Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThryllSeekyr

When I have been playing around with Face-Rig, and Blender (I can now make a sort of cup!).

I've still been playing a lot of This War of Mine....just imagine it's gothics Barbies play house.

While pretty sure this game would work better with a cannibalism. I have sneaking suspicion that it's already in the game, but used subtly. It's just buried under what ever pass's for pretending to be civilised in this game is. Aside form this it's addictive in it's charming art style and very depressing if played for too long.

The game developers might want to make a expansion for this game where colour is added to the palette when things start to improve, this can of course, be taken away again if things start to slide again. The music should also reflect the current mood of the game as well. They should pick up the place.

Now, I trying to remember another game where they had the a similar idea with colour being used to show where the player had succeeded or finished with a area. It was in second person perspective and the avatar had a Irish accent. That's All I know about this game. Can anybody remember it?

I also reinstalled Sunless Sea after hearing the Good-Game review for it.

Here' is the short description on the Steam store page....

Quote from: STEAMLOSE YOUR MIND. EAT YOUR CREW. DIE. Take the helm of your steamship and set sail for the unknown! Sunless Sea is a game of discovery, loneliness and frequent death, set in the award-winning Victorian Gothic universe of Fallen London.

Here is the longer one....

Quote from: STEAMAbout This Game
LOSE YOUR MIND. EAT YOUR CREW. DIE.

Take the helm of your steamship and set sail for the unknown! Sunless Sea is a game of discovery, loneliness and frequent death, set in the award-winning Victorian Gothic universe of Fallen London.

If the giant crabs, sentient icebergs and swarms of bats don't get you, madness and cannibalism certainly will. But that old black ocean beckons, and there's loot for the brave souls who dare to sail her.

Betray your crew, sell your soul to a Devil, marry your sweetheart. Survive long enough and you'll achieve your life's ambition.

You will die, but your legacy will live on...
Key features
A deep, compelling world packed with 200,000+ words of stories and secrets. Find your father's bones. Determine London's destiny. Defy the gods of the deep sea.
Beautiful, hand drawn art - castles of sparkling ice, prisons perched on lily pads, fog-shrouded lighthouses and the DAWN MACHINE.
Your captain will die. But you can pass on resources from one generation to the next. Acquire a family home and a hoard of heirlooms. Build up your own story across generations of zailors who braved the sea and lost - or won...
Real-time combat against ships and Zee-beasts, spider-crewed dreadnoughts and sentient icebergs.
Light and dark, terror and madness: stray too far from the gas-lamps of civilisation and your crew will grow fearful and eventually lose their sanity.
Upgrade your steamship with powerful engines, cannons and pneumatic torpedo guns. (Or buy a bigger, better ship.)
Hire unique officers like the Haunted Doctor and the Irrepressible Cannoneer. Each has a story to tell, if you can draw it out of them.
Choose a ship's mascot: the Comatose Ferret,(You start with him as the ships pet!)  the Wretched Mog,'(I swapped the ferret for this one because he reminded me of myself!)  the Elegiac Cockatoo, and more!
Trade or smuggle silk and souls, mushroom wine and hallucinogenic honey.

Since the game has been fully distributed on the second of Feb. The background story has changed in that Victorian London had sunk below ground (Because of something to do with lots of Bats??????) and there is this vast and dreary underground ocean. This and the essential cannibalism makes this game a potential winder and spent the last night losing three boats before retiring for the day.

Did I mention canabalism?

Keef Monkey

Finished a revisit of Condemned 2 last night. I remember really enjoying this when it came out, after being a huge fan of the first one. Going back to them now though, while the first one still holds up brilliantly the sequel hasn't aged quite so well, not at all.

Switching straight from 1 to 2 the huge change in the character designs seems even more ridiculous, and losing the everyman appeal of Rosa and Ethan loses a bit of charm with it. The visuals look nice when static, but there's a horrible smearing applied to everything in motion which at times makes the thing borderline unplayable. No idea why it didn't bother me at the time, maybe being such a huge fan of the first game I had the hype blinkers on a bit for it. It's nasty though.

The soundtrack is cool, and the gore and melee combat is still bone crunchingly satisfying, although the more gamey elements (combo counters and slow mo moves) make it feel a bit less grimy so it's another case of two steps forward and one step back. One area it improves brilliantly is the approach to the detective elements, looking at evidence and deciding what's important and answering questions on what you've seen is a great progression of the first game's mechanics.

Overall it's not as scary but the standout moments still stir the terror of old (I remember the abandoned police station level putting the fear of god into me during a late night session, and it's still pretty creepy). Main problem (smeary visuals aside) is the story, how mad it goes towards the end (should never have gone full sci-fi) and how disjointed and scattershot the levels seem. The first half of the game is great but for the latter chunk you're just sort of jumping between places with little cohesion, there isn't that satisfying through-line of the first game where you always felt you were on the trail of a killer and getting closer with every level. Found myself confused about what to do a few times too which is never good (especially as I've played through the game a few times in the past).

Didn't mean to type so much about it but I guess it's a series I hold dear so my feelings are a bit complicated about this one! Condemned 3 is looking possible now so hopefully it'll get back to the roots of the first game when it does appear.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Satanist on 16 February, 2015, 01:10:33 PM
Well I'm still hanging in with Rogue Legacy and can confirm that I now survive a whole 30 mins. Beat the 1st and 2nd boss at the weekend and am gearing up to take out the 3rd. It explains nowt at the start so now Ive worked out how armour and skills work it should be a breeze  ;)
Not sure what is that's wrong in my brain that makes me think: "Oh, another game that Satanist says is really hard and annoying. I better buy that then, eh?"

Can manage 5 minutes or so at best. Haven't managed to beat any of the bosses yet. Can easily spend three hours playing about fifty times.

I also started playing Fallout 3 about a week or so ago and I'm really enjoying it. Quite slow paced at first but very atmospheric. For some reason, the vibe of exploring burnt out towns and abandoned power stations appeals a lot more than the fantasy equivalent and spending a whole Sunday travelling back and forth with burned books and rusty tin cans seems almost therapeutic.

I'm already realising that I could've built myself up a lot more easily at the start by properly clearing out the first town you find  and there are clearly more than enough choices for a few different playthroughs.
We never really die.

Satanist

Well I've beaten the final boss on Rogue Legacy so na-na-nana-na!

Started on New game plus which is the actual Hard mode  :o WTF is wrong with me?

Started Valiant Hearts last night which has very simple puzzles and gameplay but lovely comic book graphics and well told story. Much more relaxing, though its set during WW1 so I dont anticipate a happy ending for all the characters.

Really I'm just playing lots of wee indie titles this month while I bide my time for Bloodborne. Now theres a game I suspect will really fuck me up!

Oh and I meant to add that Fallout 3 is one of my top ten games of all time. Not the best graphics/story/gameplay but it all adds up to a superb experience and Ive got my fingers crossed for a Fallout 4 announcement at this years E3.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

ThryllSeekyr

Brought/played Space Hulk Ascension from Steam.....

It's definitely a improvement over the original back in early August 2013.

Just don't like those parts where they are forced to deploy together in the one corridor where there is one room from one at a time.

Definitely worth a look!

Tiplodocus

If you don't already have a nintendo 3ds (and why not, it's a fantastic console) then can I refer you to ARGOS who currently have an awesome deal on.

A NEW 3DS plus choose 3 games from six for £149.99

3d games in the six are a Professor Layton, Resident Evil Mercenaries, Street Fighter, and Dead or Alive. 2d games in the six are a Professor Layton and something called Rooms.

They are also flogging Monster Hunter 4 for a couple of quid less than most other places I have seen.

That's Tiny Tips birthday sorted (plus I have a cashback card which works at ARgos so that is effectively another tenner off)
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

radiator

That's a great deal alright.

Keef Monkey

Me and a friend spent two afternoons this weekend playing Zombie Army Trilogy and having a great time. Not sure how much fun it would be on your own (I remember playing the first game on PC on my lonesome when it came out and finding it a bit of a slog) but with a buddy it's brilliant. Really tense, lots of shouting and spotting and planning and laying traps and then freaking out when one of the special zombies appears and everything goes to hell.

Midway through the second campaign and loving it!

Satanist

Having a break from Rogue Legacy now that Ive realised there is no end to that game (still loving it though)...

Hotline Miami 2 - Not played much but due to larger levels it seems harder than the first.

Also got the DLC for The Evil Within (my fave game of last year) but aint tried that yet.

I do have the day off work on Friday though with no plans and the kids at school, hmm!
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Goaty

OOh finally get Alien: Isolation, just £10.69 on Humble Bundle!

IAMTHESYSTEM

Rage: Quite good but you have to do races etc to upgrade stuff. Bit annoying and very linear despite the RPG gag. Still looks lovely and plays pretty good but the key board layout of essential items is F1,F2,F3,F4 is not that handy in a gunfight/carfight.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Zenith 666

Isolation has been kicking my ass.three times now I've been killed in ways that have caused me to drop the pad in fear.im too afraid to move at times.Atmosphere is incredible and surround sound is a must.

Keef Monkey

That's us finished Zombie Army 2 campaign and moved onto 3. Straight away it's nice to see some new systems and looks like they've thrown a whole load of quirky ideas at this one, lots of fun easter eggs just in the first chapter.

Started Hotline Miami 2 last night and man that thing is hard. So was HM1 though, so I know perseverance will be the key and it's pretty exhilarating to clear a floor. Soundtrack is phenomenal, apparently my vinyl collection is out for delivery today so very glad I ordered that given how cool the music sounds so far.

shaolin_monkey

I finally stopped those damn Yanks blowing up the moon in Counterspy. Fun game! Anyone remember Mission Impossible on C64? It's basically much better than that.

radiator

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 16 March, 2015, 09:20:01 AM
Started Hotline Miami 2 last night and man that thing is hard. So was HM1 though, so I know perseverance will be the key and it's pretty exhilarating to clear a floor. Soundtrack is phenomenal, apparently my vinyl collection is out for delivery today so very glad I ordered that given how cool the music sounds so far.

Only played a couple of hours but it definitely seems a lot harder than the original, mainly in that levels are much longer - I've had many times where I've battled my way through a whole level only for the very last guy to get em. I guess if it were too easy then anyone who'd played the first game would just burn through it.