Main Menu

Titanfall

Started by Rog69, 01 September, 2013, 10:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rog69

This almost passed me by because I thought it was an Xbox one exclusive but it appears that it is also heading to the PC and 360 too.

I've been feeling pretty burnt out on online shooters lately, I haven't enjoyed a COD game since 4 and BF3 never really floated my boat but I really like the look of Titanfall. They have pinched ideas from a few different shooters, it's a mix of COD, Tribes and Mechwarrior with some cutscenes and other elements taken from single player games to flesh things out.

I had it down as another COD clone when I first saw it, but after watching the gameplay vids I was grinning like a loon and throwing my wallet at the screen  ;).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaJdCkoLCIo

Radbacker

yes this does look good, I'm an absolute sucker for any game with a Mech in it but its still not making me buy an XBone.  I wish DICE would revive the 2042 franchise but I guess we'll have to settle for Starwars instead :)

CU Radbacker

Keef Monkey

This definitely looks pretty special. I've always loved the idea of an online shooter but in practice I've not enjoyed many of them enough to get hooked (Gears is an exception). This looks like it could click with me.

Zarjazzer

looks mech blastingly good.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Professor Bear

Looks more or less identical to Starhawk, which was not great.

JamesC

Watched a gameplay trailer and there was quite a bit of what I'd call first person platforming which I never think works very well.

Rog69

There is a video here of a presentation for the game that combines the trailer and a big chunk of gameplay footage -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3z25fL8l7w

Quote from: JamesC on 04 September, 2013, 08:24:39 PM
Watched a gameplay trailer and there was quite a bit of what I'd call first person platforming which I never think works very well.

I think that will be the biggest challenge in balancing the game, they need to get the map design and parkour style platforming spot on to ensure the squishy fast moving people are balanced against the lumbering, heavily armed mechs. I'm pretty confident that they will pull it off based on what I have seen so far.

Rog69

So, the beta is running this weekend, anyone else playing?

I managed to get a key for the PC version and I've played a couple of different game types and it's OK so far, I'm still on the fence about pre-ordering until I've played a bit more.

If anyone else wants in, apply to join the beta on the official site and then email Origin support and complain that they sent you an XB1 code instead of PC (or vice versa if you want to join the Xbox1 beta) and they will send you an invite within a couple of hours :)

Pete Wells

I had a rollicking good time playing this last night. I'm not a multiplayer person usually 'cos I love a good story but it did feel great and I felt myself getting better as time went on.

I'm sure if you're a multiplayer fan you'll love it, I just wish there was a single player campaign!

WhizzBang

It is a complete mystery to me what you lot see in this. It looks identical to hundreds of other space marine fps games.

Keef Monkey

In practice it's actually very different. Even down to just the basics of movement and how you get around the map it's unlike any other FPS I've played. The wallrunning and double jumps mean it's really vertical, you can slip onto the rooftops in a couple of moves while fighting and evading, which when it works out for you feels very very cool.

Plus just the addition of mechs means the dynamics of the match are constantly shifting on the fly, you could be running around run and gun FPS style taking out pilots, then you round a corner and there's a huge mech so you have to adapt in a heartbeat or die.

Hell, even when you're not in a mech yourself just the sight of them nuking themselves, throwing pilots about and firing streams of rockets just makes it feel way more epic than a normal FPS deathmatch.

Oh, and ejecting is awesome and I don't think it'll ever get old.

Radbacker

I got the demo today, fast, furious and fun.  Wasn't sure I'd like it coming more from BF that MW (last one I played was actually MW2) but it certainly plays a fun online game.  the bots thrown in seem a bit arbitrary but it gives you something to kill when your getting outclassed by everyone on the enemy team.  The Titans are fun and seem decently balanced, I've gone on a couple of murder spree's in one (and likewise seen other rampaging) but nothing a bunch of organised pilots cant deal with.  It'll be interesting to see if it can bring the strategy like BF or just going to be more a Kill fest based game like the COD's, seems a bit of depth with how you use your Titan (you can set it to follow, Guard or just go off kill by it self giving you a bit of flexibility in how you approach the domination style games though why you'd want to leave the comfort of a nice big stompy robot in the Death match modes you'd have to convince me).
I was on the fence with this but the demo's got me it's now on pre-order, maybe I can ween myself of BF4 with it :)

CU Radbacker

Dr Feeley Good

Was watching the lad play the beta on his pc yesterday, looked really good.!  Though he seemed really good on it! particularly liked the pistol he got that did locked on headships!!

Rog69

I've now put around 5 hours into this and I'm loving it, I'm definitely going to pre-order this one if I can find a reasonably priced deal (this game is very expensive for a PC release).

It may be derivative of other past FPS's (what multiplayer FPS since Doom isn't) but it's incredible fun and very well balanced.

The only minor niggles I have are that the bots are a bit thick, they really are only there for cannon fodder and padding out the numbers (which makes it even more embarrassing when you get taken out by one  :) ) and that auto lock on pistol needs to go, it's a really cheap way to get killed.

Dandontdare

Dammit, how many times have I clicked on this thread thinking it's about the recent Dredd strip? You'd think once would teach me but....