Main Menu

TV's Professionals head for big screen!

Started by Woolly, 28 March, 2011, 09:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly

From BBCnews:

"Cult crime series The Professionals is to return in a new film version that will show how Bodie and Doyle came to work for British security unit CI5.

The project - co-produced by Lionsgate UK and Eighth Wonder Pictures - is expected to start shooting on location in the UK later this year.

Casting has yet to be announced in what has been described as "an exhilarating, emotionally-charged action-thriller".

Lewis Collins and Martin Shaw starred in the original 1970s TV show.

"The Professionals was such an iconic British crime series that it's a fantastic opportunity for Lionsgate to be able to bring it to the big screen for the first time," said Zygi Kamasa of Lionsgate UK.

"This production will combine the wit and fast-paced action of the original TV series but also completely reinvent it for a new, modern audience."

The original Professionals - which also featured Gordon Jackson as CI5 chief George Cowley - ran from 1977 to 1983.

"To take this 70s TV classic and launch it onto the big screen is a dream come true," said Eighth Wonder's Richard Whelan.

Created by writer Brian Clemens, The Professionals was famous for its propulsive Laurie Johnson theme tune and the Ford Capris its characters drove.

The late Edward Woodward appeared in a short-lived TV remake - CI5: The New Professionals - that aired on Sky One in 1999."

Not as good a choice as The Sweeney, but could still be a winner!

SmallBlueThing

Ah, so THIS is the Jedward vehicle Louis Walsh has been hinting at...

SBT

JOE SOAP

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 28 March, 2011, 09:33:31 PM
Ah, so THIS is the Jedward vehicle Louis Walsh has been hinting at...

The Amateurs.

Zarjazzer

I still watch the re-runs even now. I love seeing Hercule Poirot/David Suchet as a terrorist/mercenary in one episode, fighting with Bodie in a fabulous punch up.

I wonder who they'll get to play the leads?

:-\
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

TordelBack

Quote from: Zarjazzer on 28 March, 2011, 10:05:23 PM
I wonder who they'll get to play the leads?

I believe the law requires that it be Martin Freeman and James Nesbit.

Dandontdare

Ant & Dec, with Richard Wilson as Cowley.

I, Cosh

Can't say I'm terribly fussed either way. On the odd occasion I see on episode on ITV4 it's usually still a pretty enjoyable hour's telly.
We never really die.

Kerrin

Apparently Gerard Butler and Jason Statham in the main roles with either Liam Neeson or Gary Oldman as Cowley. Tom Hardy is supposedly in the running for a part as well.