Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zenith 666

Bloodborne already been beaten in a speed run of under 45 minutes by exploiting glitches so I expect a patch will be incoming soon.Hopefully that will improve the load times also.

Keef Monkey

Just finished Hotline Miami 2!

This sucked me right in and consumed my time in the same way the first game did. The whole style of HM is just so hypnotic and compulsive and the soundtrack oh god the soundtrack (so glad I got the triple vinyl edition of this, I've been listening to the music a ton). That style is still here in spades and as great as ever. If I have a gripe with it it was in the presentation of the story, the first game was really obtuse and nightmarish and all the bits that didn't entirely make sense worked as a kind of dream logic. With this one it really feels like they might be trying to tell a more coherent story, but I can't say I could follow it at all really. Made me think that perhaps the first game's alluring obtuseness was a happy accident.

There were points where it was infuriatingly difficult (the game crashed twice on my Vita, both times on the final floor of a particularly tough level, did not help my blood pressure) but it feels so good to beat a floor that you forgive it immediately when you do. As such, it's a game I rate really highly but am almost relieved to have finished so I can get it out of my life. I'll be seeing it when I close my eyes for a while though.

PDitta

Alien: Isolation

2/3 absolutely nerve shredding awesomeness

1/3 Padding.

All in all, the Alien game I've been waiting for since the C64 version.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 02 April, 2015, 02:01:55 PM

This sucked me right in and consumed my time in the same way the first game did. The whole style of HM is just so hypnotic and compulsive and the soundtrack oh god the soundtrack (so glad I got the triple vinyl edition of this, I've been listening to the music a ton). That style is still here in spades and as great as ever. If I have a gripe with it it was in the presentation of the story, the first game was really obtuse and nightmarish and all the bits that didn't entirely make sense worked as a kind of dream logic. With this one it really feels like they might be trying to tell a more coherent story, but I can't say I could follow it at all really. Made me think that perhaps the first game's alluring obtuseness was a happy accident.

There were points where it was infuriatingly difficult (the game crashed twice on my Vita, both times on the final floor of a particularly tough level, did not help my blood pressure) but it feels so good to beat a floor that you forgive it immediately when you do. As such, it's a game I rate really highly but am almost relieved to have finished so I can get it out of my life. I'll be seeing it when I close my eyes for a while though.

I have barely started playing the first one. The controls for running and hitting or shooting at the same time have me confused.

Still sampling the survivalist games.....

Finally got Dark Souls - Prepare to Die to work and have just flipped back to the desktop here to find out what key-binding corresponds to pressing A  loot the corpse just thrown into the dungeon cell with my brand new character.

A large deprived girl with facial countenance of a wise dragon witch with purple hair tied into pig tails called Sheila-Na-Gig (Class old Irish name for a girl!)

I know the key is meant for a X-box controller, but I think I can rebind it.

CheechFU

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 10 April, 2015, 01:46:39 AM
Quote from: Keef Monkey on 02 April, 2015, 02:01:55 PM

I have barely started playing the first one. The controls for running and hitting or shooting at the same time have me confused.

Still sampling the survivalist games.....

Finally got Dark Souls - Prepare to Die to work and have just flipped back to the desktop here to find out what key-binding corresponds to pressing A  loot the corpse just thrown into the dungeon cell with my brand new character.

A large deprived girl with facial countenance of a wise dragon witch with purple hair tied into pig tails called Sheila-Na-Gig (Class old Irish name for a girl!)

I know the key is meant for a X-box controller, but I think I can rebind it.
You're playing Dark Souls with the keyboard?

The Enigmatic Dr X

Just discovered FUT in Fifa.

For someone hooked on Football Manager, this is not good. I've been up until 2.00am in the last three nights, then out to work.

Got... to... buy... bargain.

EDIT: FIFA came with my Xbox one, so I've had it since November. This timebomb has waited patiently for me.
Lock up your spoons!

ThryllSeekyr

Given up on Dark Souls just for now, because there doesn't seem to be anyway out of the dungeon my character started in. They made it as far as the large room where the Asylum Guardian blocks your way. It's some huge beast of a thing I was only able to scratch it's belly with the broken sword I had been given a few times before it keeps finishing her off.

Then I was somehow sent back to a earlier room, through what may have ben a secret/hidden door (That I think she stumbled into by accident.....) in that room where I was led on detour that got me better weapon, a large wooden club and wooden shield. yet now, when ever I try to enter that room to battle the guardian. I get message that some contraption has locked me out and need to find the trigger. I think.

The way through that door doesn't seem so obvious, except that there is a way onto balcony (Via some stairs....) that overlooks the very same room, but since my character cannot jump, and there appears to be a invisable wall barring my way here as well. 

Not that I'm in any hurry to confront this huge creature that just flatten my avatar every time. Even if I now have huge club and shield.   

I really like the realistic textures of the dungeon and the wooden shield in this game. reminds me of the graphical realism used in The Forest survival game.

I may have to start again with a better character that can actually defeat the beastie in that room without having to use the detour that doesn't allow them back in.

So, in the mean time, I have spent the last two days playing Rogue trooper and videoing it. The first game took few hours as I got Rogue all the way to the docks at the orange coast or sea. (it now looks much browner...) and after three attempt at that stage of the game before Rogue made it as far as rescuing Helm's bio-chip before become the squad/team of one! 

Despite, some assurance from Steam this game may have been graphically improved. It's still does look a bit dated now. I can almost count the polygons without squinting.

It seems strange that Genetic-Infantry man cannot swim around in the Orange-Sea. He just died both times I had in accidently land in that drink. I was thinking of putting him in it, but just knew that it would go bad for him if I did.

Would love to see this game remastered, and perhaps given less linear freedom of more of sandbox game. Not sure if this would ruin the story line. As I was thinking I should have a look a those Rogue Trooper novels I ordered years ago. Remembering how impressively collected and put together they were after the few times I have only glanced at the pages.

Seeing as they were being sold very cheaply for almost two dollars a pop. I brought the entire trilogy of Blood-Rayne games. I did have the very first some where on cd, but could never complete a level in that game due to some bad glitch. Wondering if Steam's version have fixed any errors in these games.

Also remembering that god awful Uwe Boll adaption of this character thinking that she is one and the same as Durham-Red. Also recalling how somebody here tried to explain to me that they are not the same character and why. Much to my further confusion while still seeing that they seem to be very much alike. I even went so far as to think they were the same creature with two different names.

Now after a little research, I realise that Blood is Dhampyr half human - half vampire who hates the full bloods and Durham who has the mutation of vampire powers without the fall out of them.

Since then, I have been trying to find out who is the creator of the former character. I do know Durham Red better.

Lastly, I have brought this old game I still own on cd and have been playing very cheaply. 

Like it says - words to the effect - on the description here....

Disciples - Scared Lands

It's more stylish version of Might n Magic and more worthy of owning a copy of on STEAM. Especially at barely at 2 Aussie dollars or a couple of more pounds for your own to play with. 

Satanist

On my 3rd playthrough of Bloodborne and still loving it. I'm gonna Platinum this bastard this week as its in no way as difficult as reviews make out. I cannot recommend this game enough.

Next up I'm gonna relax with the telltale Back to the Future adventure game and then its onto Demons Souls on PS3.

As a side note my 10 year old son is playing Dark Souls on 360 and is waaaay further than I ever managed. I'll rectify that as soon as I clear the decks of my current backlog.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

radiator

On a couple of long flights recently I played through most of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, for what must be the first time in 20+ years.

While it's still undoubtedly a wonderful game, it certainly has problems when judged by modern standards (unavoidable for such an old game, granted). In short, I probably would have ran out of patience with it an hour or two in were it not for the ability to abuse save states. There are a lot of elements that just build frustration and serve little purpose but to artificially extend playtime, such as the baffling inability to travel between the light and dark world at will, the lack of a fast-travel ability until very late in the game (and even then only in the light world), and having to traipse through labyrinthine dungeons time and time again because you've run out of bombs or potions or whatever.

The dungeons also get extremely tough towards the end of the game - not a problem in and of itself, but the difficulty/frustration is magnified by the aforementioned issues, and the fact that every time you fail you then have to spend another 10-15 minutes traversing the world restocking your supplies. And that bloody constant beep when you are low on health - gah! Surely one of the most irritating elements of any game ever devised.

I'm tempted to say that the recent 3DS sequel/quasi-remake A Link Between Worlds is the superior game overall - every bit as entertaining as the original but streamlined with all the modern concessions to the player (without being too hand-holdy).

But still, great to be able to play it again - it's one of those all-time classics I've never completed. Hope I manage it this time.

JamesC

I've gone on about my love/hate relationship with Zelda games before.
I completely agree with the above (and yes, get rid of the awful low health alarm). I really hope that Between Worlds marks a change in attitudes to Zelda development - being both a love letter to the past while also an admission that times, and game development, have moved on.
I recently started a play-through of Majora's Mask on 3DS and I just find it a bit of a chore. I've given up for the time being but I'll probably go back to it. I never did like the N64 Zeldas much (Ocarina of Time is impressive but I always get bored before the end)
I'm playing through the Wind Waker on WiiU at the moment and, though it has its problems (which really annoyed me at first - I almost gave up playing it months ago but have recently gone back to it) it has undeniable charm.

I really hope Zelda WiiU shakes things up and gives us the best Zelda yet.

radiator

It's been a long time since I played it, but I absolutely adored Wind Waker - an astoundingly beautiful game - I even loved the seafaring element that most people thought was boring. However, for me (as for many other players) it came to a grinding halt with that tedious fetch quest bit where you have to find all the shards (apparently put in to extend that game as they ran out of time/money?).

I've long been tempted to pick up the 3DS remake of Ocarina, but am worried I'd just find it a bit annoying in that 'early 3d game' way. I never much cared for Majora's Mask even at the time (on N64). I get why people like it and it's certainly an interesting concept, but I just found the time loop element frustrating. Never finished it.

A Link Between Worlds is the pick of the bunch for me. The WiiU one looks intriguing, though I suspect it'll end up on a different console.

Zenith 666

I bought an N64 for ocarina of time and still my greatest purchase(spent Christmas Day playing goldeneye though).re:thryllseeker the boulder that crashes down the stairs before asylum demon breaks the wall so you can meet the knight I think he gives you the estus flask and there's a better sword to be found before the demon but you must not be reading the notes on the floor.when you go through the fog gate and are above the demon jump down on him and attack just as you meet him this is a strong attack you'll take 50% of his health after that just role and run from his attacks use the estus flasks to heal remember to not panic and you should vanquish him.i recommend the dark souls wiki as well.if your not online your in for an horrendous time.i envy you one of the greatest games I've ever played.

Keef Monkey

Finished Zombie Army Trilogy at the weekend, me and a co-op buddy had been coming back to it now and then and working through a level or two. The third game is easily the best, level design is much more interesting and things look a lot cooler and more varied. Great fun game that.

Also battered through the free Fast & Furious thing that Forza Horizon put out as standalone DLC, never played the main game but that freebie has got my interest, really enjoyed it.

ThryllSeekyr

Here is Dwelvers videos......

This game is given me some in sight on the War-Spasm

Just pm me if want to know more about that one  ;)

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Myself
This game is given me some in sight on the War-Spasm

Mean to be Warp-Spasm, you know Slaine.

Aside from making up a Orc called Perfect-Tooth in Skyrim and deciding to head up the snowy mountain instead of entering |Riverwood. I have entered some lair filled with Bandits and a female who was entangled in some spider webs. Yep, there are some large spiders and they have queen that takes some beating. It can't meleed, and I have been throwing firey destruction at it slowly or I was until I ran out of video.

I have to say the Elves are creepy in this game, but I guess they are meant to be. They kind of give the Argonians a run for their money with their near reptilian appearance. Even the Orc's look more human and sort of pissed that there are only one race of Orcs in this game.

Wait for my game-video sooner or later....

Aside from that, I've been playing Dungeons which was supposed to be the next Dungeon Keeper (It's just not really!) I was never impressed with the demo and after buying on it Steam for less than a fiver. I couldn't be bothered with it much after first dungeon the avatar (Anti-Hero!) seemed bugged enough to stop me from ever completing it.

Until a few days ago, and now I'm stuck on the First-Do-Your-Own-Dungeon mission, because I think that game really is easily broken. Yet, it does seem to be very much it's own game with regards to me ever thinking it should be another spin-off of D-K. The Pentagram-Monster idea isn't so bad now it's fun laying them down having hero's entering the dungeon and be slowed down by these carefully placed demonic paraphernalia and other furnishings. Actual rooms are not so important as the furniture which can be carefully placed anywhere.

Like I said the quests in this game seem easily broken and can ruin this game. I'm starting it again some other time, though.

Played a bit of Half-Life two a while back and thought it's enjoyable romp once he get's his own crow-bar weapon handed to him not long after he get's started. Really do get the impression his support team are just going him the run around, literally.

How do I get out of the room filled with water and all these empty drum containers. After fighting off wave after wave of those Mini-Copter-Bots. I shoved some of them through the one small hole in the metal grating (Positioned where the ladder is!) that separated the top of the room where I entered with the other half filled with water. The only way out is through pipe I can't reach on thje lower half.

The female interest, (Scientest-Daughter) is kind of hot, like Sasha from The Walking-Dead.

Yet, then again, maybe not!

Almost forgot, the new Warhammer 40k plays like it's own version of Chess. (Is it right that some pieces can't retreat after advancing?) Not so bad with some good graphics, but it's still in Early-Access and they still fire their weapons when you really want them to go melee.