Main Menu

From Prog 1 . . .

Started by Fleetos, 11 October, 2011, 05:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fleetos

How many guys on here have read every prog?

A few years ago I decided to read all my 2000ad's from Prog one until I caught up to the current issue. ( I didn't start collecting from the beginning but as a collector I went back and got every issue 8 years ago) Now some stories were skim read and new favourites discovered. But it was a massive undertaking and was quite a journey seeing all the changes take place over 30 years.

any one else tried such an undertaking?

W. R. Logan

I've read since Prog 1 up to about 8 weeks ago when I stopped.
Every couple of years once Winter has really set in I start from Prog 1 and read all the way through over a couple of months.
This year I'm due to start any week soon.

COMMANDO FORCES

Me, I bought my first one when I was a paper boy at Bennett's News agents, up in Hartlepool!

Mike Carroll

Me! I used to do a complete re-read every few years, but it's been a long time now since I did that, partly because it takes so long (five progs a day would take 351 days!), but mostly because it's a pain to have to keep lugging boxes out of the comic room...

- Mike

COMMANDO FORCES

SmallBlueThing

Another prog oner here, but i think you're asking if anyone has actually read each and every prog, cover to cover, yes? Sadly, im not part of that club, as there are lots of things ive skipped over the years- most recently The Red Seas goes unread here, as have great chunks of Ampney Crucis. I couldnt be bothered with Lobster Random, The Ten Seconders, much of Mercy Heights, the list goes on.

Ive even ignored much of Robo Hunter (not just the millar bits)- but that's more to do with finding Ian Gibson's art unreadable much of the time.

SBT

Colin YNWA

Yes... well kinda.

I've read them all at some point. My brother collected from Prog one when I was about 5 and so read those then. Alas those issues are long since gone and my current collection starts from issue 40. I plan to got back and get the rest in the future when the children start bringing in some cash (ha as if!).

I did a re-read, if not cover to cover I cherry picked from the first 1000 issues reading stories in one go) starting in 2008, after I filled the gaps in my Wilderness Years (1000ish - 1506) which finished last year after about two and a half years. You and read thoughts on various things there in the 'Other Reviews' section, normally added to by far wiser folk on the board.

At the moment the next things coming up to read (2000ad wise) are complete stories so I've go Sinister Dexter then Dante (after some good advice from The Cosh) Red Seas, some stuff I skipped in the earlier issues, post 950(ish) Wagner Dredds, a few other bits and bats here and there. After that I'm thinking a re-read of issues 1000 - date (less the stuff I've covered) as there's stuff there I've only read once. That however will be at least a couple of years away so we'll see how I feel then.

All that is basically saying while no I'll not do a full cover to cover re-read 2000ad is never far from my read pile!

brendan1

I don't have every Prog - I would guess I'm missing maybe a hundred or so, mostly between Progs 1 and Progs 200 - but I've done a read-through and loved it.

Didn't really skip much either, apart the obvious dross:

virtually everything Mike Fleisher wrote
Junker
Wireheads
Mother Earth
any Robo-Hunter not drawn by Ian Gibson (especially Millar's fucking hideous abortion)
anything by Shaky Kane (fucking soul Gun Assassin or whatever)
Tyranny Rex
Timehouse
Babe Race 2000
SpaceGirls
that "comedy" strip by Wagner (Balls Brothers or sommat?)
Below/ Above/ Beyond Zero
Dry Run
Chronos Carnival
Zippy Couriers
Bad City Blue
Ram Raiders
Kola Kommandoes
Bradley (apart from the Xmas strip)
Revere
Kid Cyborg
Moonrunners
Kelly's Eye
Trash
tao de Moto
The Grudgefather

Brrrrrrr!

skurvy

I've read all of them a few times. Currently doing it again and up to about 40. The first prog I bought was prog 2 and then I had to swap some Spider-man comics with a friend who lived in my street to get prog 1. I used to love swapping comics at school too, I once swapped 5 various batman and marvel annuals to get my hands on one oversize Superman vs Spider-man treasury edition.

brendan1

Also noticed that from about 2000 onwards I can't recall skipping any particular strip. Obviously I've enjoyed some more than others, but generally speaking 2000AD has been of an incredibly high quality for over a decade.

Long may it continue.

Albion

Yes, I've read them all.

I started getting 2000AD when it merged with Star Lord but I didn't read the issues before that until many years later. I've never skipped anything but there are quite a few stories I can't remember.
I am planning to re-read them all at some point.

There is a lot of Megazine stuff I haven't read as I didn't get it for about 10 years but I plan to eventually read those too. The Meg has never been anywhere near as good as the Prog for me.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

The Sherman Kid

Brendan you've covered virtually ever strip I hated enough to skip save for I think ,Captain klep and Helwigans Haricut.
I used to read through them all quite regularly however it's been a few years  now and was I actually contemplating doing it again when I read this.I would normally read at least thirty a day , and get a big satisfied grin when i reach the end.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Mike Carroll on 11 October, 2011, 07:25:50 AM
Me! I used to do a complete re-read every few years, but it's been a long time now since I did that, partly because it takes so long (five progs a day would take 351 days!), but mostly because it's a pain to have to keep lugging boxes out of the comic room...

- Mike

Shirley that's what butlers are for ??
DDT did a job on me

brendan1

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 11 October, 2011, 02:03:35 PM
Brendan you've covered virtually ever strip I hated enough to skip save for I think ,Captain klep and Helwigans Haricut.
I used to read through them all quite regularly however it's been a few years  now and was I actually contemplating doing it again when I read this.I would normally read at least thirty a day , and get a big satisfied grin when i reach the end.

Yeah, Haircut and that other horrible bryl-creamed dreadlocked white Brixton soul-boy Micky Swift - or whatver his name was - were also bollocks.

But considering how much is chucked into the weekly "meat-grinder" that is 2000AD, the amount of unalloyed brilliance that Tharg has delivered to the ever-dwindling Earthlets in his thrall is, quite frankly, fucking amazing.

It really is.

Dandontdare

I do remember reading progs 1 and 2, but I only bought it off-and-on for the first year or so, I only started buying and keeping it every week from about The Cursed Earth onwards. I've never done a big reread as they're pretty innaccessible, but last year when I did a competition for the board advent calendar, I did drag them all out to scan various images and kept getting ditsracted by rereading old stories, so the job took much longer than anticipated.

And Hewligan's Haircut was awesome! (agree with most of the rest of that list though, except Tyrrany Rex!)