Main Menu

Sideshow Vote: This is not a blast from the past

Started by broodblik, 04 May, 2022, 04:42:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Magnetica on 09 May, 2022, 07:14:39 AM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 08 May, 2022, 09:03:13 PM
Really tough this one, I'm trying to keep it to the stories specifically in the Regenes as the ones that have broken out have an unfair advantage if not. So on that basis:

Pandora Perfect
Mayflies
Department K

Splorers deserves a place and Chopper would have gone one if the latest story there wasn't so much weaker than the first. There are loads of others well worth a mention too.

Not sure I understand:

" I'm trying to keep it to the stories specifically in the Regenes as the ones that have broken out have an unfair advantage if not"

as you have voted for Pandora Perfect and Dept K, both of which have transferred to the main Prog.

Yeah so I'm voting purely on the basis of the PP and DK stories that appeared in the Regened issues, rather than the runs in the Prog. Pandora Perfect's two stories in the Regenes have still be the highlight of those specials for me. Does that make sense?

IndigoPrime

Purely on Regened, I'd say:

- Pandora Perfect: which was, well, perfect (almost). Funny. Smart. Interesting. Not male. This was a wonderful surprise.
- Enemy Earth: a great set-up, but with enough that made it a solid single-parter, and with the kind of black humour from 2000 AD's early days that's too often missing in Regened.
- Department K: another great set-up, although what I liked about it was then mostly discarded in the Prog itself, to – IMO – its detriment. Still, we're talking about what's in Regened only, so...

HMs to Full Tilt Boogie and Splorers, which really came into their own in the Prog, along with Future Shocks, which are broadly very solid in Regened. I did also enjoy the early Johnny Alpha strip where he was being tested – one of the few Muppet Babies reworks to actually, you know, work.

Magnetica

AlexF

Totally ignoring any stories that went on to appear in the main Prog, I'm voting:

1) Finder & Keeper
2) The Unteachables
3) Future Shocks - I like the way these tend to be weird, rather than trying to pander to some idea of what kids these days are into. If there's one thing 2000AD can offer to all ages that Pheonix and Beano can't, it's Sci-Fi weirdness.

broodblik

Here is mine:

1. Mayflies
2. Pandora
3. Splorers
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

A good balanced choices but again no real support for the classic stories - which I believe has been the regen progs weakest parts. The winner had a clear advantage as well and no surprise she got her own series in the regular prog. Another surprise was that Lowborn High got the same votes as Department K just shows you.

Voting close:

1. Pandora
2. Full Tilt Boogie and Splorers
4. Mayflies
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.