Main Menu

Marvel "Ultimate Graphic Novels" Collection (As seen on TV!!!)

Started by Alski, 30 December, 2011, 03:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alski

Saw this advertised all through WSM on 5 last night, so checked it out today.

The value for money thing really depends on what you are prepared to pay for it. If you have none of the ones they are offering, £9.99 is agood price for what are excellent quality hardback graphic novel collections.

I was wondering what the product would actually be, and I certainly didn't expect full 6 issue collections on high quality paper, professionallyt bound. These books would sit proud on any shelf.

Now I know damned well I will own plenty of these already, but have subscribed because I really want this collection. This is something you can treasure for decades to come, and the whole thing will look gorgeous with the spine art by Dell'Otto.

So it's up to you, but don't doubt the quality or think this is a rip off like all the cruddy partworks you see.

Excelsior! Make Mine Marvel etc etc
"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/

Dandontdare

The presentation may be lovely, but as mentioned on another thread yesterday, we don't know know just how "classic" the contents will be further down the line (unless there's a full list somewhere?). Seems a bit of a leap in the dark for several hundred quid.

COMMANDO FORCES

I'd only think about buying these if the spines are fucked up and look a bit shit lined up on my bookcase  ;)

SuperSurfer

Glad to see this advertised on TV. Can't remember last time I saw a comic ad on the box.

But not for me.

Got to say, I am really disappointed with the design. Ok, interesting idea for the spine, no doubt in order to play on the completists urge to complete (wouldn't want that on my shelf though) but I think the design is horrible. It has nothing to do with the tone of the material. Swap the images with photos of knitting or sewing and it will look like any of those collectable 'How to...' series. And stretched fonts? Get outta here.

Darren Stephens

Picked up the first book today. Really nice, with fantastic artwork by John Romita Jr (I'm a big fan. And of Spidey, too.). Might pick up the odd book as we go, but there is no way I'll be subbing. Just too much cash in the run.
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Trout

I did laugh out loud when I saw the TV advert for these, because one of their main selling points is that the spines line up neatly.

AND YOU LAUGHED AT US FOR THE SPINES THREAD! WE WERE RIIIIIGHT! WE WERE RIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!

But I'm not much of a Marvel fan so I won't be buying them.

- Trout

vzzbux

Dont go down this route. I have one full Star Wars metal figure/ship set and am currently in my third year of another Star Wars Vehicle/ship set. Have been meaning to cancel this second one for quite some time now but as it is in it's 70's now the end can only be in sight (sigh).

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Spaceghost

I'll get issue 1 for £2.99 but £9.99 for a random Marvel book? No thanks. I could get something I actually want for that price from Amazon like, for instance, most 2000 AD collections.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

johnnystress

I swore to myself that I will never again buy into this whole part-works, 'collect them all' stuff after spending a tenner per issue , for almost 60 issues on a model plane I never actually finished

Dandontdare

You have to admire the psychology of these things though - I KNOW this isn't a good deal, but I'm still tempted! I need to resist so many of these at this time of year - they all seem like such a reasonable idea at the beginning!

Hands up anyone who got suckered into the SF & fantasy Book club too? That cost me quite q bit in hardbacks I didn't really want before I could cancel it (plus a long dispute over being double-charged for a book.)

Mardroid

Quote from: Dandontdare on 03 January, 2012, 11:04:38 AM
You have to admire the psychology of these things though - I KNOW this isn't a good deal, but I'm still tempted! I need to resist so many of these at this time of year - they all seem like such a reasonable idea at the beginning!

They look pretty nice don't they?

One good caveat of this is that you can unsubscribe at any time, so it's not a 6 months/year deal like many of these seem to be. I am strongly considering subscribing for just the first 2 issues (3 or 4 max). The first at 2.99 is certainly good value and 6.99 isn't bad for this kind of thing. And I get the 'free gifts' all in that minus the Wham! bag which I don't want. And one of the issues is free too!

The idea of having the whole bunch with the spine is somewhat alluring, but not enough to get around the price after that.

Alski

With model partworks you HAVE to get the whole lot, and they are a total rip off (£600 to £800 for a model kit!).

With this, if you cancel you still have the ones you've bought, which don't rely on being part of a set.
"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/

Mardroid

Okay, I checked out the terms and conditions on that concernign cancelling subscription. Although it says you can cancel at any time, it says:

"You are free to cancel a Subscription at any time by using the facilities available on the Site or simply by Writing to us, giving us 28 days notice."

So... since it's 28 days notice, does that mean they'd continue sending books in the interim that you have to keep? Possibly not, but I'm uncertain, and think I'll pass on the subscription after all.

I'll keep an eye out in the Newsagents to see if they keep the discount price for the Spidey GN though.

Mardroid

Sorry please ignore my last post:

QuoteSo... since it's 28 days notice, does that mean they'd continue sending books in the interim that you have to keep?

... it being a monthly publication and all. Had a divvy moment there. How embarrassing.

Oh for an edit button.

Spaceghost

Quote from: Mardroid on 04 January, 2012, 03:17:15 AM
Sorry please ignore my last post:

QuoteSo... since it's 28 days notice, does that mean they'd continue sending books in the interim that you have to keep?

... it being a monthly publication and all. Had a divvy moment there. How embarrassing.

Oh for an edit button.

I think it's fortnightly. 20 quid a month for what works out to be 10 issues of reprint material which you may or may not want. Simple mathematics rules this out as a terrible investment.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...