Main Menu

Game of Thrones: the last series [SPOILERS]

Started by sheridan, 15 April, 2019, 11:09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

I went and read up about flaming arrows (what you see in shows) and fire arrows (bombs tied to arrows, basically).

Of note is that it's difficult to do a flaming arrow without it going out in mid air. 
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 26 May, 2019, 08:07:57 PM
Some Loose talk on a Reddit in 2012:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/10ze0u/in_movies_archers_are_always_given_the_order_to/

Well spotted!  Can't say I've heard 'nock' before.  Also I'm going with the tribal memory of weaponised dragons as an explanation for GoT (even though Richard's one is clearly the correct one).
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Eamonn Clarke

I'm pretty sure we hear the Nock command on the battlements in the Battle of Winterfell, and on top of the wall in the Watchers on the Wall episode (I watched it recently).

Jim_Campbell

The correct set of commands to direct archers is: ARRERS! STRETCH... wait for it... wait for it... TWANG!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Richard

Based on that audition, Jim Campbell should re-write the entire 8th series of GoT by himself.

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 26 May, 2019, 01:48:08 PM
Double negatives must be a no-no* in Westerosi too then.

*See what I did there.

Yeah, yeah.  ;)

Hawkmumbler

Didn't the Nights Watch during Watchers on the Wall respond to the commands 'Notch' and 'Loose'?

sheridan

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 27 May, 2019, 03:16:42 PM
Didn't the Nights Watch during Watchers on the Wall respond to the commands 'Notch' and 'Loose'?

Which makes it all the more anachronistic that they should use the command "fire" later...

Funt Solo

Highly amusing Air New Zealand message to George R.R. Martin - he responds by (sort of) promising he'll finish the next ASOIAF book by Summer 2020.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Keef Monkey

We started a rewatch from season 1 the other night (it'll be something we'll slowly chip away at so I expect we'll get to the end in a couple of years!) and it's weird to see how young everyone is.

It also makes at least some of the criticisms people had about the writing and pacing in later seasons feel a tiny bit like rose tinted glasses. One example that jumped out is that there's literally a scene where a journey from Kings Landing to Winterfell happens in no time at all, they just cut forward in time. It's funny because nobody cared at the time and later seasons got a total kicking for it. Right from the beginning they only really drew out those journeys when the journeys themselves were the story.

In any case, it feels quite exciting to be watching it all again, knowing there's so much good stuff to revisit.

radiator

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 29 May, 2019, 05:39:39 PM
We started a rewatch from season 1 the other night (it'll be something we'll slowly chip away at so I expect we'll get to the end in a couple of years!) and it's weird to see how young everyone is.

It also makes at least some of the criticisms people had about the writing and pacing in later seasons feel a tiny bit like rose tinted glasses. One example that jumped out is that there's literally a scene where a journey from Kings Landing to Winterfell happens in no time at all, they just cut forward in time. It's funny because nobody cared at the time and later seasons got a total kicking for it. Right from the beginning they only really drew out those journeys when the journeys themselves were the story.

In any case, it feels quite exciting to be watching it all again, knowing there's so much good stuff to revisit.

I think that the early seasons actually cared about conveying the passing of time though, eg in the first episode they show the growth of the direwolves to communicate that many weeks or even months have passed from one scene to the next. I think the point in later seasons where people really started to knock the series for 'teleporting' characters and travel distances was that completely ludicrous episode where Gendry runs back to the wall, sends a raven to Danaerys (who is supposed to be 2/3 of a continent away), who then flies up far beyond the wall to find our gang still hanging out on the frozen lake apparently within 24 hours of Gendry leaving.

Also, its by the by, but I'm pretty sure that the scene in the first episode in King's Landing with Jaime and Cersei you're referring to was a very late addition that they had to put in because test audiences didn't understand that Jaime and Cersei were brother and sister. It wasn't originally written that way AFAIK.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 29 May, 2019, 05:39:39 PM

Really have to do this too.  I didn't jump on board for a couple of seasons, and was only really catching up when the Red Wedding came around. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Smith

I think this will end up sort of like Fullmetal Alchemist.Once the final book is done,we will get a more faithful adaptation and this will just be remembered as weird fanfiction.