Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

As a kid, some artists grab your attention with surface flash. Some artists grow in your estimation, as you learn to appreciate the importance of storytelling and draughtsmanship.

Dillon was one of the few artists I loved from day one, and only grew to value more as my understanding of the craft of comics developed. He was the complete artist; his journey from Hulk to The Meat Lady testifies he really could draw anything, brilliantly.

He changed comics too. If not for Dillon and Brett Ewins's enterprise in founding Deadline, Hewlett, Bond, and our own resident genius, D'Israeli, may never have graced the comic page.

Tjm86

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 22 October, 2016, 04:12:03 PM

Griefbased numberfudge. He hit his stride phenomenally early and his work was so consistent and recognizable.

s'alright.  Lost count (sorry) of the number of times I've done that as well.  That piece is stunning.  That said, I've always thought his tooth work was the best he did.  As enjoyable as Preacher, Hellblazer and Punisher were, they never seemed to achieve the same quality as his Dredd work.  Alone in a Crowd is my all time favourite stand alone Dredd, not least of all for the artwork.  As a story it is sublimely complex and multilayered, a fascinating critique of modern life.

Thanks Joe Soap for confirming my recollection, and for that cracking example of his work.

QuoteThe light that burns twice as bright burns half as long - and you have burned so very, very brightly, Roy.

JamesC

I really can't believe this. I just saw him at NY Comic Con the week before last, doing drawings for fans.
He was one of my all time favourites and has worked on some of the best comic stories ever put to paper in my opinion.
Does anyone know what happened? Was it an accident?

At some point I'll try to scan in my Dredd sketch he did for me in about 2000. It's just a pencil head shot but I couldn't believe how quickly he drew it - literally about 20 seconds (probably quicker than it will take the computer to scan it)!

Grugz

condolences to his family, truly sad...
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Colin YNWA

Just seen the news of Steve Dillons passing on one of the thread specifically about it. Worth adding my sadness here.Such a talented man. My thoughts with his friends and family. Gutting news and such a shock.

Banners

Such a shame—such a fan of the strength and efficiency in his work. Whenever I drew Dredd as a kid, it was Steve Dillon I was trying to copy. His work on Preacher is legendary, and constitutes a great body of work and a huge achievement. Sad news.

Goaty

Steve did this last May for Preacher TV series  :'(

Banners

Just started watching the Preacher series a few days ago. Will be poignant and a little sad to watch now.

Heath C Ackley

Terrible terrible news. Steve was a comic legend and his art inspired us all on this forum and beyond.
"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

JayzusB.Christ

I'm always a tad apprehensive when opening this thread.  But I wasn't expecting this.  Goodbye, Steve - you were awesome.

edit - Having just checked his wikipedia page to learn more about it; I have just learned that Glyn Dillon was his brother, and that Steve looked very much like one of his own drawings.
Dreadful news, anyway. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

hippynumber1

So sad. There are no words; celebrity deaths of childhood favourites are one thing but this is too close to home.  :'(

Colin YNWA

I've just got back from my nerd cave. I'm lucky enough to own a piece of art, one of my very favourites, from Skreemer drawn by Brett Ewins and Steve Dillon. I got it out tonight to look at. I looked at it for some time.

It made me feel strangely happy and sad at the same time. We must learn to appreciate the talent we get to see while they are still here.

Thanks for all the things you've left me to remember you by Mr Dillon.

Hawkmumbler

Can only echo once again whats been said here and elsewhere. Dillon was a legend, a true talent, and a piller of the medium. He will, however, never be forgotten as long as we read and cherish his work. Thats the joy of comics.

Professor Bear

I am shocked and saddened by this news and wish his family the best.
From the first time I saw his Dredd in a Best of 2000ad Monthly it was the definitive version for me.  On other stories, Steve could elevate even terrible scripts into something memorable.

Frank

Quote from: Professor Bear on 22 October, 2016, 08:23:25 PM
Steve could elevate even terrible scripts into something memorable.

Dillon ranks among the very best artists to work for Tharg, but his non-Dredd work is notable for the unremarkable-to-awful nature of the material. By far his largest body of work outside Megacity One is Geller-era Rogue Trooper (42), followed by Harlem Heroes (28), and Mean Arena (19).

Whatever extent I enjoyed those strips is entirely due to Dillon's confident line and assured storytelling. It's remarkable that there isn't the equivalent of a Halo Jones or a Bad Company in there, to rival Preacher as his signature original creation.

* He drew 58 Dredds, with his best, Cry Of The Werewolf, accounting for the largest page count (7). Dillon's final Dredd arc, The Emerald Isle, is next (6), with Alabammy Blimps and Nightmares sharing the third place spot with 5 each. When it came to Dredd, Dillon only produced gold: http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=droid&page=thrills&Comic=2000AD&Field=Artist&choice=steved