Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaolin_monkey

Did you all enjoy Ed Milliband taking apart Johnson today?

Funt Solo

Coronavirus: Families 'mingling' would be breaking rule of six - home secretary - but presumably she goes on to outline how this doesn't apply to Dominic Cummings or to any Tory who decides that they need to break that rule in a very specific and limited way.

How can anyone take them seriously? Why did anyone vote for them? (Rhetorical.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Professor Bear

I'm vaguely curious how many milquetoast British panel show guests have made the joke that Johnson would be breaking the rules if he ever met all his children, but I don't want to look it up in case I accidentally see or hear Lee Hurst.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Professor Bear on 15 September, 2020, 10:37:25 PM
I'm vaguely curious how many milquetoast British panel show guests

Edited for redundancy
You may quote me on that.

shaolin_monkey

"Four senior congressmen write to Boris Johnson to reiterate there will be no US-UK trade deal if the legislation to override the EU-UK Withdrawal Agreement isn't pulled"

https://twitter.com/samcoatessky/status/1305988117036445698?s=21

Rately

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 16 September, 2020, 01:51:07 AM
"Four senior congressmen write to Boris Johnson to reiterate there will be no US-UK trade deal if the legislation to override the EU-UK Withdrawal Agreement isn't pulled"

https://twitter.com/samcoatessky/status/1305988117036445698?s=21

Rumours floating about that Johnson may resign in January. Spotted it on Twitter yesterday, and i'd usually take it with a large grain, but looking at him at moment, even more shambolic and irritable looking than normal, i wonder if there is any truth to it. This is surely another hammer blow to the fantasy he created. It must also be galling that US Congress have also reiterated that any threat to GFA, or attempted re-writing of it, will lead to no US-UK trade deal.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Rately on 16 September, 2020, 09:19:46 AM
Rumours floating about that Johnson may resign in January.

I've thought this was a likely scenario for some time now. He'll hang on until January so he can be the PM "that got Brexit done" (and also, no one will want to step into the role just in time for the no-deal shitshow). I can practically guarantee it'll be for "health reasons" — never fully recovered from Covid, fwah, fwah, for the good of the nation, fwah! Nil desperandum, quote from Shakespeare, and he'll be off to take up a few cushy directorships and a lucrative turn on the speaking circuit.

And then, God help us, it'll probably be Gove, who's Murdoch's preference.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IndigoPrime

Cue: UK govt spinning that "we always said the US trade deal would only add a small amount to GDP—we are concentrating on more lucrative deals instead".

Rately

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 16 September, 2020, 09:25:36 AM
Quote from: Rately on 16 September, 2020, 09:19:46 AM
Rumours floating about that Johnson may resign in January.

I've thought this was a likely scenario for some time now. He'll hang on until January so he can be the PM "that got Brexit done" (and also, no one will want to step into the role just in time for the no-deal shitshow). I can practically guarantee it'll be for "health reasons" — never fully recovered from Covid, fwah, fwah, for the good of the nation, fwah! Nil desperandum, quote from Shakespeare, and he'll be off to take up a few cushy directorships and a lucrative turn on the speaking circuit.

And then, God help us, it'll probably be Gove, who's Murdoch's preference.

Christ.

At least it will mean he can spend more time on what he does best - ignoring, and pretending his kids don't exist. Mind you, based on his behaviour and character, he is probably doing the kids a favour.

JamesC

Funnily enough, I was just speculating the other day that we'd probably have a Gove-ernment for 2021. I can't see him being an improvement on Boris - the only upside is that he's even disliked by the 'Gotta love Boris-lol' brigade, so it will hopefully erode the Tory majority even further. Also, it may take some power away from Cummings.

Rately

Quote from: JamesC on 16 September, 2020, 10:23:11 AM
Funnily enough, I was just speculating the other day that we'd probably have a Gove-ernment for 2021. I can't see him being an improvement on Boris - the only upside is that he's even disliked by the 'Gotta love Boris-lol' brigade, so it will hopefully erode the Tory majority even further. Also, it may take some power away from Cummings.

Surely Cummings would be forced out if Johnson resigns? From what I've read, he is detested by everyone but Johnson.

That Labour aren't miles ahead in the polls is utterly depressing. How can anyone have a favourable opinion of this Government?

JamesC

Quote from: Rately on 16 September, 2020, 10:32:18 AM

Surely Cummings would be forced out if Johnson resigns?

Let's hope so. But I have a feeling there's more going on than we know concerning that guy.

Rately

Quote from: JamesC on 16 September, 2020, 11:43:06 AM

Let's hope so. But I have a feeling there's more going on than we know concerning that guy.

Have a feeling you may be right. The power he seemingly wields, and the stuff he has got away with, its just horrendous. Noticeable that a lot of the more Tory "leaning" publications have been getting shots in on Cummings Father-In-Law. Obviously lots of backstabbing and positioning going on.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JamesC on 16 September, 2020, 11:43:06 AM

The Brexiters don't really mind being governed by unelected bureaucrats, do they?  As long as they're not foreign ones.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"