Main Menu

another strange question

Started by GordonR, 11 September, 2002, 04:53:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GordonR

Since I can't be bothered digging through boxes of mouldering, out-of-sequence back progs, can anyone with an Apocalypse War collection handy tell me what (if any) sound effect STUB GUNS make when they're fired?

El Spurioso

Just been looking through my GN....

The Sov battledroids go 'zzat', the air-to-ground fireballs go 'kkblam!' but the stub guns appear to make no noise at all...

Well, I say that - they chop the road in half and as it's being cut it goes 'disszzzz!', then when the guns overload they go 'kabooom', but they're definitely silent-firing.

I cannot *believe* how seriously I took all of that...

GordonR

Sound effects are a very serious business, young padawan.  Do not believe the current fashionable 'sound effects are silly and we shouldn't use them' nonsense we hear from some people.*

Rejoice at the thought of the long hours you will spend trying to work out the EXACT collection of letters to best describe the sound of a human face being smashed through a wooden door.

Or, alternatively, you could just steal the best sound effects from Doug Moench stories, like everyone else does.

*Yes, sound effects are silly, but stories about people with super-powers destroying cities in giant battles every month are apparently deadly serious?

sigu

Sound effects are only silly when they're in rainbow technicolour over black and white artwork.

Or when they're subbed into an atmospheric horror strip where the author didn't want them.

SiG

paulvonscott

In Shanty Town which followed the Apoc War, a stub gun goes "FFIZZZ!"  and ".FIZZZ.ZZZ!" when it overheats and explodes.

Basic Wepons Training, can't beat it.

Oddboy

D'yer reckon the Tek-Judges have managed to overcome the design flaw in stub guns that causes them to blow up killing their user over the last two decades?
Better set your phaser to stun.

paulvonscott

2000AD Online

Ah yes, but what about the sound a stub gun makes when its slicing through something like as if it was raw munce? I think you'll find it's more a 'DSSZZZZ' followed by a 'FWAAMM!'.

Smiley

Prog 1304 - The WHANKKK! sound effect makes a glorious comeback on the end of Wulf's 'Happy Stick'.

Beware, though. Only a writer of John Wagner's skill and stature can pull off a WHANKKK! in the faces of so many readers and get away with it.

El Spurioso

How can I ajudge expect to be taken seriously by creeps and perps if he's carrying a gun that goes "fffiiizzz" when he shoots it?  He might as well carry-about a soda-stream and offer them all carbonated lime-juice.

GordonR

When the energy beam from the gun cuts through ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING it hits, and just keeps on going, I'm sure the perps would soon sit up and show due respect.

Tu-plang

My fave was "WHAANNKA!" in one of the recent PJ Maybe stories a few years ago, when PJ whacked his shrink on the head.  How a swift punch to the head sounds like that we can but guess.  And imagine.

petehall

Im sure that a common sound effect when a stubbie cuts through everything would be

Oh shhiiiitte!!!!

just a thought

W. R. Logan

> Since I can't be bothered digging through boxes of mouldering, out-of-sequence back progs, can anyone with an Apocalypse War collection handy tell me what (if any) sound effect STUB GUNS make when they're fired?

They're silent.

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

Link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/theclassof79" target="_blank">Class Of '79 Yahoo Group

http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/2000ad/mediumres/256.jpg">

roystead

They make a kind of a "sschluupp" sound.

Probably.

Roy