Main Menu

Forum’s Fav Thrill - Fall of Deadworld vs. Skizz Rd 3 Heat 56

Started by Colin YNWA, 23 June, 2022, 05:49:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Round 3 heads towards its conclusion and things aren't getting any easier. It's time to start thinking about how hard Round 4 is gonna be cos lets face it as we near having just 64 thrills left we know they are all (well almost all) gonna be beauties and the tough ties we see this week will be the regular head scratchers in a couple of weeks time. Arh remember how easy Round 2 was!

This is the tough tie to end the week... or is it. I love Fall of Deadworld, but even confusathon 'Fervant and Lobe' was able to draw votes off it last round, though the result was clear. So it goes for FoD which does divide opinion. Skizz on the other hand is The Wizard of Northampton's finest work in 2000ad (come on, come on all you Halo Jones fan - I mean I love Halo Jones but Skizz is SOOOOOoooo good) and I enjoy the Baike stuff that followed. So while it might seem a tough tie will it actually be very one sided?

Fall of Deadworld - more info

Vs

Skizz - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Sunday 26th June and the winner gets a place in Round 4 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN

Funt Solo

Skizz (but only the first series).

I enjoy the hell out of Deadworld and its Fall, but Skizz is more clearly told.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

broodblik

My vote goes to Fall of Deadworld. The problem with Skizz was not the first book but the books that followed and not due to art (Baikie as always is superb). Skizz originally was "ET phone home" story that work as an alone standing series whereas the sequels never felt coherent.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Rogue Judge

Skizz. Book 1 is obviously the best, I don't care for book 2 at all, but book 3 has some redeeming qualities.

Huey2

Magnetica

Aaron A Aardvark

If it was Book I only, Skizz all the way but...

Deadworld

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 23 June, 2022, 06:45:40 AM
Skizz. Book 1 is obviously the best, I don't care for book 2 at all, but book 3 has some redeeming qualities.

Even Book 2* has the redeeming quality of GLORIOUS Jim Baikie art... mind the art on Fall of ain't bad either is it!

*I actually quite like Book 2 as it goes.

rogue69

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

AlexF

I mean, SkIIzz and especially SkIIIzz are the limiting factors here. I struggle to recall any redeeming features from Book III, except perhaps that robot in the car who spoke in thick Brummie dialogue, that gave me some laughs.

Book II I like well enough but not as much as any of Deadworld, really, which is just so brutal and beautiful. But does any of that match up to the glory of Skizz book I?
For me, not quite - but if Skizz has to fall, it's not unreasonable to fall here.

Anyway, Skizz.

abelardsnazz

Huey2

IndigoPrime

Oddly, both strips for me have the same problem. The both start in a blaze of glory. "It began with the bees." Shudder. Skizz got lost once Moore went. II was OK, but III was terrible. Deadworld got tied up in its Elseworlds aspirations, too often bringing in things that didn't really do a lot for me (like the Sovs). But the shorts still work wonderfully, and the ongoing narrative is... quite good. Also, on re-reading Skizz recently, that first strip isn't quite as magical for me as I imagine it is for others. It's good, but not amazing, and the cardboard South African villain was a bit... well.

So I'm going for Fall of Deadworld, not that it has the slightest chance of winning this match.