark

The NYPD job was obviously a cover...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]