Main Menu

From Prog 1 . . .

Started by Fleetos, 11 October, 2011, 05:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grant Goggans

I've read 'em all except for issue 1208.

Pete Wells

I'm a bit like Colin, my bro got the comic from prog one and I was the annoying, shitty little brother who took the piss out of him for it (while secretly reading it of course.) When he pissed off to Uni (just as Necropolis was starting, Johnny was blinded and Chopper was fighting for his life) I had to admit I was completely addicted and had to start buying it myself!

We had 'em all from prog one but optimistically kept them I'm plastic bags I'm the garage so before long they were smelly, crinkled and binned by my ma - sob!

Fleetos

I was thinking of doing it again. Reading one a day until I catch up to the latest issue. But it would take me about 4 and a half years. . .

I'm still not up to the latest issue since i last did it..

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Fleetos on 12 October, 2011, 04:36:13 AM
I was thinking of doing it again. Reading one a day until I catch up to the latest issue. But it would take me about 4 and a half years. . .

Arh but think of the joy you'd get in those 4 1/2 years!

Large48

Yes started at one and then a copy of times over the years sold them all (the first time when I bought my first place in the late 80's) a couple of time and then had to buy everything again!

I would guess I've only really been collecting stuff properly the last 12 years or so.
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

SuperSurfer

Wish I had read them all, though I am a prog oner.

Never missed an issue until I went to live abroad around 1990 for two years. I gave my younger bro the task of buying the prog and Meg for me. He started to miss issues and then stopped altogether. I remember being stopped at customs once and my suitcase being checked. The customs guy found my list of things to pack and said "2000AD. What does that mean?" as if it was a code word or something. I said "this" and showed him my wad of 2000ADs. Seem to remember it was the Kraken 'Execution of Duty' cover on top with Kraken shooting up. Very apt.

Bulk of my collection is at my Ma's house. Christ, if I ever have the luxury of owning a house I will get my collection all in one place and work out which gaps need filling.

Dark Jimbo

I've only been reading since the early 1200s, but I've religiously read every page of every prog since then - until the last Necrophim series bored me into a state of such catatonic lethargy that I had to call it quits.

I dearly wish I could have grown up with Tooth, but when I was at optimum comic-reading age (late childhood-early teens) it was in its horrible painted-with-mud hyper-violent 90s nadir, and there was little to interest me. Flicking through an issue in the neswagents would make me feel slightly dirty and ashamed, like finding a bramble mag in the bushes.
@jamesfeistdraws

bug@lugs

my first prog was 17.wow a t-rex with three guys heads! managed to track down the many missing progs before the starlord merge. and now regularly fish out a rich seam of a few hundred progs,(stuff that hasnt been read for a few years). currently re-reading from prog 330, the first slaine stories, now in the middle of nemesis the gothic empire. ahh this stuff never gets old.
wibble!

A.Cow

Every page of every prog ... except Visible Man (too squeamish, even now) and Red Seas (which must be the most aimless story ever).

credo

Quote from: brendan1 on 11 October, 2011, 11:49:18 AM
I don't have every Prog - I would guess I'm missing maybe a hundred or so, mostly between Progs 1 and Progs 200 - but I've done a read-through and loved it.

Didn't really skip much either, apart the obvious dross:

Tyranny Rex
Revere

Brrrrrrr!

Can't say I blame you on most of that, but I think Tyranny Rex and Revere are brilliant.  Still don't understand what the help was happening in Soft Bodies though.

Read religiously from mid 500s to 900s quit and have been plowing through the trades since Rebellion started releasing their wonderful collections.  During my weekly collections I caught up with the best of the old stuff through 2000ad Monthly.  That was a great mag.

Slip de Garcon

I've got sporadic progs from 2-500, then all of them after that. I'm currently reading about two a day and am up to 1400 ish.

Pretty much concur with the list of skipped stories on page 1. Some stories make a lot more sense when read more rapidly. John Smith's stuff still doesn't, mind you.