Main Menu

Kiss My Axe! now available from Amazon

Started by rogue69, 13 October, 2021, 06:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogue69

The digital version of Pat Mills' KISS MY AXE!: SLAINE THE WARPED WARRIOR: THE SECRET HISTORY is now available on Amazon for £4.99

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KISS-MY-AXE-WARRIOR-HISTORY-ebook/dp/B09J9ZZJ7Z

Leigh S

There's a good chunk of it in the preview, which I read last night.  I'll definitely be getting the print version, but Pat's habit of assigning ulterior motives to actions remains as wearing as ever.  I could just as easily say Pat only wound up Slaine in the progs to give publicity to this book - that's nonsense of course, but you do get a lot of similar "supposition as fact" in the preview:

The other artists stonewalled Pat and Angie because they were jealous.  Maybe that's true - Maybe the silence from other creators with regards Angie's art was because they just didn't think to comment, or they were being polite?  I'm not sure they owed them their praise? In a pre-internet age, where would they have expressed theit admiration?

The only real place to expect feedback is McManus and Smith (Robin), which the preview cuts off before we get to, so I'll be interested in what the beef was with Smith in particular, with the required pinch of salt given previous recollections in "Be Pure" were chronologically as sound as the ABC Warriors Timeline.

I've always been interested in why Angie didnt do more than that first story - it looks like it was a long process - could she not achieve that quality of art week in week out?   Was he not given the opportunity to try?  Was she dispirited by the wall of silence Pat refers to? 

It's a shame she didnt, because for a first attempt at comics, it's very impressive - as Pat rightly points out, the character design work is especially strong, not only on Slaine and Ukko, but the skull swords and the world in general.

The other conspiracy Pat sees is the "comic snobs" gate keeping typified by Nick Landau's bigging up of certain "comic book" style artists over "illustrative" artists like Angie.  There's some truth to that, though naming Carlos as one of those favoured Comic book style artists undermines his argument when I look at the most egregious gap in the Titan books on my shelf - what I would have given for a full Ezquerra Strontium Dog run of Titan books.

At the end of the day, Landau didnt owe 2000AD creators "equal treatment" - it was his company, he printed the stuff he liked.  That was probably to his own detriment, sure.  At most that was infortunate for all concerned, including Landau himself, but I don't see any grand Conspiracy behind it. 

Just as in his comics, Pat knows who to entertain and infuriate in equal measure!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Leigh S on 14 October, 2021, 08:55:17 AM
I've always been interested in why Angie didnt do more than that first story - it looks like it was a long process - could she not achieve that quality of art week in week out?   Was he not given the opportunity to try?  Was she dispirited by the wall of silence Pat refers to? 

Can't remember where I read it, but I heard that it simply took her too long - she was a bit burnt out by the time she'd finished, so had little enthusiasm for more. I imagine that would have made editorial rightly nervous about commissioning more from her, anyway.
@jamesfeistdraws

Leigh S

Yeah that seems to me to be the crux of it, which is no ones fault.  Pat seems to be saying that part of that burn out was the sour taste of the "passive aggressive" silence, but admits at least that he was also putting her sunconsciously or not under a lot of pressure to deliver.

Angie made an indelible mark with that first story, it's true, and I suspect much of that would ahve been unbeknownst to even McManus and Smith, as it was all happening in the Mills household over a period of months and years - all we got to see was 6 or so pages of impressive art.  If it was then left to other artists such as McMahon and Bisley to run with the ball, that isnt their "fault".  It wasn;t as if the ball was forceably taken away?

Imagine if Carlos hadnt drawn another comic strip after creating Dredd, let alone another episode of Dredd itself - how much credit would he get for creating the strip? 

AS I type this a veery over priced copy of Brutania Chronicles vol 1 has just arrived from eBay, so I can finally have a reread of all those hatdbacks from Book of Invasions through to Dragontamer.. spraks the quetion a to whether Angie was asked back to do anything for the Book of Scars?

rogue69

The print version is now available to pre order on getmycomics.com (release date November 27th 2021) for £ 11.99 +£2P+Por the signed edition for £14.99 +£2 P+P

davidbishop

Quote from: rogue69 on 20 October, 2021, 08:23:20 PM
The print version is now available to pre order on getmycomics.com (release date November 27th 2021) for £ 11.99 +£2P+Por the signed edition for £14.99 +£2 P+P

Just received Roger Langridge's new book, ordered direct from his Hotel Fred website. Hardback was £15 plus P+P. Signed hardback? £15 plus P+P - and a sketch inside too.

rogue69

Tomwe

Woolly

Quote from: davidbishop on 20 October, 2021, 10:39:50 PM
Quote from: rogue69 on 20 October, 2021, 08:23:20 PM

Just received Roger Langridge's new book, ordered direct from his Hotel Fred website. Hardback was £15 plus P+P. Signed hardback? £15 plus P+P - and a sketch inside too.

You were lucky! When I read it, it was £5.99 just to read it digitally through a rolled-up newspaper...

Has to be said though, he's really not a fan of yours is he?!?  :o

davidbishop

If you mean Patrick Mills, he co-created some great characters and wrote some great stories...

...decades ago.

Give me a new John Wagner script any day.

Funt Solo

Fuck's sake! Tuesday is Mills bashing day!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Corinthian