Main Menu

The Mandalorian

Started by judgeurko, 13 November, 2019, 04:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackmocco

Quote from: radiator on 31 December, 2019, 06:31:10 AM
I'm on episode 5, and my interest is kind of waning. I can't seem to make time to watch the rest of it.

I feel like the show is pitched quite young - I mean, I know it's Star Wars and all, but I still find it slight to the point where I feel its quite staid and predictable. Someone on another site described it as a 'live action cartoon', and I think that's a fair description. Which is fine and all, if thats what you're after, and its not a bad show (though some of the acting is a bit questionable) i just hoped it would be a little edgier, or grittier maybe, a touch heavier on the drama side of things.

It's easier to put the show into context when you watch via Disney+ and see it right next to The Muppet Movie, Pete's Dragon and Escape From Witch Mountain. It's easy to lose sight that it's intended as an old-fashioned all-ages show, one you can (more or less) comfortably watch with your kids. Through that lens, it's a roaring success but I'm not disagreeing with you. There are times I feel like I'm watching an updated Buck Rogers in the 25th Century. I pretty much hated everything about the episode with Bill Burr (although it helps to learn he actually despises all things Star Wars and did it as a favour to Favreau) from the acting to the logic but the show raises itself significantly for the last two episodes. I say stick it out. You'll be happy you did.

Of note, my significant other (just like Bill Burr) despises all things Star Wars yet loves this show. The answer is in its simplicity: you don't have to know anything about Star Wars to enjoy it. Who knew that would be a factor in the show's success? It's a Star Wars show that doesn't just appeal to a rabid fanbase. After subjecting myself to ROS, a royal fucking stinker of convoluted storytelling, The Mandalorian - for all the many faults - comes out smelling like roses. At the very least, I ended up caring about what happened next. After three movies of drivel** since Disney took charge, I'll take that as a victory for the show.

(**I've found Rogue One is the only new addition that stands up to - indeed, I'd say actually improves with - repeated viewings while I've slowly come round to Solo.)
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

shaolin_monkey

Keef Monkey

Just finished this and loved it. It does slump a bit mid-season where after the first 3 episodes feeling like a movie it starts to settle into feeling more like episodic TV (and very '90s episodic TV at that - there's a hint of Xena about a couple of the episodes). I don't think it gets bad necessarily, it's just a bit deflating after the prestige sheen of the opening trio when you get a real look at how it'll actually run from week to week.

After that slight slump though I think the last couple of episodes get back to (and exceed) the quality of the opening stuff, absolutely brilliant telly and some great Star Warsy Star Warsness. So good, look forward to more.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 20 January, 2020, 10:31:22 AM
Just finished this and loved it. It does slump a bit mid-season where after the first 3 episodes feeling like a movie it starts to settle into feeling more like episodic TV (and very '90s episodic TV at that - there's a hint of Xena about a couple of the episodes). I don't think it gets bad necessarily, it's just a bit deflating after the prestige sheen of the opening trio when you get a real look at how it'll actually run from week to week.

After that slight slump though I think the last couple of episodes get back to (and exceed) the quality of the opening stuff, absolutely brilliant telly and some great Star Warsy Star Warsness. So good, look forward to more.

Agree.  The episode with the mechanic and the bounty wasn't that strong.  I loved the one with the AT-ST though!  And Carasynthia Dune is just bloody gorgeous!

I rewatched the last two episodes with my partner, who hadn't seen any of them (I gave  her a quick potted history) and the end of [spoiler]the seventh and start of the eighth was so gutting she had tears in her eyes, [/spoiler]bless her.

Plus those two biker scouts - comedy gold! 

And who doesn't want their own Baby Yoda?  The Star Wars merch team are rubbing their hands together gleefully over that one.

The Enigmatic Dr X

You can safely watch eps 1 and 2, then 7 and 8.

And you should.

I have spoken.
Lock up your spoons!

Tiplodocus

So 4 episodes in and this is ok but not great. There's definitely a LOT of visual cues included to make fan boys go moist. The ATST in Ep 4 is great. But it still hasn't  really engaged me.

I have to say, I am enjoying it more than I thought I would because I hate bounty hunters in Star Wars. Boba Fett ? More like Boba Shit.

Anybody else hear the Star Trek motion picture Klingon theme in The Mandalorian theme?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

DrRocka

I loved every episode. Just seemed to be Strontium Dog in Star Wars universe as far as I could tell.
Never ever bloody anything ever

Mardroid

I've  enjoyed all the episodes so far, but I'm finding some of the acting seriously cheesy. Not the main lead. He is doing very well, and kudos to the actor for leaving his helmet on all the time.* The two twi-lek characters and the devaronian** in the last episode are good examples. I understand that maybe they're supposed to be like that, but I wished they'd toned it down a bit. It felt more like I was watching a (grantedly good) fan-film, with good special effects.

There robot designs in the last episode were pretty cool.

*Although that does contradict depictions of other mandalorians in the clone wars series, and AotC (if you count Jango and Boba, although they're likely not mandalorians themselves) who remove their helmets without ramifications, but maybe this is a specific thing to his clan. I did think maybe something happened between the original trilogy and these events to cause them to keep their faces hidden, but he stated in a previous episode that he has kept the rule since he was a child, which was during the clone wars.

** His species are called that cos they looks devilish. Get it?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Mardroid on 18 April, 2020, 11:08:40 PM

Although that does contradict depictions of other mandalorians in the clone wars series, and AotC (if you count Jango and Boba, although they're likely not mandalorians themselves) who remove their helmets without ramifications, but maybe this is a specific thing to his clan.

The series is set well after both those time periods and it's heavily hinted that A Thing has happened at some time since then. I'm not up on what is/is not canon, but I understand that Clone Wars definitely is and there's a thing in the later episodes that ties strongly back to that series, plus persistent rumours that [spoiler]Ahsoka[/spoiler] is making an appearance in S2...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Jim is correct, but I think it's as simple to just see it as a cultural retrenching: Mandalore is a whole planet with an interstellar reach, its traditions are deep and diverse, and have been buffeted by war and the political turmoil of the past 50 years.

At the time.of this series the people who see themselves as 'true' Mandalorians cleave to a practice of representing themselves solely through traditional armoured dress. They belong to an ancient warrior culture, but it's not unbroken or universal.

Mardroid

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 April, 2020, 12:42:03 AM
Quote from: Mardroid on 18 April, 2020, 11:08:40 PM

Although that does contradict depictions of other mandalorians in the clone wars series, and AotC (if you count Jango and Boba, although they're likely not mandalorians themselves) who remove their helmets without ramifications, but maybe this is a specific thing to his clan.

The series is set well after both those time periods and it's heavily hinted that A Thing has happened at some time since then. I'm not up on what is/is not canon, but I understand that Clone Wars definitely is and there's a thing in the later episodes that ties strongly back to that series, plus persistent rumours that [spoiler]Ahsoka[/spoiler] is making an appearance in S2...

He was a child in the clone wars and he apparently took up the practice of hiding his face amongst others at around eight years old. There's still time though. They're dealing with the mandalorian situation in the current arc of Clone Wars season 7 on Disney+) which intersects with the start of Revenge of the Sith so maybe he donned his first armour during that period or shortly after. The mandalorian situation does seem to revolve more around [spoiler]Darth Maul and Crimson Dawn rather than the separatists but a destruction of the government could factor in.[/spoiler]

Quote from: TordelBack on 19 April, 2020, 08:04:08 AM
Jim is correct, but I think it's as simple to just see it as a cultural retrenching: Mandalore is a whole planet with an interstellar reach, its traditions are deep and diverse, and have been buffeted by war and the political turmoil of the past 50 years.

At the time of this series the people who see themselves as 'true' Mandalorians cleave to a practice of representing themselves solely through traditional armoured dress. They belong to an ancient warrior culture, but it's not unbroken or universal.

That explanation works for me.

wedgeski

Quote from: DrRocka on 16 April, 2020, 03:45:05 AM
I loved every episode. Just seemed to be Strontium Dog in Star Wars universe as far as I could tell.
That's a pretty great way of looking at it. Right now tbh, I could without another "How's he going to make some money/get his ship repaired" episode and have something that actually moves the story along a bit, but quite frankly, just throw some more X-Wings in, and I'm on board whatever happens.

Tiplodocus

Yeah, that was ok.

I did enjoy most of it but it did seem oddly paced at times. Even the characters seemed to be taking leisurely stroll when you'd think they might have some urgency about them (e.g. sewers in finale).

But overall a thumbs up and I'd love to see more. I just hope Tiny Tips leaves his Disney+ password behind when(if) he heads back to wherever he heads to when this is all over.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

moly

Enjoying clone wars more, the pacing is a lot better