Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Quote from: Satanist on 13 February, 2015, 12:39:12 PM
I think I'm getting the hang of it now that Ive unlocked some equipment and powers though and really enjoy something I can stick on for 15 mins at a time (and die 20 times in the process).
Sounds good.

I've started playing Geometry Wars and it's really annoying in an utterly addictive way.
We never really die.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: pictsy on 13 February, 2015, 12:26:31 PM
I've played a few games recently.  Tried World of Warcraft early this year after my partner insisted I give it a go.  It's a reasonably fun game and I can see why it's been so popular but it's not short of problems.

Papers Please was given to me as a Christmas present and this game is awesome.  Playing a game that is based around a repetitive bureaucratic task has never been more engaging and challenging.

Super Meat Boy is pretty well constructed but failed to blow my mind as the hype around it would suggest.

LIMBO did manage to impress me.  A simple, dark and macabre puzzle platform game, this is amazing fun at a nice pace.  Reminded me a little of Heart of Darkness and Abe's Odyssey.

English Country Music is pure puzzle game with a nice and simple presentation.  For what it is, it's good.

Best thing about playing these games is that aside from WoW I played them all on my Linux machine - which is better optimised for gaming than my laptop anyway. Really glad to see more games being made available to Linux.

I have all those games below WOW, (I have been playing Elder Scrolls Online when I can afford the subscription fee and the hard-drive space!)

Not sure about Limbo and Super-Meat-Boy, but I thought Papers Please was charming and retro for the short time I played it. I just looked, I don't appear to have any of those games except....

Papers Please....

At forty-one mega-bytes, not much HD space needed for that one.

BTW, I just found out my personal Drive Thru RPG libary has been cleaned out!.

Luckily I have managed with the help of my father to retain a lot of stuff the last couple of computers I used and still have the PDF's for all my Slaine RPG downloads.

pictsy

I made a mistake.  It is English Country Tune not English Country Music.

CheechFU

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 13 February, 2015, 09:56:47 AM
Quote from: CheechFU on 12 February, 2015, 11:36:45 PM
I've been playing Shadow of Mordor and by playing I mean repeatedly stalked by Kuga the Mad who just shouts PICKLES at me and then body slams me into the next life.
If it wasn't so funny I would snap my controller in half

The name [n]Kuga the Mad[/b] means nothing in your game, because in each different players game, the Uruk's names are randomly generated.

I always wondered what randomly generated meant, thanks for clearing that up  ::)

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: pictsy on 13 February, 2015, 04:45:32 PM
I made a mistake.  It is English Country Tune not English Country Music.

That was the other game I had purchased earlier, but never got far into, because I think they needed you to create a account or something like that. It did look interesting...something like music making puzzle game.

I might try reinstalling it.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: CheechFU on 14 February, 2015, 12:10:33 AM
I've been playing Shadow of Mordor and by playing I mean repeatedly stalked by Kuga the Mad who just shouts PICKLES at me and then body slams me into the next life.

The name [n]Kuga the Mad[/b] means nothing in your game, because in each different players game, the Uruk's names are randomly generated.

I always wondered what randomly generated meant, thanks for clearing that up  ::)

For want of better way of saying it. I think they used the words Procedurally-Generated, but that didn't seem right to me when saying the names were randomally generated differently for each different game.

CheechFU

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 14 February, 2015, 02:02:34 AM
Quote from: CheechFU on 14 February, 2015, 12:10:33 AM

For want of better way of saying it. I think they used the words Procedurally-Generated, but that didn't seem right to me when saying the names were randomally generated differently for each different game.
Do they not have sarcasm in Austria?

Speaking of geography jokes a friend of mine wanted to ship a gift from the U.S to another friend in Austria and stupidly put the country down as AU so his stupid T-Shirt took a 10,000 mile detour.

wedgeski

Finally finished Alien: Isolation, about 30 hours in as reported on Steam. A massive, massive game....slightly too big, in fact. Took a few years off my life I'm sure, but pretty stunning all told. Now, time to let my blood pressure settle for a few weeks before trying the DLC.

James Stacey

Playing Last of Us at the moment which is very enjoyable. Most of the games I tend to play at the moment are sandbox / openworld so the linear aspect is actually quite appealing. Not sure if they are but some of the comics you collect as you go about your business look very much like they were drawn by Mr Holden.

Keef Monkey

Finished a revisit of Condemned at the weekend there. It was THE 360 launch title for me, the first game I got and the one that stuck with me and in my opinion one of the most successfully scary horror games ever made. Played it through a bunch of times back in the day (and got the full 970 gamerpoints, can only imagine a 30g achievement was buggy so they scrapped it at the last minute and Microsoft let them away with it) and with the recent buzz about the rights for a 3rd game kicking about I went back for another playthrough.

Holds up impressively well, the graphics obviously date it but the atmosphere doesn't suffer at all. Hearing thumps and yelps from other rooms as you're moving around with your torch on still filled me with dread and it still got some involuntary shrieks out of me when it took me by surprise. Also one of the only games to have satisfying first person melee combat, and the detective angle still feels very cool.

Brilliant game, still a stone-cold classic. Will be moving straight onto another Condemned 2 playthrough!

Tiplodocus

This talk of new 3DS (they look lush - if only I hadn't made a New Year's Resolution to not buy any gadgets this year!) had me dusting off my copy of RESIDENT EVIL REVEALATIONS on which I got stuck at the first big boss (the comms officer - only about 3 hrs in).

I still couldn't beat the fekker so I've restarted the game hoping to have lots mor egrenades and shotguns by the time I meet him again.

It's still great fun; very atmospheric, lovely sounds and environment design but with truly terrible dialogue. "Me and my sweet ass are on the way!", indeed.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

I, Cosh

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 16 February, 2015, 12:12:06 PM
It's still great fun; very atmospheric, lovely sounds and environment design but with truly terrible dialogue. "Me and my sweet ass are on the way!", indeed.
You're our Amazon, Jill.
We never really die.

Satanist

Resi just isnt Resi without the shit-speak. Playing through the HD re-remake its nice that they update the utterly dire original chat to some just-a-bit shit chat.

Well I'm still hanging in with Rogue Legacy and can confirm that I now survive a whole 30 mins. Beat the 1st and 2nd boss at the weekend and am gearing up to take out the 3rd. It explains nowt at the start so now Ive worked out how armour and skills work it should be a breeze  ;)
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

shaolin_monkey

Evolve.

Damn this game - it's definitely a gamers game.  Not for the casual gamer or those of an impatient disposition.  Levelling up is hard, making work hard to do stuff you might not be naturally adept at.  For example, I play a support/healing class which unfortunately comes with a sniper rifle.  I'm a kind of 'say it by spraying it' kinda guy when it comes to weapons, as I can't hit a bloody barn door half the time.  Polishing my aim has meant delaying my character level by a considerable margin.

Anyway, to sum this game up, you're essentially fighting the same three bosses over and over on different maps, alongside three other player controlled hunters.  The boss is usually player controlled too.

The goliath is easy, being basically a lumbering rancor.  The Kraken is a bit trickier - faster on the feet, less armour, stronger attacks.  The wraith is just bloody deadly - it can whip players out of the battle and chuck them to another part of the map, do surprise strealth attacks, and is so fast it's hard to get any kind of bead on it.

Besides this, the environment you're chasing the giant beasts through is hostile.  Giant venus flytraps, trapdoor toads, and monkey lizard things are everywhere, and be careful if you cross a river - there's usually a big dino thing lurking in the shallows somewhere.

Team work is essential - if you go running off on your own you are S-C-R-E-W-E-D. 

An often frustrating game, but when you take down a beast it is immensely satisfying.  My kids came downstairs one night to complain I'd woken them up with my cheering, after me and my squad took down a wraith for the first time.

Keef Monkey

I am loving the game, but the last few matches we've played have all been Wraiths (they seem to be becoming the popular choice, probably because they're so tough to bring down) and can't say I enjoy dealing with those at all. Just can't get the knack for them, every one of their powers seems cheap and it just doesn't feel balanced at all.

We could be doing it wrong, but we were really enjoying the Evacuation mode, but when every one of those 5 matches are Wraith-based it just becomes a pummeling and I can't find the fun in it.

Have a great time hunting Goliaths and Krakens though, the Kraken seems a nice balanced challenge - it can fly which adds an extra concern, but it doesn't do any of that cloaky hit and run insta-kill nonsense the Wraith gets up to.