Main Menu

DC comics

Started by Smith, 20 April, 2017, 07:25:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

I'd agree there's a certain amount of curiosity but mainly along the lines of 'how awful can this possibly be?'

I think Johns is absolutely terrible.

Professor Bear

Before Watchmen was neither a critical or commercial success, so this is... I have literally no idea what motivates this beyond aggrieving a certain section of fandom in the hope their ire blows up into viral marketing, which is exactly the kind of publicity trolling that DC just spent the better part of five years trying to convince us they wouldn't do again.

Still, I can understand the concept that there are Geoff Johns fans, and the concept that not everyone likes Alan Moore's work, and that there are people who didn't like Watchmen, and people who like the New 52 versions of DC characters - what I struggle with is the concept that there is a overlap in all these things where fans are going "this sounds like it will be better than Watchmen."

CalHab

Likewise, I find it hard to believe anyone has ever read an Alan Moore comic and thought "You know what, Geoff Johns could do this better".

Link Prime

Quote from: Professor Bear on 15 May, 2017, 01:22:59 PM
Before Watchmen was neither a critical or commercial success

No it wasn't (personally I really enjoyed some of the mini-series, mainly when Darwyn Cooke was involved, but thought others were terrible).

The DC Universe Rebirth one-shot and (so far) 'The Button' have been a big success for DC though, so there is an audience for this stuff (whether they be of the mildly curious variety or not).

TordelBack

I have a soft spot for the Silk Spectre series, but partly because it could have been about an entirely new character in any or none of the comics universes. Minutemen, while looking gorgeous, was just dull and a bit annoying. The rest, bleurggh.

Smith

Sad thing is,it will sell.Button sold more then Secret Empire,so DC will continue to roll like that.

positronic

You have to love the timing of this one. Coincidental with the Part 4-of-4 Flash issue missing its shipping date of last Wednesday. Well, I guess it works as a distraction from next Wednesday's issue, likely to forestall those complaints of "But this didn't really explain anything!" about the ending of The Button.

"Oh, so you say it's not really over yet?  Stay tuned for further developments, you say?"

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Link Prime on 15 May, 2017, 12:35:20 PM
I think we could cut and past half of the 'Before Watchmen' thread for Doomsday Countdown.

Yep so very very true and its started already.

DC will probably sell a shed load of comics off the back of this. Or not and move onto the next thing.

The Adventurer

If I do not get a fucking Legion of Super-Heroes title out of this shit, I'm going to be pissed.

Well, more so then I already am.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Smith

There were some teasers conserning LoSH;so it will happen.Sometimes in the future.
If anything can be said about post-Rebirth DC,its that they are playing the long game.

positronic

Did someone mention the Legion of Super-Heroes? Oh, that's happening.

The Adventurer

Oh yeah, Batman 66/Legion by Mike Allred is going to be amazing.

Just a one-shot unfortunately.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

positronic

July 26 is going to be a good day for Mike Allred fans, with both Batman '66 Meets the Legion of Super-Heroes and Doom Patrol #7.

Professor Bear

I joked that DC had better chop one of Lois Lane's legs off or something just to offset how fun those those books look, clearly forgetting what company we were talking about here.
SPOILER: don't buy any Superman comics this week.

Smith

You had to give them ideas...
The cool part,[spoiler]Manchester Black[/spoiler] is back.Im probably the only one who cares,thou.