Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

Probably still worth a shot if you didn't like Dead Island - I really didn't like that game and took a while to get into Dying Light but once I did I wound up loving it.

Keef Monkey

If anyone liked Limbo and has an XB1 or PC, then hugely recommend Inside. It's a similar length to Limbo (about 3-4hrs depending how fast you solve the puzzles) so the £15 price tag might seem a bit much, but it's polished to perfection and, like Limbo, never seems to repeat an idea and finishes before it runs out of them. It's brilliant, intuitive puzzling with a ton of atmosphere and predictably fantastic art and sound design. It's short, but I'm already midway through a second run I enjoyed it so much.

I, Cosh

Have gone quite mad for Witcher 3 over the last few weeks. Slightly surprised not to have seen more chat about it here.

Normally with this kind of game I play it for a few days then lose interest, forget what I'm meant to be looking for and never play it again. Here I'm amazed to find myself sucked into the storylines and, while most of the missions follow a a few standard templates, they've done a great job of keeping them interesting through the writing. High praise from me considering I think "Take off and blast the evil Bydo empire..." is as much narrative as a game needs.

The only thing I don't like is the stupid Gwent card game.
We never really die.

Greg M.

Quote from: The Cosh on 12 July, 2016, 10:37:07 AM

The only thing I don't like is the stupid Gwent card game.

I didn't like it to start with either, but once I got into, it became bloody addictive.

Satanist

Witcher 3 is next on my list, I was gonna start it last week but couldnt concentrate due to having a bad cold, poor me.

Try Furi as its free this month on PSN and I think you'll like it.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Keef Monkey

Gwent has apparently proved so popular that it's getting it's own standalone game - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Kmz8-jJ7HM

Have Witcher 2&3 sitting ready to play, have heard great things about both but found the first game a real slog so am giving it some time before I jump back in!

I, Cosh

Quote from: Satanist on 12 July, 2016, 11:19:04 AM
Try Furi as its free this month on PSN and I think you'll like it.
Actually had a go of this last night. It's alright. I got battered by the second boss's last form.
We never really die.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 12 July, 2016, 12:30:42 PM
Gwent has apparently proved so popular that it's getting it's own standalone game - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Kmz8-jJ7HM

Have Witcher 2&3 sitting ready to play, have heard great things about both but found the first game a real slog so am giving it some time before I jump back in!

Yeah I have Witcher 1 & 2 but have kind of given up on 1 after fighting some bloody stupid dogs and discovering some complex crafting thing I can't be arsed with.

Link Prime

I've yet to get Witcher 3, so may as well wait for the game of the year edition.

I've been slavishly Metal Gear Solid V for the past few months, and have had a hell of a ride.
I loved everything about this beautiful game- even the much derided twist ending ([spoiler]you're not actually Snake / Big Boss[/spoiler]).

For an 80's music aficionado, its up there with GTA Vice City- a great selection of mid 80's classics for your Sony Walkman.
And I've been introduced to Midge Ure's superior version of 'The Man Who Sold The World' too.

I was two trophies away from the platinum, but threw the towel in last night- just can't get that S rank on every mission.

Now its a choice of back to Fallout 4, or starting Uncharted 4- or maybe take up reading again for a few nights!

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 12 July, 2016, 03:28:33 PM

Yeah I have Witcher 1 & 2 but have kind of given up on 1 after fighting some bloody stupid dogs and discovering some complex crafting thing I can't be arsed with.

That's probably one of my biggest problems with the first game, there are a lot of really fiddly systems (like the crafting) and none of them are adequately explained. The other problem is I found the combat absolutely appalling. I really enjoyed the world and the story and got really into that aspect of it, but anytime a fight broke out (which is often) I was grinding my teeth in preparation for the slog of it.

It made it a real struggle to see through to the end, but I wanted to because I've heard they fix a lot of those problems in later games and I don't like to skip an entry!

jacob g

I've also finally finished MGSV: Phantom Pain and... this is probably the best unfinished game I've ever played (and I was never big fan of MGS). If Kojima had a chance to finish the game properly this could be my second favorite AAA game after Mass Effect trilogy.

I loved the twist with Venom Snake even though many people seem to hate it. I liked Quiet as a character as soon as I learned how to ignore her ridiculous design.
margaritas ante porcos

Link Prime

Quote from: jacob g on 13 July, 2016, 10:04:30 AM
I liked Quiet as a character as soon as I learned how to ignore her ridiculous design.

She was great.
The ending to 'A Quiet Exit' was a huge gut-punch for me.
I can't be the only one who had a lump in their throat [spoiler]as she guided Pequod to our location[/spoiler].

I also totally regret not taking the opportunity to talk to Stefanie Joosten in Holland earlier this year.  ::)

I, Cosh

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 13 July, 2016, 10:03:23 AM
That's probably one of my biggest problems with the first game, there are a lot of really fiddly systems (like the crafting) and none of them are adequately explained. The other problem is I found the combat absolutely appalling. I really enjoyed the world and the story and got really into that aspect of it, but anytime a fight broke out (which is often) I was grinding my teeth in preparation for the slog of it.
Everything I've read suggests the first game is considered to be a bit of a dog. I hadn't heard of the series until this one came out and I'm not remotely bothered about jumping on at this point.
We never really die.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: The Cosh on 13 July, 2016, 12:45:15 PM
Quote from: Keef Monkey on 13 July, 2016, 10:03:23 AM
Everything I've read suggests the first game is considered to be a bit of a dog. I hadn't heard of the series until this one came out and I'm not remotely bothered about jumping on at this point.

I thought I'd play them in order and the first one was so bad that I have no intention of trying the third.
Lock up your spoons!

The Enigmatic Dr X

On a separate note, I've just finished Dragon Age: Inquisition - with two of its DLCs.

What an ending! Not sure it was worth 110 hours of my life, right enough, especially as the last 20 hours was a bit of a grind through the story.
Lock up your spoons!