Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 05 January, 2016, 04:12:47 PM
Replaying Human Revolution after Shadowrun gave me a hunger for cyberpunk. Splashed out £4 for the Director's Cut

Appreciating it so much more than I remembered. Great game, great themes. Would love to see the first one just plain remade in this engine.

Read the novels and almost played the table -top role playing game. I have two the games adapted for computers and was hooked on one of them for while.

The other one seemed very promising and even had celebrity support, but really turned to be kind of Naf. Not sure if it's still early access. Because the trolls looked very child-like......kind of like babies. Very unconvincing to me.

I might check the game out again to see if it's been improved.

sheridan

After a long drought of playing any games, I've managed:

• Slash: Romance Without Boundaries
  • Fairytale Gloom
  • 7 Wonders
  • Unspeakable Words (twice)
  • Betrayal at House on the Hill
  • Cards Against Humanity
  • Fluxx
  • Dixit

ThryllSeekyr

After choosing the A-TEAM from the Guild-Roster in the very first Bard's-Tale game. I managed to get them all up to second level. Which good, as I was able to buy the second level spells for one of my Mages who was then able to cast healing spells. Rather than forcing me to find one of Skara-Brae's few temples to purchase it on one off basis there.

While on a subsequent play session. I still managed to get just about all of them killed again before I could figure out what to do with them to move the game forward. That will take a couple of thousand gold to do and while using a smaller party of character's created in the Guild-Hall. While carrying the corpses around one by one until enough gold is made to heal them. 

I have also checked out Sword-Coast-Legends which is based on Dungeons & Dragon's set on the Forgotten-Realms world of Faerun. (Most likely the latest edition!) Not quite as bad as some reviewers have complained about and a improvement over Baulder's Gate. (Which I recall purchasing in box from games shop in the city nearly 20 years ago!) It seems to have all the right bells' n whistles minus the crucial element of customisation that can only be achieved from the table top version of this game with a group of real friends.  I do like the character animations most of all, partically when they are in combat or just running around. The Dwarven-Rogue has this option to Disengage (Actual name of ability!) from melee if he is to do what is intended of his character class and throw some impressive back-flips away from the fight before going into stealth mode to swing around the commotion and back-stab the opposition. Still think that just going translucent is a very poor way to use Stealth. I would actually not have it as ability but some that that class' is better at while suddenly auto-finding ways to move unobserved (Not hard to do in big fight!) by quick stepping behind every conveniently big enough object before he's closer enough to strike. I also love seeing well known spells, now visually realised in spectacular fashion. Also impressive, if some what hard to pick out music score and while watching the credits roll. This would make a excellent television series or movie if done correctly.

I also had very short look game of ShadowRun Chronicles. It's a lot like ShadowRun Returns (Considering they're both based on the same novels and table top role playing game!) I swear I was carrying the first trilogy of these books while I had ben reading them to show to some people who I played AD&D with and another of them had started pulling out ShadowRun books from role-playing game I was reading about. (He must have ben stalking me!) We spent the entire weekend creating our own characters. I chose to have the biggest and strongest Troll I could tally up and improved upon their stats using cyber-ware and I think he was going to be one of those Street-Samurai. (The futurised version of City-Bounty-Hunter!)  Somebody else chose to be a Human-Decker (Who can jack into computer terminals via a co-axial port installed into their head. Through which they can automatically hack into the connected machine via thought alone. It's supposed to be a more efficient way of hacking into the computer networks around the city and those that belong to the Mega-Corps that now control the world in a future where magic and fantasy races have been re-awakened. It took days, weeks, months before people began mutating into Dwarves, Orcs, Halfings and any other manner of demi-human that is known in Europeon, Celtic, Aztec, American, Australian Native folklore. There are Elves as well, but I think they might be a separate race of elder beings who have always existed apart and in secrecy and now they co-exist after revealing themselves. (I could be wrong about that, if you recall the comparison I made between Shadowrun and the world of Shannara under the same topic on the Television and Film thread!)  This person then created the avatar that he controls while hacking (It's like he's playing a computer inside his head!) that is what ever pass's for the peak of physical condition for a paragraph of code. Often the direct opposite of the Decker themselves, if they are the stereotype of most computer hackers. He also carries a Deck (Hence the name, Decker and that's a portable computer and it doesn't need a monitor, because it all goes on inside their head.) Their is also a Physical-Adept who is martial artist who uses cyber-ware (Maybe they don't use Cyber-ware, because all those implants also take away their humanity. The more they have of them, the less they are human and more machine!) and the martial artist is really a lot like Ken and Ryo from Street-Fighter. There are also, Mages, (Who drawn their power from their persistence and nothing to do with intelligence much at all!) Shaman's, Mech-Engineers, and Med-Techs (Cyber-Doctors). The world become like that of Blade-Runner minus the flying cars. (I only recall reading about Japanese motor-bikes.)   

I will continue this later.....

TordelBack

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance on the original X-Box. Been playing a co-op run on this on and off since RetroSanta popped it in the Boy's stocking. Great fun, with some nice shocks and frequent use of the traditional battlecry 'Run away! Run away!'.

Theblazeuk

An improvement on Baldur's Gate?!?

GO FOR THE EYES BOO, GO FOR THE EYES!!!

jacob g

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 05 January, 2016, 04:12:47 PM
Replaying Human Revolution after Shadowrun gave me a hunger for cyberpunk.

About cyberpunk games. Remember Me is fun game with some beautiful locations and it's real shame how limited is world in this game.
margaritas ante porcos

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 06 January, 2016, 11:18:29 AM
An improvement on Baldur's Gate?!?

GO FOR THE EYES BOO, GO FOR THE EYES!!!

It's just a opinion. and your just praising the humour written into storyline. Which I can't fault, because I never got very far into that game. It just drove me bonkers how little well this game system or engine was made to allow me to take care of a party of more than four characters. I just threw it when they had to explore some cave after being sent on a quest to rid a farmstead of some Kobolds.....

I still have the multiple game disks for this and now have the remastered version via STEAM. So, I will be having another go at that one sometime after I'm finished with playing this S.C. Legends module. I just not that keen on the amount of micro-management  that s now been efficiently slimmed down in the game I'm presently playing.

I thought the stuff about Boo and it's owner Minsc very entertaining and funny. I just been reading through all this which is as intriguing as it is disturbing. I don't think I will sleep easily tonight.

Anyw2a, I forget what ever I was going to finish my comments with after reading all that.

Theblazeuk

Space bar is your friend in Baldur's Gate. Space bar and fireball/Lightning.

ThryllSeekyr

I think it's the F or whatever pauses the game while in combat.

There is also a tactical switch, because everybody just runs towards their target regardless of wether their armed with bow/arrows or a mage.

So my mage Gundorf Metal-Mane used to forget spellcasting and wade into battle with his staff weapon. It was hard to get my team to stay where they have been put until I discovered that auto-tactics option. They don't retreat when low on health and will always run back towards the target after being moved back.

As for Fireballs and Lightening-Bolts the former needs enough room and that your entire intended target are all standing together. You don't want any from your side mixed up in that melee when the f-ball hits.

Not sure if the latter works like you think it might if everybody is standing in water, including the caster.

I prefer the direct hitting spells, like Ray of Frost or Magic Missile.

I, Cosh

Lara Croft Go is a fun iOS puzzle game which doesn't really have much to do with Tomb Raider other than informing the type of tiles you have to move around. A solid couple of evenings worth of play for a couple of quid.

Picked up a couple of frustrating things reasonably cheap on PSN recently too. I'd always fancied playing God of War but I'm a bit disappointed that the boss fights seem to be more Guitar Hero style rhythm action than fighting prowess. The less said about the shagging minigame the better.

I'd never played Jak & Daxter either, despite being a fan of contemporaries like Spyro and Ratchet & Clank. There's the core of a half decent game in there but the two big failings are how slow it is (and I know this isn't necessary as there's an occasional power-up which speeds things up to a perfectly acceptable level) and what is probably the worst camera in any game I've ever played. Still going for 100%.

Still plugging away at Dark Souls 2 as well. Finished the main game a few weeks ago. Luckily the various DLCs are properly hard as nails just to put you back in your place. Started another character too just to see how it plays as a magical dude.
We never really die.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Satanist on 05 January, 2016, 01:58:54 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 29 November, 2015, 04:52:41 PM
Been playing a lot of Undertale recently, a really great (if somewhat twisted) retro RPG.

Seen this was one of the games of 2015 on Jimquisition, would you say its suitable for a 10 year old?
Suitable in terms on content? Yes, most deffinetly. Theirs a great deal a spongey mind can learn from this delightful tale. Endlessly fun with some brilliantly vibrante and unique characters, gripping visuals as well considering it's a minimalistic RPG affair. It's also got crazy story variability, as at slightest desision can completely change the story outcome.

Suitable in terms of game play? Deppends. The difficult spike is insane and hit's hard, and often it delliberatly breaks it's own internal logic in order to support one of the stories lessons and arcs. It's all rather clever, until you have to time a jump within a fraction of a second in order to not take damage. Not an easy game to control, but a rewarding one, and becomes easier with practice.

richerthanyou

Rocksmith 2014. A cracking game. I only did a year of guitar lessons at school so the most I could ever play was the riff to Smoke On The Water and Smells Like Teen Spirit. Thanks to the game I'm now miles better at guitar (although it is all from memory, it doesn't teach you important stuff like scales or any of that technical stuff)

Still, makes me feel like a rock god when I'm jumping about the place smashing out some Iron Maiden!

The fun was cut short however when my bottom E string broke thanks to me trying to play a song with some obscure tuning....wound the thing just a little too tight :(
(  ゚,_ゝ゚)   

Keef Monkey

Finished Halo 5 last night and really, really enjoyed it. I've been really late to seeing the fuss about Halo games, but I think I was just playing them wrong because the way I usually play shooters (pretty slow and cautious) doesn't really work in Halo because it's more about the chaos and being overwhelmed and always keeping on the move. Once it clicked with me it's actually pretty exhilarating and the new movement stuff they've added in this makes it really badass because you can zip around and clamber and dash and groundstomp. Great fun!

It's got really epic set pieces too, like this ace one where you're on a huge floating robot thing and running down it towards the ground that's miles away, while it's moving and trying to shake you off. Looks beautiful, really took my breath away - https://account.xbox.com/en-gb/gameclip/184cf3b6-61bf-45b3-b01b-46d8f883fefa?gamerTag=Superbeasto&scid=03a80100-9ff3-46ea-be76-e00e7fe465df

Not a clue what was going on in the story though. Looked like big epic things were happening, but the Halo storyline has been unintelligible for a really long time and this is no different.

Keef Monkey

Me and my brother always try and keep a co-op PC game on the go because it means we can play online when we get a chance (he's in Vancouver and I'm in Scotland so the time zone difference makes it tough!), so just finished playing through Dead Space 3 together.

Played it on 360 when it came out and found it terribly frustrating, partly because the combat really wasn't balanced for a single player and partly because the first two games were absolutely stunning so the fact this one is just sort of a bit good was pretty disappointing. Suffice to say, it was way more fun when combined with catch up chats with my brother and made for some fun japes and a lot of intensely panicked shouting.

Still a huge drop-off from the first two in every regard, but a decent co-op horror shooter by any other standards.

Hawkmumbler

Ultra Street Fighter IV. Gotta say, V has a tough legacy to live up to.